Vancouver Whitecaps FC Roster Dance 2011

"Trialist Massih Wassey has left the team and gone to Kelowna, B.C., to recover from an illness. The twice-capped Canadian international will likely return to the team for another trial when he recovers.

Meanwhile, defender Omar Elmasri has joined the club on an extended trial until December. The Los Angeles-area native has played for the United States at the U-18 level, and his rights are currently owned by Mexican Primera División team Tigres UANL.

The 21-year-old was initially set for a loan deal, but his paperwork didn’t go through before the international transfer deadline, meaning he can play in the MLS Reserve League but not for the Premier Development League team."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/08/24/whitecaps-notebook-squad-left-play-their-jobs

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As per Marc Weber, Wassey has resumed his trial until Thursday. Should see time in Tuesdays reserve game.

Also on trial are Ashley Burbeary from England and Vancouverite Mawuena Mallet.

And a nice tidbit on Wassey...

"Wassey has been playing in Germany. His family moved to Kelowna in 2005. He's on trial until Thurs & should see time in Tue's reserve game."

On paper, I find these latest trialists absolutely shocking, comical even.

I think Soehn, Lenarduzzi, DeSantis and MoJo are all part of the same cult/conspiracy. Whether Winter, Marsh and Renney will also join is so far undetermined but one can only hope in the interest of each club that they have not taken the brotherhood allegiance oath!

I believe Burbeary has played with Victoria Highlanders this season, so it's not like they flew him over here or something.

Clearly, giving the two Canadians a trial is a PR move for those of us who have complained about Canadian content this season. Counterpoint though, the Residency is starting to look pretty good and should ensure that all 50+ players participating are well scouted by MLS. Here's a link to the U18 squad, the U16, and U14s are up there too:

http://club.whitecapsfc.com/dev/residency/U18/roster/default.aspx

Where will the u14's be playing this year?

Also - question for ya. Is it a step up, down, or lateral for these boys who were in PDL last year to play u18 USSDA? Additionally, YNWA, who cares if the players are scouted by MLS? The Whitecaps can and should want to bring them through to their own first team. I guess if an MLS team sees a player as a bright spot they can eventually offer some sort of transfer compensation to the Whitecaps for a player they might value....?

The Whitecaps U-14s will play in the USSDA system as far as I am aware.

From the US Soccer FAQ page: "Each Academy club plays approximately 30 league games, including 6 games played at Showcases. The season begins in September and commences with Finals Week in July. Clubs will break from league play during their local high school soccer season along with periods of inactivity due to weather."

http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/Development-Academy/FAQs.aspx#9

That's a much longer season than PDL.

Where will the u14's be playing this year?

Also - question for ya. Is it a step up, down, or lateral for these boys who were in PDL last year to play u18 USSDA? Additionally, YNWA, who cares if the players are scouted by MLS? The Whitecaps can and should want to bring them through to their own first team. I guess if an MLS team sees a player as a bright spot they can eventually offer some sort of transfer compensation to the Whitecaps for a player they might value....?

My understanding is that even though USSDA will be a step down for Alderson, Clarke, Fisk, etc who played a lot of PDL, the Caps are taking a very serious run at winning the league to justify some of the hoops they jumped through to enter this system.

There are some restrictions on how many matches USSDA players are allowed to compete in per season, but I believe the 93s will "graduate" be able to return to the PDL in July -thereby getting to join in the second half of that season. I suppose this means that there will be additional 89,90,91, and 92s signed to round out the PDL roster for the first half of the season.

My comments about being scouted by MLS refer to the fact that US players are at an advantage in MLS, while US clubs are at a disadvantage. In order for a Canadian to beat out a US players on a US club, they need to be special. If these players are competing day-in and day-out with the US clubs, there's much more chance of getting a professional contract.

Of course I want the Caps to sign all these guys but, let's face it, we've only signed a couple true academy grads to date -despite have 8-10 guys who probably could have made the jump to MLS. At the end of the day, you can't bring 75 players per cycle to the first team. But the more of these guys who go on to play professionally, the better the recruiting will be.

Richard, USSDA doesn't have u14. I also notice they have 2 teams' worth of players at that level - which is great. Also great to see they've signed some kids underage (by as much as 2-3 years!) and thus appear to be selecting "the most technical" not just the physically dominant. Ie, the 2000-born kids from Burnaby.

As part of the expansion, Whitecaps FC have become the first and only Canadian club to join the U.S. Soccer Development Academy (USSDA) – America’s premier youth academy system – and will field a team in both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 leagues. The Whitecaps FC Residency program begins with the U-14 Pre-Academy group featuring players U-13 to U-15 separated into two squads; a senior and junior team for a total pool of 36. Players train in the evenings and attend their local schools. Exhibition matches are scheduled within the Pacific Northwest region against elite club teams, MLS Academies and other USSDA Pre-Academy teams.

Whitecaps Residency kicks off it's fourth season - BC Soccer Web

• 2 weeks later...

Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the signing of Trinidad & Tobago centre back Carlyle Mitchell - a 165 pound CB!! Good to see the Caps following in the old TFC tradition of making squad spots available to players from our direct CONCACAF competition, only after trying out third-rate Canadians (and pseudo Canadians) undoubtedly to be able to have claim that they "exhausted" all Canadian options. Man this club infuriates me sometimes.

Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the signing of Trinidad & Tobago centre back Carlyle Mitchell - a 165 pound CB!!

Yes, sir, there's nothing more intimidating in football than the sight of a shivering bean-pole center half wearing gloves on the pitch in September.

You can just tell THAT is a man to be reckoned with.

Archived