Anyone know of a Peruvian supporter section for the game at BMO?

Lomonty

The Peruvian supporters section is actually at Ivor Wynne Stadium in Hamilton. Counterintuitive I know, but just make sure all your Peruvian buddies go to Hamilton on game day and you'll have a great time.

I thought it was in Saint John...oh wait, that's the Honduran section.

Why the **** are the Canadian sections split up?

Because North End Elite are in section 127 for TFC games and want to stay there for the Canada game, seems fair...

... And it was successful for the Jamaica game, at least where NEE is concerned.

The Canadian sections are actually less split up than before, with the Voyageurs section moving from 104 to 114 (right next to U-Sector in 113).

I figured this game would be similar to the Costa Rica match in that way. A friendly against Peru was always going to be a hard sell in such a soccer-saturated summer.

Oh well. We'll just have to be that much louder.

the BMO people told me that the upper levels will be closed off for this game. the peru support is spilling into 119 and 118.

doesn't seem like the game will be well attended.

bah that sucks. With 16k season ticket holders, and what, 14k on waiting lists... Seems like people are dying for a chance to see soccer at BMO field. Well here it is, and seems like we'll get 12k if we're lucky.

bah that sucks. With 16k season ticket holders, and what, 14k on waiting lists... Seems like people are dying for a chance to see soccer at BMO field. Well here it is, and seems like we'll get 12k if we're lucky.

I think what we are seeing here is that the market for soccer matches in Toronto has become totally over-saturated. Just look at how badly all the friendlies with big name Euro clubs did this summer in Toronto. 5 years ago those games probably all sell out. In a way we're spoiled now.

Plus there is very little optimism surrounding the national team.

Going into the Jamaica match in 2008 there was a bit of a buzz and hope about qualification. Today its a lot different.

Agreed this city has been stuffed with as much soccer as it could possibly handle this summer.

That being said, if the CSA wants to get the word out there about this match they need to step up marketing efforts. Even within the different teams that came here this summer, the amount of promotion was quite different. Inter-PAOK advertised quite a lot, while Juve-Flo didn't do much.

Anyway, if you want to get your message out there you have to communicate with the public. I realize this isn't always easy you really do have to start somewhere.

The answer may be for the national team to test out new waters during these friendlies. Sure put the big WCQ at BMO, but why not a game out in Vancouver again? There are plenty of other markets that would be dying for MNT soccer

The answer may be for the national team to test out new waters during these friendlies. Sure put the big WCQ at BMO, but why not a game out in Vancouver again? There are plenty of other markets that would be dying for MNT soccer

Sadly, I don't think Vancouver is a good location (or any other locations out West) when we are talking about games that will required a lot of Euro-based players.

Sadly, I don't think Vancouver is a good location (or any other locations out West) when we are talking about games that will required a lot of Euro-based players.

Probably true... I guess they'll just have to play future national team games at Richardson in Kingston ;)

This would be a great idea if we had more than 2 natural turf professional level stadiums in the country (Swanguard has a decent pitch but it is hard to call it a professional stadium in any other respect).

This would be a great idea if we had more than 2 natural turf professional level stadiums in the country (Swanguard has a decent pitch but it is hard to call it a professional stadium in any other respect).

Yeah, I don't really see the point in putting any games there. Even a poorly-attended game at BMO will outdraw Swangard and its tiny capacity.

I think what we are seeing here is that the market for soccer matches in Toronto has become totally over-saturated. Just look at how badly all the friendlies with big name Euro clubs did this summer in Toronto. 5 years ago those games probably all sell out. In a way we're spoiled now.

I agree that the market is over-saturated to an extent, but I still think high ticket prices greatly reduce attendance figures. All of the friendlies at BMO Field and Skydome have been overpriced, and the Canada/Peru friendly isn't much better. I can't imagine how many $100+ premium seats will sell for this game. Sadly, ticket prices will probably be the same at BMO for the next Canada friendly, even if none of the expensive seats sell for this one.

Is Empire field ready? I'd say put a game in Ottawa but they tore done half the stands at the only viable stadium.

Archived