Whitecaps building for 2011

tovan1

This is the Swiss player who's born in Quebec. Interesting that he's coming back to play in Canada. He played one game for Switzerland MNT in 2005 (don't know if it was a WCQ or ECQ) and could still be eligible to play for us.

Edit: He played a WCQ against the Faroes.....so he can't play for us.

Pity that - but he looks like a brilliant signing for the Caps, To be honest, I was expecting more guys of this calibre to show up for trials.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the Swiss player who's born in Quebec. Interesting that he's coming back to play in Canada. He played one game for Switzerland MNT in 2005 (don't know if it was a WCQ or ECQ) and could still be eligible to play for us.

Edit: He played a WCQ against the Faroes.....so he can't play for us.

Meh, as long as he can count as a domestic player for the Caps I'll be happy.

In all sincerity, I see absolutely no building for 2011 here, none at all. The player level is too low. None of these signings give us a clear MLS profile.

The Whitecaps have a competitive spirit and a demanding fan base though, meaning they'll know how to change their strategy entirely after the first 10 games. And if the strategy stays the same, they'll have to.

If the Whitecaps are going to add any big league players, I'd be surprised if we saw them come in during the USSF D2 and European seasons. Who's going to fly over from the Championship or the 2.Bundesliga to play in Minnesota and St. Louis because "yeah, we'll give you an MLS contract as soon as possible"?

In all sincerity, I see absolutely no building for 2011 here, none at all. The player level is too low. None of these signings give us a clear MLS profile.

The Whitecaps have a competitive spirit and a demanding fan base though, meaning they'll know how to change their strategy entirely after the first 10 games. And if the strategy stays the same, they'll have to.

I have to agree with what Lord Bob says. A sucessful MLS side is made up of a few outstanding players (by MLS standards) supported by a larger group of solid, unspectacular players who will provide the depth to supporth those stars. What the 'Caps are doing right now are looking to fill those depth positions so that when they bring in the star performers, they'll be well-placed to succeed from day one of season one in MLS. If the 'Caps have a dozen players in place for next season before the end of this season, I'll be confident of them being very successful out of the gate.

I have to agree with what Lord Bob says. A sucessful MLS side is made up of a few outstanding players (by MLS standards) supported by a larger group of solid, unspectacular players who will provide the depth to supporth those stars. What the 'Caps are doing right now are looking to fill those depth positions so that when they bring in the star performers, they'll be well-placed to succeed from day one of season one in MLS. If the 'Caps have a dozen players in place for next season before the end of this season, I'll be confident of them being very successful out of the gate.

Yeah, I don't think anyone believes these are the core of the team type moves, but part of the backbone of depth and players who seem to just cover spots fill gaps and be servicable grinders on the pitch. If Dunfield plays simple football in a simple system with quality players around him(which he does not get in L2) he should be fine in the MLS to play a Utility Midfielder who can eat up minutes. Sure there will be a lot of variables down the road, but he definitely has good shot and gonna get the chance to stick to the MLS squad.

This one makes a lot of sense from an MLS perspective. Plays in Europe and stays in game shape until January then comes over. He is 27, plays left or center back is 6 feet tall and will count as a domestic. Build from the back out is a winning strategy. Glad to see the Caps are thinking along those lines.

Doesn't French-Algerian guy who broke his leg in this first game this season also play in central defense? The 'Caps may be thinking that they already have the pieces of what will be a solid MLS back end with Nolly, Rochet, and Akloul. If they can be solid in defense and add a few decent flair players to the attack, they'll be in decent shape.

Doesn't French-Algerian guy who broke his leg in this first game this season also play in central defense? The 'Caps may be thinking that they already have the pieces of what will be a solid MLS back end with Nolly, Rochet, and Akloul. If they can be solid in defense and add a few decent flair players to the attack, they'll be in decent shape.

Yes he does and for a build from the back out it is looking pretty good so far.

Tsiskaridze Rochat Akloul Knight

Jay Nolly

That is a rather solid back and they will probably bring in some competition for those spots. From their forward I'm less sure but they have so many young promising mid and forwards they will need a D2 team to sort out who will make it. Look for the Caps to have the full pyramid PDL-D2-MLS next year.

I'm pretty impressed with the Rochat signing. Easily the biggest name so far, though I'm not sure I would have heard of him if he wasn't born in Canada to be fair. I believe he's a natural left back, so look out Tsiskaridze. I guess it's somewhat analagous to the Le Toux signing for Seattle, though I'd say Rochat is better and he's domestic.

If Dunfield plays simple football in a simple system with quality players around him(which he does not get in L2) he should be fine in the MLS to play a Utility Midfielder who can eat up minutes. Sure there will be a lot of variables down the road, but he definitely has good shot and gonna get the chance to stick to the MLS squad.

I reckon he'll stick around with Vancouver for as long as Braz and Reda stuck with Toronto.

The activeness of the club is nice to see, as is the addition of Canadians. Do we know yet what the rules are considering what players the Whitecaps can keep and not keep when they move to MLS?

I have been told that the Whitecaps will be able to keep as many players as they want from their current roster when they move to MLS. In addition, it is looking more and more like Americans will count as domestic players for Canadian teams next year. Unforuntately, I do not believe that the reverse will also be true.

I have been told that the Whitecaps will be able to keep as many players as they want from their current roster when they move to MLS. In addition, it is looking more and more like Americans will count as domestic players for Canadian teams next year. Unforuntately, I do not believe that the reverse will also be true.

Whoaa, you have a link for that? This must be new news as I haven't heard anything like that recently.

I have been a big supporter of Canadian teams in the MLS and the USL/NASL, but it strikes me that USSF is stepping up its opposition to treating Canadians on the same level as American across the piste. First, you have the requirement on division 2 that only 25% of teams can not be non-American, than you have the likelyhood that Canadian teams will be able to treat Americans as domestic, but not the other way around. The CSA needs to get involved (if they aren't already) to make it clear there needs to be an equal playing field. I can't believe that such rules in Canada would be acceptable under the immigration laws. Essentially, you are giving the same rights to Americans in Canada as Canadians, but its not reciprocated the other way around. I did read here before that there is some claim that the US cannot treat Canadians the same. If that was the case, I wonder how the USL gets away with doing just that.

I have been a big supporter of Canadian teams in the MLS and the USL/NASL, but it strikes me that USSF is stepping up its opposition to treating Canadians on the same level as American across the piste. First, you have the requirement on division 2 that only 25% of teams can not be non-American, than you have the likelyhood that Canadian teams will be able to treat Americans as domestic, but not the other way around. The CSA needs to get involved (if they aren't already) to make it clear there needs to be an equal playing field. I can't believe that such rules in Canada would be acceptable under the immigration laws. Essentially, you are giving the same rights to Americans in Canada as Canadians, but its not reciprocated the other way around. I did read here before that there is some claim that the US cannot treat Canadians the same. If that was the case, I wonder how the USL gets away with doing just that.

I agree entirely, in fact this gets me a bit irate. How is it possible for the CSA to have accepted this situation? Okay, the clubs are passive because they are new and have no pull, and want the flexibility, but the CSA?

I personally think it is an issue to take up with our politicians, or to get a journalist onto, because any Canadian hearing that would get as outraged as the rest of us.

Yeah, If Americans are domestic for Canada then it has to work the other way as well, like teams like Houston, RSL and KC will surely think it should be, as it would give them extra spots. I believe its the only fair way, plus wouldn't hinder Canadians spots in the MLS as much either. It would basically give Canadians and Americans equal shots at making it on any club in the MLS.

Yeah, If Americans are domestic for Canada then it has to work the other way as well, like teams like Houston, RSL and KC will surely think it should be, as it would give them extra spots. I believe its the only fair way, plus wouldn't hinder Canadians spots in the MLS as much either. It would basically give Canadians and Americans equal shots at making it on any club in the MLS.

Let's not forget, that this is an American American league. We are guests in it, and if we include Montreal as team number 18, we make up only 16% which means we have no pull. MLS was founded to benefit US Soccer, and US players. It's nice that we're involved, but I don't really think they care much about developing Canadian players.

Archived