Canada announces venues for 2010 men's home matches

loyola

Men's National Team

16 April 2010

Canada announces venues for 2010 men's home matches

Canada's men's national team announced today the two venues at which it will play its home international friendly matches this 2010 season. Canada will play at BMO Field in Toronto on Saturday 4 September and Stade Saputo in Montréal on Tuesday 7 September. The announcement was part of a bigger press conference at which Canada outlined its plans for the men’s national team in 2010 including the confirmation of five international matches for its upcoming season.

Away from home, Canada will play Argentina in Buenos Aires on 24 May, Venezuela in Mérida on 29 May, and Ukraine at a venue yet to be announced on 8 October. On home soil, Honduras has been confirmed as the opponent for 7 September.

"This is simply an excellent opportunity for the national team and its players," said Stephen Hart. "Playing at home is always special and I am certain both the players and Canadian fans will welcome this announcement."

Canada's men's national team has an all-time record of 44 wins, 17 draws and 37 losses at home. Its record in Toronto is 14-6-14, including back-to-back draws at BMO Field in 2007 and 2008. Its record in Montréal is 3-1-5, including a win and a loss at Stade Saputo.

Two of the four announced opponents - Argentina and Honduras - will be taking part in the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ this summer.

"Playing quality opposition is the only way to raise standards," said Hart. "The games will allow staff the best possible opportunity to evaluate players. By the same token, it will allow players to test themselves."

Canada has already opened its 2010 season against Jamaica in Kingston, JAM on 30 January with an 0:1 loss. Canada's next match is a historical one as the 24 May match against two-time FIFA World Cup champion Argentina will mark the first time that Canada and Argentina's "A" teams face each other at the international level.

While in South America, Canada will also face Venezuela just five days later. This will mark the second match between the two countries following a 2:2 draw on 1 June 2007.

Returning home, Canada will face Honduras against whom it has compiled a record of 5-4-9 since 1980. Canada most recently faced Honduras in the quarter-final stage of the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup, an 0:1 loss on a penalty in the first half. One month later on 8 October, Canada will face Ukraine for the first time.

Canada is two-time CONCACAF champions at the men's national level, having won the 1985 CONCACAF Men's Championship and 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup. Those two victories qualified Canada for the 1986 FIFA World Cup™ and FIFA Confederations Cup Japan/Korea 2001. Since 2007, Canada's head coach Stephen Hart has posted a record of nine wins, two draws and seven losses.

2010 CANADA'S MEN'S NATIONAL TEAM

31/01/2010 - CAN 0:1 JAM - Kingston, JAM

24/05/2010 - CAN : ARG - Buenos Aires, ARG

29/05/2010 - CAN : VEN - Mérida, VEN

04/09/2010 - CAN : TBA - Toronto, ON

07/09/2010 - CAN : HON - Montréal, QC

08/10/2010 - CAN : UKR - TBA, UKR

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

at Argentina, Buenos Aires, May 24

at Venezuela, Merida, May 29

at Ukraine, unknown city, October 8

home to an unknown opponent, BMO Field, September 4

home to Honduras, Stade Saputo, September 7

Honduras! Stade Saputo! Just like old times!

Dammit, loyola, beat me by that much!

nanananana

I've merged the thread but of course MY thread had to be used as the "main thread" ;)

As for the games, I'm a bit disapointed by Honduras in MTL (I'll probably attend anyway) and would've like to see another opponent. Happy with the Ukraine and Venezuela friendlies.

A bit weird that they announced a match date & venue (BMO in Sept.) but no opponent. Are they interviewing candidate teams for this position? :)

LOL, I suspect that they are negotiating for a quality opponent that may have other options. That is good if the prospective opponent is good, and worth waiting for. I suspect that it should be finalized soon, and that if the first choice is not committing, then the second choice will be a guaranteed show.

BY THE WAY, was the Ecuador match rumour ever asked about at the press conference?

A bit weird that they announced a match date & venue (BMO in Sept.) but no opponent. Are they interviewing candidate teams for this position? :)

Apparently, contracts still have to be signed so they couldn't announce anything yet. And they wouldn't give any clues as to where the opponent is from.

We can't complain about any home matches but Honduras in Montreal? Are the CSA just counting on a large Honduran crowd to boost the gate! I'm interested to see who will play in TO!

A question was asked about Honduras in Montreal. The response was that they will work with local supporters groups - as they did with the Jamaica game in Toronto - to try and ensure a better Canadian crowd than we experienced last time! They also felt that putting the Honduras game in Toronto would have presented them with the same challenges.

BY THE WAY, was the Ecuador match rumour ever asked about at the press conference?

No questions - that I heard - about the Ecuador match rumour.

I did ask about TV coverage for the two games in May. They are working on the Argentina game and hope to have an annoiuncement soon. Then they will see what they can do about the Venezuela game.

A question was asked about Honduras in Montreal. The response was that they will work with local supporters groups - as they did with the Jamaica game in Toronto - to try and ensure a better Canadian crowd than we experienced last time! They also felt that putting the Honduras game in Toronto would have presented them with the same challenges.
It would have been nice to see Honduras in Toronto though ... particularly if we get Jamaica again. Nothing against Jamaica but variety is nice.

Hmm ... I was planning to be in Montreal for Labour Day weekend, and back home in Toronto for September 4th ... might have to rethink that one ...

Learn from mistakes I suppose! I wonder how much interest there will be from the Hondurans for a friendly post WC! Thanks for responding Bill!

There is certain irony in the announcement to play Honduras in Montreal in that I just finished typing a post on an other section of this forum whereby I asked to WF to feel out if there is a commitment from teh CSA to work with supporters groups to ensure that there si better support for Canada at WCQ in order to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen again (ie.: the large vocal support for Honduras at that game at Stade Saputo).

Did someone ask if the CSA looked at the possibility of playing Honduras in St-John's (NF)? It's been 25 years now....

I'm pretty sure Honduras would say No to that idea but it would've been worth trying to play a game there.

They also felt that putting the Honduras game in Toronto would have presented them with the same challenges.

I really believe that that is true. Does anyone recall the match that Jamaica played in Montreal in September of 2005 @ CCR. I think it was 2005 or 2006. There was far stronger support and numbers suppporting Jamaica for the last WCQ against in TO compared to Montreal. Aside from maybe 12 people in the entire stadium, the crowd was solidly behind Canada for that game at CCR. Honduras (Like other central american sides and unlike Jamiaca) really presents a different challenge in the game is a bigger part of the culture and identity of Hondurans. Honduran support was very evident in 2004 as well when the game was played in Canada. And, that game was not played in Montreal.

National teams comes to town or nearby? .. must get out to see all compatriotes.

I too am surprised by selecting Honduras for the Montreal game. However, mabey the CSA want a second shot at the problem so they can fix it.

I am a firm believer in staging games where you have the best support, but since we have such limited venues, I don't think we can afford to be fearful to play teams like Honduras at the venue where WE select for OUR home games.

Either way this game is official. The Honduran swan dive ballet team is coming and the CSA needs to start trying to get more Canadians out for home games. Lets not flambey them until we see the crowd at Saputo this september.

GO Canada!

Max Bell and Ian Clarke from RedNation filed a report regarding the conference and spoke to Hart directly after.

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Canada_confirms_schedule_of_five_remaining_friendlies_for_2010_campaign_apr_16_10_article.shtml

Thanks! I'm a bit worried by the game against Argentina TBH. MLS players and some Euro players won't be available for this game, it will be tough.

When I read that:

Canada will finish off its 2010 campaign with an away match in Ukraine on October 8th.

I'm wondering if the 6 games calendar is complete for our MNT and there's no possibility of adding games (August 11, Oct 13th and Nov 17th are FIFA dates)? If we only play 6 games it will be disapointing IMO and not a big improvement compared to what we did in 2006 (WC year) when we played 5 games. I really hope we'll get 1 or 2 extra games, some Euro or North Africans teams should be available for the Oct and Nov dates.

Archived