Canada announces venues for 2010 men's home matches

loyola

I too am surprised by selecting Honduras for the Montreal game. However, mabey the CSA want a second shot at the problem so they can fix it.

I am a firm believer in staging games where you have the best support, but since we have such limited venues, I don't think we can afford to be fearful to play teams like Honduras at the venue where WE select for OUR home games.

Either way this game is official. The Honduran swan dive ballet team is coming and the CSA needs to start trying to get more Canadians out for home games. Lets not flambey them until we see the crowd at Saputo this september.

GO Canada!

I am not fearful.

It was just so negative. It might make our job a little harder on the supporters end.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We now have only 2 soccer stadiums in Canada. Sad but true. With the loss of Commonwealth, TFC & Impact home fields are it. I don't have a problem with bringing in Honduras to Montreal at this point in time. It will generate some much needed revenue and publicity for the program and it would be nice to have the Honduran community helping to fund Canadian soccer. When it comes to WCQ now that is another story! Put them in the least hospitable locale for those games.

Maybe the CSA shouldn't announce the BMO opponent until later as a way to help ensure a pro-Canadian crowd? So, start selling tickets before the opponent is announced, and then announce it later. I think this would help Canadian supporters who will be there to support Canada regardless of who they are facing! :)

Re: Canada vs. Honduras in Montreal, well I was there for the debacle in WCQ. No way I'm missing the rematch!!!

I am very pleased that we have Honduras as an opponent this year. Granted, it's a friendly but they are a strong CONCACAF acid test opponent: a somewhat physical side, dangerous on the counterattack, will do all the usual stunts to disrupt things, and they may be coming off a successful run in South Africa to boot. If they have their A-listers it will be a top notch side. Bring 'em on and hopefully the home support issued will get sorted out.

I'm tired of these guys kicking sand in our face so, if nothing else, let's just kick the sh*t out of them!

Playing the Ticos at BMO in the earlier fixture would also be great but I think their dance card may already be booked up.

I like the Honduras game. They are exactly the type of team that we have to practice getting good enough to beat, as our past WCQ have shown.

This is a huge opportunity for us in Montreal to right the wrong that was the last Honduras match at SS. Granted, Hondurans won't be flocking from New York and Boston for this one, but still we need to make a statement to take SS back from them for our Nats.

I think the Montreal game will fall a bit flat. Hondurans won't come out with the same passion and numbers than for WCQ, and I'm still having trouble getting over the 2008 game, to be honest. Furthermore, I don't know how much the UM02 are interested in this game, but probably not much.

It's a friendly. Blah.

I think the Montreal game will fall a bit flat. Hondurans won't come out with the same passion and numbers than for WCQ, and I'm still having trouble getting over the 2008 game, to be honest. Furthermore, I don't know how much the UM02 are interested in this game, but probably not much.

It's a friendly. Blah.

I hope you were joking. If we want Canada to play at home we have to support them. A World Cup opponent, at home, and you are complaining that it's just a friendly? Only competitive matches for you then, eh?

It's a friendly. Blah.

In order to re-ignite Daniel's passion, we'll just have to find that security guard who was by the escalator during our march to Saputo in '08....

:D

"friendly" or not, we got embarrassed last time. Time to show up, and turn Saputo into a sea of Canadian Red!!

In order to re-ignite Daniel's passion, we'll just have to find that security guard who was by the escalator during our march to Saputo in '08....

:D

"friendly" or not, we got embarrassed last time. Time to show up, and turn Saputo into a sea of Canadian Red!!

Better change the sponsor back to CIBC.

I have to sort of agree with Daniel. It is a friendly after all and it's unlikely to ignite the same passion that we or the Hondurans had back in '08. One thing is for sure, I still can't and won't wish the hondurans anything but 5-0 defeats in South Africa. Having said that, I will still likely show up.

It may not have the feeling where you are already nervous and buzzing a week before the match, but its a chance to see our national team. And against one of our biggest CONCACAF rivals. So let's take the oppertunity and kick the **** out of them :D

Let me add to my previous comment:

1- The UM02 not being interested in the Canada game as a group is the feeling I'm getting from our board. It's not a judgement, it's what I'm seeing on the boards. Some of it might stem from...

2- The 2008 game. Personnaly, it's the last Canada game where I was really "into it", after 9 years and countless games on TV, on webcast, in the stands, in Canada and away. The Honduras game was like Waterloo. A nearly complete debacle. That Honduras won, that we scored first, that we managed 1/4 points at home, that the stadium was packed with Hondurans just made me want to give up. I haven't (fully), but I've definitely lost a lot of the fire. This game turned off a LOT of people (especially if they didn't live the Jamaica game at BMO).

One of the things I fear here, and going forward (and this is something I mentioned last time around) is the "no colours" rule. When Canada is playing, there should be NO jerseys, t-shirts, scarves or banners of club teams. As the rivalries grow deeper, the only way to be united at games is to man up and wear Canada/V's. Anything else just diminishes the unity within the ranks. With so many Toronto boys coming down to Montreal for the game (and I give them all the props in the world for that), showing up with ANYTHING TFC/group-branded (even if it's red) just alienates many of us.

Canada gear for a Canada game.

With all this said, I'll probably be there for the Canada game, but I'm not sure I'm ready to reclaim my role in the stands from 2008.

1- The UM02 not being interested in the Canada game as a group is the feeling I'm getting from our board. It's not a judgement, it's what I'm seeing on the boards. Some of it might stem from...

2- The 2008 game. Personnaly, it's the last Canada game where I was really "into it", after 9 years and countless games on TV, on webcast, in the stands, in Canada and away. The Honduras game was like Waterloo. A nearly complete debacle. That Honduras won, that we scored first, that we managed 1/4 points at home, that the stadium was packed with Hondurans just made me want to give up. I haven't (fully), but I've definitely lost a lot of the fire. This game turned off a LOT of people (especially if they didn't live the Jamaica game at BMO).

One of the things I fear here, and going forward (and this is something I mentioned last time around) is the "no colours" rule. When Canada is playing, there should be NO jerseys, t-shirts, scarves or banners of club teams. As the rivalries grow deeper, the only way to be united at games is to man up and wear Canada/V's. Anything else just diminishes the unity within the ranks. With so many Toronto boys coming down to Montreal for the game (and I give them all the props in the world for that), showing up with ANYTHING TFC/group-branded (even if it's red) just alienates many of us.

With all this said, I'll probably be there for the Canada game, but I'm not sure I'm ready to reclaim my role in the stands from 2008.

Now that they have grass, play all the MNT games in Toronto.

Easier to have organize supports and no colours thing to argue about. That's the way I see it for the moment.

I distinctly remember one TFC fan in his TFC jersey not getting that it was a Canada game, as Daniel says above, Man up wear Canada gear, or wear civies, not your club colours, that goes for adults and frankly the kids from clubs who will sold discount tickets, the marketing to clubs MUST include the spirit that you come and wear a Canada soccer jersey.

To that end the CSA must begin to work with the V's and others like District Soccer Associations to sell Canada gear, and get the stadium to be a real home stadia.

Stade Saputo can be a Canadian stadium, and frankly I think it can be better venue then BMO in Toronto until Ottawa is able to come back online with a SSS natural turf stadium.

You've also got a larger, more dedicated fanbase for local soccer in Toronto, at least until MLS comes to Montreal. Getting people out for a Canada game when they're willing to give TFC a chance is easier that getting them out in Montreal, where many soccer fans couldn't care less about the Nats OR the Impact.

Archived