Canada announces venues for 2010 men's home matches

loyola

daniel, i havent travelled to many games or seen as many games as u but i was at saputo in 2008 and i still have a sick feeling from that game. I get so frustrated when i speak to my italian friends who are passionate about soccer but wouldnt come to support our MNT even if we paid them. I hope everyone understands that its a hard struggle for us in montreal to get the crowds out for this game

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of the things I fear here, and going forward (and this is something I mentioned last time around) is the "no colours" rule. When Canada is playing, there should be NO jerseys, t-shirts, scarves or banners of club teams. As the rivalries grow deeper, the only way to be united at games is to man up and wear Canada/V's. Anything else just diminishes the unity within the ranks. With so many Toronto boys coming down to Montreal for the game (and I give them all the props in the world for that), showing up with ANYTHING TFC/group-branded (even if it's red) just alienates many of us.

Canada gear for a Canada game.

2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg

I remember the kerfuffle some of the Montreal guys made in the weeks leading up to the Honduras WCQ at Stade Saputo in '08.

There was so much teeth-gnashing and whining about them "possibly" suffering the indignation of having to stand next to someone in a TFC jersey or gear. These are some of the same people who tried to tell us not to wave our U-Sector flags or display our U-Sector banner at the Jamaica match at BMO, despite the fact that U-Sector on its own distributed over 1,000 tickets to that game.

I actually agreed with the "no club colours on neutral ground" stance, but I got so fed up with the pettiness and whining on here that I made it a point to wear my U-Sector scarf (which is red, btw) along with my Canada jersey to the Honduras match.

I just couldn't believe the the audacity to try to tell me what to wear after I travelled six effing hours to support our national team. Actually scratch that, I couldn't believe the audacity of telling me what to wear BEFORE I travelled six hours to support our national team.

I'm sure you see why the colours of a rival club team might not be welcome at a national team match, Rudi. I'm by no means saying "oh, if you saw Impact kits at BMO Field for a friendly you'd be upset" because you probably wouldn't (unless we were playing a nation whose colours were blue and white, i.e. "half of CONCACAF"). I'm just saying that I'm sure you can see the objection.

I'd rather have a guy cheering beside me in TFC kit than no guy cheering next to me at all. But wearing TFC supporters' gear to a national team match just because you can seems like needlessly dividing what is already a pretty small fanbase.

I'm sure you see why the colours of a rival club team might not be welcome at a national team match, Rudi. I'm by no means saying "oh, if you saw Impact kits at BMO Field for a friendly you'd be upset" because you probably wouldn't (unless we were playing a nation whose colours were blue and white, i.e. "half of CONCACAF"). I'm just saying that I'm sure you can see the objection.

I'd rather have a guy cheering beside me in TFC kit than no guy cheering next to me at all. But wearing TFC supporters' gear to a national team match just because you can seems like needlessly dividing what is already a pretty small fanbase.

Again, I agree with the rationale behind it. I didn't agree with the holier-than-thou way some were posting on here at the time, and it seems as though we may have to face the same issue again years later.

Montreal should worry about getting more people to cheer on the home side in their little stadium rather than what Canadian fans are potentially wearing.

Just curious, but did anyone wear TFC gear at Saputo? Wasn't there one guy who wore a TFC jersey to the St. VAG game and then he took it off when he was asked to? So why the big stink?

I don't recall seeing any at all. It was much (whining) ado about nothing, in that regard.

I find it a bit insulting that UM02 seem to think TFC supporters group members are so naive and unsophisticated that they would choose to wear TFC gear to a game at Stade Saputo, in the designated supporters section no less, without knowing the implications of such actions.

To be honest, the only piece of club gear that really incensed me at SS was the douchebag wearing a Whoregreaves Man United jersey. He wasn't in the supporters section, but that was the height of ignorance in my mind.

I did, however see several people (again, outside the designated supporters section) in Impact gear though.

I have been trying the CSA online shop for over a year now I think, but they have not refilled the stock of MNT jerseys. I have sent I think 3 emails to ask where I could buy MNT jerseys in Montreal and when tyhey would have new ones online, but I have yet to receive a response. I think this is an issue that should be adressed before the games take place because I really want my MNT jersey!!:D

If you want to bring your TFC kit @ Montreal, do as you like but don't brag about having the right to do it. If you see someone with TFC gear, don't give him ****. If you have MNT gear, please, wear it!

Just use your common sense.

I find it a bit insulting that UM02 seem to think TFC supporters group members are so naive and unsophisticated that they would choose to wear TFC gear to a game at Stade Saputo, in the designated supporters section no less, without knowing the implications of such actions.

Except there were people wearing TFC kits in the Supporters section. (Not to mention the idiot wearing his blue and white Toronto Blue Jays hat). Whether they were members of TFC Supporters groups, I don't know.

In any case, I can't believe the audacity of the Toronto people who can't believe the audacity of the Montreal people. I think the request was perfectly reasonable and something the Voyageurs should push for for all home matches, whether it be Toronto, Montreal or Edmonton.

I just looked through marktci's flickr pics of that night, i couldn't see any TFC jerseys in any of them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marktci/sets/72157607167376008/

Anyone with pics of said idiots wearing TFC gear please feel free to post them...

edit: This must be the guy with the Blue Jays hat:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drowcliffe/2647926604/in/pool-thevoyageurs

Oh wait, no, that's another can of worms...

There is going to be cross over for a while.

Especially since we play games so rarely.

Perhaps now with more regular Canada games we can really start to build a better support culture around it. I don't think there are many deep into the supporters culture of any of the TFC supporters groups who would wear tfc gear there.

Any that would, it is possible they don't even read any of the boards. But we can't be dicks to these people either. It's going to take time get those kinds of messages across and if they are willing to haul their butt six hours to a game in another city, these are people we want to convert.

Except there were people wearing TFC kits in the Supporters section. (Not to mention the idiot wearing his blue and white Toronto Blue Jays hat). Whether they were members of TFC Supporters groups, I don't know.

In any case, I can't believe the audacity of the Toronto people who can't believe the audacity of the Montreal people. I think the request was perfectly reasonable and something the Voyageurs should push for for all home matches, whether it be Toronto, Montreal or Edmonton.

But this assumes that there is a connection between said Toronto people wearing TFC gear and the supporters groups themselves. Specifically the USector/RPB/V's crossover. The territorial supporters club thing is extremely alien to the rest of the North American sports scene. There is almost no sporting event in any sport you go to and think twice about what you are wearing.

Go to a hockey, CFL game ect... you see everything. These people just have no idea. They are our target market, not targets.

But this assumes that there is a connection between said Toronto people wearing TFC gear and the supporters groups themselves. Specifically the USector/RPB/V's crossover. The territorial supporters club thing is extremely alien to the rest of the North American sports scene. There is almost no sporting event in any sport you go to and think twice about what you are wearing.

Go to a hockey, CFL game ect... you see everything. These people just have no idea. They are our target market, not targets.

Agree 100 %.

People have to put things into perspective. It will take time before everyone "gets it" but at that time I got the impression that the MTL-Toronto rivalry was put into the spotlights when what was really important was to organize support for our NT.

Some few people will wear TFC stuff in MTL games in the future but it's not a reason to get after them unless you are 100 % that person is doing this just to provoke.

For those of us who do "get it" - no club gear at Nats matches, please. It's just common sense.

Maaaaaaybe if you support London FC (PDL) and you travel to a Canada match in Vancouver... then okay, wear something minor from your club, like a hat or something. But in this scenario, a Canada flag with "London" lettering sewn/written on is preferable.

The request is reasonable. Anything past that (and there is historical precedent for that on this board) is not.

This "problem" only really exists for games at Stade Saputo. At BMO, the TFC supporters groups are separate from the V's area, and I highly doubt we'd be telling our members not to wear their SG gear to their regular seats.

I actually agreed with the "no club colours on neutral ground" stance, but I got so fed up with the pettiness and whining on here that I made it a point to wear my U-Sector scarf (which is red, btw) along with my Canada jersey to the Honduras match.

Do I have to say something witty, or can your quotes speak for themselves?

Do I have to say something witty, or can your quotes speak for themselves?

You want a "witty" way to point out that I wore my U-Sector scarf out of spite for the overzealous way some here were trying to tell us what not to wear beforehand?

I proved my point, that the world didn't end if a SG item was worn at a national team match. This despite me initially agreeing with the stance, as I've stated numerous times.

But sure, try to be snarky on this one. Clearly it's gone completely over your head.

As long as we're too busy "proving points" to simply put our full combined support behind the national team, we're in trouble.

Edit: Let's also remember that the "no-colours" issue came up because TFC was playing a game the same day as the Honduras game. For St-VAG, there was virtually nor problems.

As long as we're too busy "proving points" to simply put our full combined support behind the national team, we're in trouble.

Was I not there screaming my head off at both WCQ games at Stade Saputo in 2008? Did my scarf stop anyone else from doing the same?

IIRC, I showed up and provided the large Canadian flag that adorned our section, as well. It's really silly and really petty to question the support of those of us who show up from hundreds of kilometres away to support the same side as you. And by making comments like the one above, you are doing just that IMO.

can't we all just get along?

We aren't nearly a big enough community of supporters to really be having this type of argument, IMHO.

Is it better that everyone sport offical NT gear...yes.

do I personally care if i'm standing next to a guy in a whitecaps or impact jersey? ... Nope. just don't be cheering for the guys playing against Canada and you're my buddy.

lets tone down the rhetoric a notch. arguing about what to wear to a national team event is not what the V's are about..

can't we all just get along?

We aren't nearly a big enough community of supporters to really be having this type of argument, IMHO.

Is it better that everyone sport offical NT gear...yes.

do I personally care if i'm standing next to a guy in a whitecaps or impact jersey? ... Nope. just don't be cheering for the guys playing against Canada and you're my buddy.

lets tone down the rhetoric a notch. arguing about what to wear to a national team event is not what the V's are about..

Spot on.

I disagree.

I can understand the reasoning, but I can disagree.

We should just be bloody glad people are showing up to the games. Do you think it's easy to get CMNT gear? It's bloody well impossible on the Prairies. If I showed up to a CMNT game, I'd be rocking my TFC gear, because really, that's all I have. I don't care if it's at BMO or if it's at Saputo...I'd wear it. It's red and white, and I have nothing else.

It's not like I can just walk into a bloody jersey store here and pick one up, nobody stocks it. I suppose I could wear a Riders jersey, but do you really want to see that ugly mess (from a different sport and the wrong colours) in the supporters section? I'm lucky if I can find anything soccer related here, let alone CMNT gear.

I distinctly remember one TFC fan in his TFC jersey not getting that it was a Canada game, as Daniel says above, Man up wear Canada gear, or wear civies, not your club colours ...
It's the right colour ... it's better than not wearing red - I'd imagine that bright red really isn't something that most people have in their wardrobes.

And it's far better than Impact fans wearing their shirts for a Honduras game.

^When I was home for the Olympics, I was going to an event with my sister and her kids just a few hours after my plane landed. Not knowing whether I'd have any Canada gear or not, my sister bought me a red T-shirt with 'Canada' written across the front. I think it cost her $10-15.

^When I was home for the Olympics, I was going to an event with my sister and her kids just a few hours after my plane landed. Not knowing whether I'd have any Canada gear or not, my sister bought me a red T-shirt with 'Canada' written across the front. I think it cost her $10-15.

Im sure just a plain red tshirt at old navy or wal mart can be found at an even cheaper price and combined with ur scarf it will do the trick. I agree no club colors

Archived