Ukraine - Canada , October friendly

jonny63

I know I say this a lot. But this search for depth is going to pay off when it comes around to the World Cup Qualifiers and Gold Cup.

When injuries and suspensions strike our A squad we're going to have guys who are playing decent football to back them up. I'm glad the CSA finally gets it.

Do you know how many players were invited to various training camps with the MNT prior to the 2008 WCQ (starting with the 2006 Jamaica game in Montreal)?

I'm not sure why you make it sound like it's a premier?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Grizzly mentioned I think we talk about Rob Friend in a 4-3-3 we overlook the fact he opens up so much space for the wingers. It's no coincidence we saw Simeon Jackson have his best game for the Nats against Peru playing with Friend up top and Josh Simpson had his best game with us playing in the same formation with Friend against the Hondurans.

Excellent point. I think Canada will have a solid squad. If we could ever get JDG2 back, I think we'd have a pretty strong squad (all things held the same) over the next two/three World Cup cycles.

I actually don't see much of a drop occurring with the other two MLS sides coming in.

Don't forget Hoillet and Bunbury joining up... both will be CMNT players imo

These two new MLS sides are going to push many players in our pool to a new level also. Players like Bellisomo, Davies, Teibert, Edwini Bonsu, Gage, Dunfield will be playing in MLS (most likely) next season and then you'll have Montreal coming in and pushing more Canadians into MLS.

Back on topic of the Friendly and I know it hasn't been said but thats awesome that DC United is letting Jakovic come for this match.. hopefully RSL will be just as nice with Johnson! I was hoping we might see Edgar start but it'll probably be Jakovic and Straith in the middle.

With regards to Friend he's a great league player. He's just not suitable as an international striker. You guys make great points about the lack of service and that there is my point.

In league competition Rob Friend plays 40+ games per year and trains day in and day out with his teamates. In the international game we play 6-8 games per year and he doesn't even come out or get called due to injury etc. on some of those games. Friend has had some moments, but overall has been clearly ineffective for Canada, and whether or not it's on him personally is not the point. We just don't have TIME to develope our attack around one person. He has been ineffective where others have been quite effective, most notably Gerba.

We're having problems scoring goals and his strike rate is just not acceptable at the international level.

It's never been said better.

I has been quite a distance of hard work. Uccello has made many hurdles towards his climb to where he is today. I can also tell you he is absoulblty excited to be part of this call up, ready as can be and has assured me that he will not disapoint anyone that has followed him since his move to Italy.

He cannot wait to get on the pitch and look forwards to meeting all in Kiev and his first goal for Canada.

thanks bigbird..

I has been quite a distance of hard work. Uccello has made many hurdles towards his climb to where he is today. I can also tell you he is absoulblty excited to be part of this call up, ready as can be and has assured me that he will not disapoint anyone that has followed him since his move to Italy.

He cannot wait to get on the pitch and look forwards to meeting all in Kiev and his first goal for Canada.

thanks bigbird..

That is great news, you must be very proud! I'm so happy to see your son finally get a call to the MNT! I hope he does well! Congratulations to Big and Little Bird!

thanks bigbird..

Congrats from me as well, that is great to hear!

Back on topic of the Friendly and I know it hasn't been said but thats awesome that DC United is letting Jakovic come for this match.. hopefully RSL will be just as nice with Johnson! I was hoping we might see Edgar start but it'll probably be Jakovic and Straith in the middle.

It won't happen with Johnson because they will make the playoffs. DC United has been eliminated of the playoffs for weeks. So it is not surprising to see that they let Jakovic play.

By the way, has Josh Simpson been called up?

It'll be interesting to see what formation we play since we've called attacking players Nakajima, Simpson, Jackson, Uccello, Haber and Occean so far and I'd imagine in his current form and lack of time in the last friendlies we can expect Iain Hume

How about a speculative starting 11?

Hirschfeld

Peters-Jackovic-Straith-Klukowski

Hume-Hutch-Nakajima

Jackson-Occean-Simpson

Give first timers like Edgar, Uccello, and Haber second half subs, and try to get Pacheco some minutes. I don't think he should be starting though since he hasn't been getting much playing time at his club. Also, I don't expect to see TFC players but with them out of the playoffs one or two might get called in, maybe as last minute cover.

How about a speculative starting 11?

Hirschfeld

Peters-Jackovic-Straith-Klukowski

Hume-Hutch-Nakajima

Jackson-Occean-Simpson

Give first timers like Edgar, Uccello, and Haber second half subs, and try to get Pacheco some minutes. I don't think he should be starting though since he hasn't been getting much playing time at his club. Also, I don't expect to see TFC players but with them out of the playoffs one or two might get called in, maybe as last minute cover.

I like it sort of a future MNT backline... Stalteri should be on the bench for this one unless he is in midfield (where we are gonna be thinnest for this match), I would start Bernier over Nakajima as he is more of a midfielder/defensive player and we can't have Hume and Nakajima in this centre because then Hutchinson will be trapped with the defensive duties

Men's National Team

01 October 2010

Canada announces roster for Ukraine camp

Canada has announced its roster for the upcoming national camp and Men's International Friendly match in Kyev, Ukraine. The Canadian team will face Ukraine this coming Friday 8 October at the Valeriy Lobanosvskyi in Kyev. The Canadian camp runs 3-9 October.

Coach Hart has selected 18 players for the camp, 17 of whom play professional soccer in Europe. Only Dejan Jakovic, who has been eliminated before the Major League Soccer playoffs, will fly across the Atlantic ocean for the Men's International Friendly.

Four players are taking part in their first national camp of the 2010 season: David Edgar, Marcus Haber, Olivier Occean and Julian Uccello. This means that coach Hart's pool has grown to 47 different players for the 2010 season, thus reflecting Hart's objective to see as many different players in this first year of a new FIFA World Cup™ cycle.

Canada's next major competition is next year's CONCACAF Gold Cup. Ukraine, the 26th-ranked country on the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking, is one of the co-hosts for the UEFA Euro 2010 championship.

1- GK- Lars Hirschfeld | NOR / Vålerenga Fotball | Edmonton, AB, CAN

2- D- David Edgar | ENG / Burnley FC | Kitchener, ON, CAN

3- D- Marcel de Jong | GER / FC Augsburg | Toronto, ON, CAN

4- D- Dejan Jakovic | USA / DC United | Etobicoke, ON, CAN

5- D- Adam Straith | GER / Energie Cottbus | Victoria, BC, CAN

6- M- Nik Ledgerwood | GER / SV Wehen Wiesbaden | Lethbridge, AB, CAN

7- D- Paul Stalteri | GER / Borussia Monchengladbach | Brampton, ON, CAN

8- M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / CD Santa Clara | Ponta Delgada, POR

10- F- Simeon Jackson | ENG / Norwich City FC | Mississauga, ON, CAN

11- M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | DEN / AC Horsens | Calgary, AB, CAN

12- M- Julian Uccello | ITA / FC Crotone | Woodbridge, ON, CAN

13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | NED / PSV Eindhoven | Brampton, ON, CAN

14- M- Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault | GER / SC Preußen Münster | Montréal, QC, CAN

15- M- Josh Simpson | TUR / Vestel Manisaspor | Victoria, BC, CAN

16- F- Marcus Haber | SCO / St. Johnstone FC | Vancouver, BC, CAN

17- F- Olivier Occean | GER / Kickers Offenbach | Brossard, QC, CAN

20- M- Patrice Bernier | DEN / FC Nordsjælland | Brossard, QC, CAN

22- GK- David Monsalve | FIN / Inter Turku | Brampton, ON, CAN

Archived