Ukraine - Canada , October friendly

jonny63

^I think Ucello will have to make one hell of an impression during training to be leading the line in the attack. I wonder if SH will opt to use Jackson in the centre, with the experienced Nakajima-Farran on the flank? Or will OO be in the central position with Jackson and Simpson retaining their flank roles?

Both of those would be interesting combos and I would be glad to see etiher, maybe both during the match. Remember vs. Honduras Issey came on for Friend and then Jackson took the central spot up top for a bit also. I'd like us to start with (and I think we will start with)...

-------------------------Occean------------------------------

Simpson-------------------------------------------Jackson

-----------------Hutchinson---Pacheco-------------------

------------------------Bernier--------------------------------

De Jong--------Straith--------Jakovic--------Stalteri

--------------------Hirschfeld-----------------------------------

Issey on for Occean

Uccello or Haber on for Jackson

Edgar on for Stalteri (move Straith to RB, Edgar to centre)

I haven't seen Bourgault in a while, maybe he can be another Dunfield type depth player. I think the starting lineup I posted is what Hart will go with, really he doesn't have too many options other than switching 3 or 4 guys in and out from that XI. I can't stress enough how we need Hutchinson, Pacheco and Bernier to control the midfield, we need to see what they can do offensively this is an audition for everyone. Bernier needs a good performance also imo with other midfielders stepping up or into the picture. If we play a 4-5-1 Mexico 2008 away I am going to be pissed we need to see what Hutch and Pacheco offer offensively

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we play a 4-5-1 Mexico 2008 away I am going to be pissed we need to see what Hutch and Pacheco offer offensively
An away match against a stronger Eastern European opponent than Poland or Macedonia? Probably a counterattacking formation with numbers in midfield.

I am so jealous :( even despite this game being the number 1 target of Al Qaeda this week! :)

I can relate; really wish I could have gone to this game. On the security front maybe our travelling pals should be on the lookout for lions instead of Al Queda. ;)

http://www.timescolonist.com/Lions+attack+tamer+Ukraine+circus+mauling+caught+tape+tourist/3624296/story.html

Im fine with counter attacking... but don't you remember that match?

Trying to play nice possession attacking football away in Mexico is a recipe for disaster. Let's remember we ended the first half at 0-0 and could've stole a point if it wasn't for poor marking on crosses. Not pretty to watch but the only real solution we had considering who we are and our opponent. It's similar to the strategy Dasovic used against Cruz Azul.

How tall is Julian, btw?? Wikipedia says he is 175 cm while goal.com has him at 180 cm. He's 24 this month, right?

By the way what i meant in height is that he jumps high not that he is tall he is a bird lololololol and yes he is 24 this month...

Trying to play nice possession attacking football away in Mexico is a recipe for disaster. Let's remember we ended the first half at 0-0 and could've stole a point if it wasn't for poor marking on crosses. Not pretty to watch but the only real solution we had considering who we are and our opponent. It's similar to the strategy Dasovic used against Cruz Azul.

That game was never going to be 0-0. It was really Mexico's attack against our back 4 all game, our midfield didn't hold its shape or keep the Mexicans out of the final third so it was just constant pressure on the back four. They did an incredible job to keep it at 0-0 through the first half but they were bound to collapse eventually and they did through the two crosses you mentioned.

I have no objection to bunkering to win a point in places like Mexico, but giving up the middle of the park like we did in the that game is something completely different.

That game was never going to be 0-0. It was really Mexico's attack against our back 4 all game, our midfield didn't hold its shape or keep the Mexicans out of the final third so it was just constant pressure on the back four. They did an incredible job to keep it at 0-0 through the first half but they were bound to collapse eventually and they did through the two crosses you mentioned.

I have no objection to bunkering to win a point in places like Mexico, but giving up the middle of the park like we did in the that game is something completely different.

Exactly.. I've never seen such a blatant bunker it wasn't a matter of if but when they would score. Friend coudln't hold the ball up top and our wingers were uselesss.

Exactly.. I've never seen such a blatant bunker it wasn't a matter of if but when they would score. Friend coudln't hold the ball up top and our wingers were uselesss.

But it was the right tactic IMO. Do you think another style would've got us a better result? That was our best result ever in Mexico.

BTW, when a team plays like that against a stronger opponent you always wonder when the favorite will finally score and sometimes they don't (ie: TFC vs Cruz Azul). There was no guarantee Mexico would score on us on that day. Lars had a couple of great saves but he didn't face a barrage.

But it was the right tactic IMO. Do you think another style would've got us a better result? That was our best result ever in Mexico.

BTW, when a team plays like that against a stronger opponent you always wonder when the favorite will finally score and sometimes they don't (ie: TFC vs Cruz Azul). There was no guarantee Mexico would score on us on that day. Lars had a couple of great saves but he didn't face a barrage.

I agree with you, however it was not our best result in Mexico. We drew Mexico 1-1 during the 1982 WCQ campaign.

I agree with you, however it was not our best result in Mexico. We drew Mexico 1-1 during the 1982 WCQ campaign.

That game was in Honduras. I was talking about results away in Mexico. If I'm not mistaken I think we've always lost by more than 2 goals there except for 2008.

That game was in Honduras. I was talking about results away in Mexico. If I'm not mistaken I think we've always lost by more than 2 goals there except for 2008.

We actually drew Mexico twice within a span of a year. On Nov. 16, 1980, we drew Mexico 1-1 in a WCQ in Mexico City, and on Nov. 15, 1981, we earned the exact same result in Tegucigalpa.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/games.asp?display=all

Didn't we score a famous free kick goal at azteca that gave us a result?

Yes, the famous Gerry Gray free kick goal in Mexico in 1980 for a 1-1 draw in the semi-final round. Canada and Mexico advanced into the final round, eliminating the US in the process. The entire final round was held in Honduras with the 6 teams playing each other once. A 2-2 draw with Cuba ended up eliminating us - had we won that game, we would have qualified instead of El Salvador (who went on to lose 10-1 in the first round to Hungary - a team that didn't even qualify for the 2nd round).

Personally I don't think we have the right players to play bunker style nor do I think that Mexico is such an overwhelming strong team that we need to bunker or that it is our best strategy against them. That being said we aren't necessarily going to employ a completely offensive strategy either. Yallop, for example, often tried to play a style that was more offensive than the players we had available, a situation then exacerbated by his often not selecting our best players. We really need someone who can analyze our players strenghts and weaknesses and employ them in a strategy that fits them and can be effective against each particular opposition. It remains to be seen whether Hart can do this and I think the next couple of games will be important in determining this. Up until the Honduras game my answer would have been no, but there were some positive signs against Honduras.

I think Hart is still evaluating players, hence the rather large pool that has been called! This is far from the finished product and he still has some time to identify who he wants in the pool of 18 or so! Club situations and injuries have prevented him from having his first choice selections for any match yet but that's not always a bad thing IMO! I re-watched the Honduras match last night and on 2nd/3rd viewing I was quite impressed with Dunfield overall! Hart got a positive result there by playing a good system, playing to their strengths! I don't like when he isolates Friend up front, I'm willing to give him a little more time to get evaluate things and get a system sorted out!

Personally I don't think we have the right players to play bunker style nor do I think that Mexico is such an overwhelming strong team that we need to bunker or that it is our best strategy against them. That being said we aren't necessarily going to employ a completely offensive strategy either. Yallop, for example, often tried to play a style that was more offensive than the players we had available, a situation then exacerbated by his often not selecting our best players. We really need someone who can analyze our players strenghts and weaknesses and employ them in a strategy that fits them and can be effective against each particular opposition. It remains to be seen whether Hart can do this and I think the next couple of games will be important in determining this. Up until the Honduras game my answer would have been no, but there were some positive signs against Honduras.

Realistically, the game has changed since last time we had a good chance but i do agree with grizzly and not to often, that it is nessary to look at strenghts of a player but foremost defensive obligations to the team. You have to think how in earth are we going to stop oppenents scoring goals against us before we can start looking at scoring goals against them. I always thought its easiet to defend a stronger team then it is to score against one I thought it was....and in most cases too we are underdogs so why not think that way. Players have to be placed in the right position to obtain a full time result of 0-0 against anyone and we will do fine.

I would take a 0-0 draw result anytime in these games and consider it job done well by the MNT and a move forward to achieve how to score maybe a goal or two in the qualifying rounds down the road.

I believe the best offense is a good defence without that you have little chance in winning any game at Q/R

I think Hart is still evaluating players, hence the rather large pool that has been called! This is far from the finished product and he still has some time to identify who he wants in the pool of 18 or so! Club situations and injuries have prevented him from having his first choice selections for any match yet but that's not always a bad thing IMO! I re-watched the Honduras match last night and on 2nd/3rd viewing I was quite impressed with Dunfield overall! Hart got a positive result there by playing a good system, playing to their strengths! I don't like when he isolates Friend up front, I'm willing to give him a little more time to get evaluate things and get a system sorted out!

come on now your playing honduras if you want to Qualify you have to think past that there a small team compared to teams that will be there please, you can watch the match as many times as you want! Why do you not watch the Argentina match or Brazil hold them to a 0-0 result and you almost there in a W/C

come on now your playing honduras if you want to Qualify you have to think past that there a small team compared to teams that will be there please, you can watch the match as many times as you want! Why do you not watch the Argentina match or Brazil hold them to a 0-0 result and you almost there in a W/C

It's more fun to watch Canadian victories, they are too few and far between! lol I don't really understand what you're asking me, I just wanted to have another good look at the Honduran match! The Argentina match was of course always going to be an uphill battle, I don't know if a different system would change that result, they are much better than any team we'll face in CONCACAF of course!

Teams like Honduras are exactly who we need to be measuring ourselves against. There's no reason that we should be figuring out how to draw teams like Brazil or Argentina, because we still haven't proven that we can consistently beat the likes of Honduras or other CONCACAF sides (Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama, etc.) in matches that count.

I think we'd all be thrilled if Canada becomes good enough just to make it to the WC. Any results at all in the finals would be a bonus.

yes I know gator it is fun watching the victory. I think any good team set up right can restrict goals from going into the net and that wher i would start. It's more exciting a tie a match against an opponent that is in a better class then Honduras.. I believe we are better them anyhow, so really we should win that IMO. I just like challenges like Ukraine for example a 0-0 result there is a move forward for us as a nation, i just feel better if less goals scored against us the better chance us winning matches on the long run thats all im saying.. I think we can do it we have the talent and the players to make this happen and nothing would make me more proud then to see Canada move up the rankings just in this way of thinking I believe anyhow I could be wrong that is what I'm saying...pls do not take it in the wrong way i meant well gator.

Realistically, the game has changed since last time we had a good chance but i do agree with grizzly and not to often, that it is nessary to look at strenghts of a player but foremost defensive obligations to the team. You have to think how in earth are we going to stop oppenents scoring goals against us before we can start looking at scoring goals against them. I always thought its easiet to defend a stronger team then it is to score against one I thought it was....and in most cases too we are underdogs so why not think that way. Players have to be placed in the right position to obtain a full time result of 0-0 against anyone and we will do fine.

I would take a 0-0 draw result anytime in these games and consider it job done well by the MNT and a move forward to achieve how to score maybe a goal or two in the qualifying rounds down the road.

I believe the best offense is a good defence without that you have little chance in winning any game at Q/R

I've always thought this is the right approach to build a succesfull team.

Archived