Ukraine - Canada , October friendly

jonny63

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ When did we play Faroe Islands?

According to wiki 1989:

Although the national team has been in existence since 1930, neither FIFA nor the Faroese FA considers matches before 1988 as official. The first official victory was a 1-0 win, in friendly against Canada in 1989.

But I have never found anything about this game on the CSA website.

Ok more informations about that alledge defeat against the Faroe Islands in 1989, it wasn't an official match for us. We played Denmark 2 days earlier and then played Faroe Islands. That's why you can't find this game on the CSA website:

12/04/1989, Ålborg, Ålborg stadion, 10400

Friendly International

DENMARK 2 (Lars Elstrup 37', Kim Vilfort 73')

CANADA 0

Denmark: Troels Rasmunssen (Peter Schmeichel 46'), Lars Olsen [c], John Larsen,

(1-3-3-3) Kent Nielsen (Henrik Larsen 52'), Jan Bartram (John Helt 80'),

John Jensen, Ulrich Moseby (Kim Vilfort 46'), Michael Laudrup,

Brian Laudrup (Mark Strudal 75'), Lars Elstrup, Flemming Povlsen.

Canada: Craig Forrest, Peter Sarantopoulos, Ian Bridge, Randolph Samuel,

(4-4-2) Anthony Nocita, Norman Odinga, James Lowery, Colin Miller, Drew Ferguson

(Guido Tittotto 84'), Nicholas Gilbert (Douglas Muirhead 55'),

Alexander Bunbury.

Referee: Thor Odd Pressberg (Norway).

Coaches: Denmark: Josef 'Sepp' Piontek (West Germany).

Canada: Robert Lenarduzzi.

Note: The second goal is also reported as an own-goal by Ian Bridge.

14/04/1989, Tórshavn, Gundadalur, 4000

Friendly International

FAROE ISLANDS 1 (Torkil Nielsen 4')

CANADA 0

Faroe Islands: Jens Martin Knudsen, Jóannes Jakobsen [c], Julian Hansen,

(1-4-4-1) Tummas Eli Hansen, Mikkjal Danielsen, Kristian Petersen, Poul Enok Hansen,

Ábraham Hansen, Torkil Nielsen, Kári Reynheim, Kurt Mørkøre

(Gunnar Mohr 46').

Canada:

Referee: Erik Fredriksson (Sweden).

Coaches Faroe Islands: Páll Guðlaugsson (Iceland).

Canada: Robert Lenarduzzi.

Note: Not official for Canada.

That line up back in 1989 brings back some memories. Forrest, Bridge, Samuel, Odinga, a very undersized Jamie Lowery, Bunbury and Colin Miller. But I don't remember Drew Ferguson (my memory must be fading as the hair gets gray).

Drew Ferguson lives in Ottawa. I randomly met him at Pub101 in the market while watching a Gold Cup game against El Salvador last summer. Seemed surprised and appreciative that a few people wearing Canada gear were actually watching.

Drew Ferguson lives in Ottawa. I randomly met him at Pub101 in the market while watching a Gold Cup game against El Salvador last summer. Seemed surprised and appreciative that a few people wearing Canada gear were actually watching.

That's cool, thanks. Is Pub 101 any good for watching soccer? Maybe an Ottawa V get together there for the Ukraine game?

That's cool, thanks. Is Pub 101 any good for watching soccer? Maybe an Ottawa V get together there for the Ukraine game?

Yeah it's pretty good for watching games. Especially if they put the game up on the big projector which shouldn't be an issue unless there's a football, baseball, golf tournament, NHL exhibition game, tennis tournament, or bowling championship on... :)

But no, it was good, they have Setanta, GOL tv, cheap beer, opposing fans, and former MNT players so it was pretty fun. We could definitely try it out for the Ukraine match if it's broadcast on any semi-conventional channel.

maccaliam:

Put me down for at least two. Still working on the accomodations..

I have heard back from Morgan Quarry about tickets; how many do we need? so far I have finchster (1), scorpio (1), and myself (2)... is four enough? anyone else need any? Alex O, are you guys sorted for your tickets?

On the topic of player selection I hope we leave deGuzman at home. He has been in poor form lately, and yesterdays TFC game was the worst performance I have ever seen from him. He should have to play back into form to warrant a call up in my opinion. It will be interesting to see if does get called.

While I agree with you, Hart stated he was going to fly to Spain to speak with Jono about playing for Canada. I don't know whatever happened with that, but if he did or is going to do so I assume Hart has to play nice with Julian for a while at least

Interesting---- but I think correct--- scenario. I've seen many televised and live matches, and my gut feeling is that he LOOKS like he's doing a good

job because "he's everywhere" (very BUSY) but when it comes to the PASS or the TACKLE that counts; it's not there, or it doesn't quite MAKE it there.

I did see a few Deportivo games but not enough to make a comparison . If we have him for Kiev I hope he's psyched and ready to play for us.

Good point about the Jono situation, but I still don't think he should get called. It would be nice to see Jono play for Canada but if he doesn't want to show because his brother's not performing up to the standard he's capable of, then do we really want that situation in the locker room? These guys are professionals and we should treat them really well; but we shouldn't walk on eggshells around them.

The point of the matter is that for TFC deGuzman has been awful. For Canada he has been very sub par. He hasn't looked great since the Brazil game in Seattle. We all know he's extremely talented but no one should get a free ride on this team. Going back to the Brazil game some of our best play has been without JDG. The Venezuela game, and the Mexico game in Edmonton to name a couple.

Hart should continue to reward the guys that are performing well, and shouldn't be afraid to sit out anyone who's playing far below their talent. No disrespect to the DeGuzmans intended.

Good point about the Jono situation, but I still don't think he should get called. It would be nice to see Jono play for Canada but if he doesn't want to show because his brother's not performing up to the standard he's capable of, then do we really want that situation in the locker room? These guys are professionals and we should treat them really well; but we shouldn't walk on eggshells around them.

The point of the matter is that for TFC deGuzman has been awful. For Canada he has been very sub par. He hasn't looked great since the Brazil game in Seattle. We all know he's extremely talented but no one should get a free ride on this team. Going back to the Brazil game some of our best play has been without JDG. The Venezuela game, and the Mexico game in Edmonton to name a couple.

Hart should continue to reward the guys that are performing well, and shouldn't be afraid to sit out anyone who's playing far below their talent. No disrespect to the DeGuzmans intended.

Idk if he hasn't looked great since the Brazil game in Seattle that might be a stretch... he was easily our best player vs. Jamaica in Toronto and he had a good Gold Cup in 2009

I don't think we have te luxury of leaving out top players. Hart just needs to deploy him better. Dunfield looked a lot better sitting in front of the back 4. I'd give him another look and push Julian farther up the pitch. He's one of our few players who can beat a man 1v1 on a consistent basis. I don't care how bad his form is, we need that element.

I don't think we have te luxury of leaving out top players. Hart just needs to deploy him better. Dunfield looked a lot better sitting in front of the back 4. I'd give him another look and push Julian farther up the pitch. He's one of our few players who can beat a man 1v1 on a consistent basis. I don't care how bad his form is, we need that element.

Isn't that half the problem with Julian? we are pushing him up the field in a more offensive role but he doesn't really have the skills? In that situation (Dunnfield starting) I would rather Hutchinson play over Julian

Archived