Who to call in for January camp/friendly

dr. killinger

Now that the Nov. games are behind us, who should Hart call in for the Jan. camp? He said that the camp would be for domestic/nordic league players. So whom to call in?

Locks:

Julian De Guzman

Dwayne de Rosario

Adrian Serioux

Nana Attakora

Will Johnson

Andre Hainault

Dejan Jakovic

Kenny Stamatopoulos (Not much of a choice)

Maybe:

Pat Onstad

Marcus Haber

Randy Edwini-Bonsu

Luca Bellisomo

David Monsalve

Olivier Occean

Chris Pozniak

Mason Trafford

Gordon Chin

Pierre-Rudolph Mayard

Srdjan Djekanovic

Tyler Hemming

Chris Williams

Tosaint Ricketts

Long Shots:

Teal Bunbury

Alex Surprenant

Alex Semenets

That's all I can think of.

So that's 8 locks, 14 maybes, and 3 long shots (I'm sure there are more here)

You would think Hart would make this camp more youth laden but you can't be sure.

In January are we going to play full A friendlies? if so how about Hart just call our best players with a few younger players for experience?

Strikers </u>

Gerba

Friend

Jackson

Haber

Midfield</u>

De Guzman

De Rosario

Simpson

De Jong

Hutchinson

Johnson

Peters

Radzinski

Defenders</u>

Attakora

Jakovic

Hainault

Serioux

Surprenant/Gage

Klukowski

Stalteri

Edgar (we need him for the future)

Goalkeepers</u>

Hirschfeld

Stamatopoulos

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

White

I don't think White is a citizen, plus he'd have to ask FIFA to change his football nationality as he has played for Jamaica's youth teams.

He is still eligible for Canada, but he'd have to get a lot of paper work done in a very short time.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I don't think White is a citizen, plus he'd have to ask FIFA to change his football nationality as he has played for Jamaica's youth teams.

He is still eligible for Canada, but he'd have to get a lot of paper work done in a very short time.

Does it matter if we play some non-FIFA island & the champions of the Icelandic third divsion? [:P]

I actually wanted to put Ibrahim on the list too, but his ties are more tenuous and he didn't show much last year. I thought White was promising enough to go through the hoops if he's interested.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Does it matter if we play some non-FIFA island & the champions of the Icelandic third divsion? [:P]

I actually wanted to put Ibrahim on the list too, but his ties are more tenuous and he didn't show much last year. I thought White was promising enough to go through the hoops if he's interested.

I suppose you're right. If he's interested, bring him up. The paperwork could be sorted before any official games are played.

Ibbe was still playing for the US junior national teams this year, so I think his intentions are set. As you said, he hasn't shown much, but I think that has much more to do with his contract status (he's GA and doesn't count against the cap unless he plays a certain amount of games) as well as being buried behind a ton of similar, older players.

If only there was a way to convince Frei to become Canadian. As we've seen today, goalkeeper is our worst position right now. Who here has a hot sister/daughter/niece they'd be willing to give up to the cause? :D

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I suppose you're right. If he's interested, bring him up. The paperwork could be sorted before any official games are played.

Ibbe was still playing for the US junior national teams this year, so I think his intentions are set. As you said, he hasn't shown much, but I think that has much more to do with his contract status (he's GA and doesn't count against the cap unless he plays a certain amount of games) as well as being buried behind a ton of similar, older players.

If only there was a way to convince Frei to become Canadian. As we've seen today, goalkeeper is our worst position right now. Who here has a hot sister/daughter/niece they'd be willing to give up to the cause? :D

I was willing to let my gf go but she doesn't want to leave me....[:P]

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

Monsalve definitely deserves a look.

I FULLY expect him to be at that camp

I'd like to see Ornoch there too.

I assume Issey could be brought to this camp as he will be on winter break.

I'd like to see the 2-3 kids from the Francophone Games team who impressed most to be invited as well (especially Jarek Whiteman, Agustin DeMedina and Alex Semenets).

Rather than bring a guy like Stama who should never be in Canada's plans, why not bring the kids who are slated to be the keepers of the future (Street, Stillo, etc...) to see how they match up vs. Monsalve. Or, what about the guy playing France.

It is time to expose the youngsters and really see what we've got.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

I FULLY expect him to be at that camp

I'd like to see Ornoch there too.

I assume Issey could be brought to this camp as he will be on winter break.

I'd like to see the 2-3 kids from the Francophone Games team who impressed most to be invited as well (especially Jarek Whiteman, Agustin DeMedina and Alex Semenets).

Rather than bring a guy like Stama who should never be in Canada's plans, why not bring the kids who are slated to be the keepers of the future (Street, Stillo, etc...) to see how they match up vs. Monsalve. Or, what about the guy playing France.

It is time to expose the youngsters and really see what we've got.

Al-Shaibani might deserve a call-up, and it appears Ligue 2 takes a small winter break. Might not be a bad idea considering Algeria just qualified for the WC. (He is of Algerian descent, right?)

F

Dwayne De Rosario

Ali Gerba

Charles Gbeke

Olivier Occean

Marcus Haber

M

Atiba Hutchinson

Will Johnson

Patrice Bernier

Julian de Guzman

Issey Nakajima

Martin Nash

Rocco Placentino

D

Andrew Hainault

Jim Brennan

Adrian Serioux

Nana Attakora

Dejan Jakovic

Adrian Cann

Ante Jazic

G

Pat Onstad

Greg Sutton

Srdjan Djekanovic

I didn't get to see the game today, but from the comments I read, Hirschfeld did not play well. People over rate him probably more than any other player on the CMNT.

Al-Shaibani? What is with all this hype? He's a backup keeper in Ligue 2. That can't be a whole lot better than Srdjan who is a backup keeper in USL.

Our goalie depth is brutal right now. Everyone is always up in arms against Onstad, but he is the best we have right now (though everyone seems to believe its Hirschfeld who hasn't played consistently in like 3 years).

If we're going to send backup keepers, why not just send Street, Misiewicz or Stillo? I'd rather send a teenaged backup goalie than a 30 year old backup goalie.

Why no Ribiero?

Everyone is over looking him it seems. I'd say he deserves a call.

Don't forget a lot of USL guys not just on Canadian clubs!

Andres Arango

Jack Stewart

Alen Marcina

Paul Ballard 15 appearances for Cleveland apparently played pro in South Africa?

Marco Terminiesi (How is this guy being overlooked? 6 goals in 15 appearances for the Minnesota Thunder)

Nigel Marples

Lets capitalize on some players we can steal too!!

With new rules these are two eligible guys who pop out

Joe Cannon and Ugo Ihemelu

Both play positions we need help in, keeper and right back. Ihemelu is probably not in a Canada A 22 man team but Cannon would be.

Also call O'brien White! Lots of names people have overlooked, we should be looking to capitalize

I hope many guys who have never gotten a look get called up. Does this sound like a realistic plan:

Call up many if not all players who are sub-24 to form the squad, and choose a weak nation (sub-100) for the first game, then perhaps a stronger nation for the second game. Give them something where it won't be a juggernaut so they can get used to playing an international.

First off - 33 y/o Jazic? Surely not. I do think, however, that we should start inviting anyone with a heartbeat and even the longest shot at ever suiting up at RB for Canada.

At this point, I fully agree with VPjr. We need to try out some new guys. Let's have a repeat of the Vancouver B Camp which helped identify so many rising talents like Peters, Simpson, and Occean.

An established player in his late 20's is almost always going to be better at a given moment's time, tactically and physically, than the young up and comers, but this short term, try not to get blown out in friendlies attitude isn't working anywmore, if it ever did. IMHO, we have fallen into the trap of relying so much on the Hastings' and the Jazics and the Berniers of the program at the direct of expense of development, experimentation, and the odd discovery of some real untapped talent. Who/where, for instance, is the next Menezes? (Rivas, perhaps?) Who's the next Peters? Who is the next Bircham? (White?) Who is the next Simpson? (Bunbury?) When in god's name does David Edgar get at least a proper sniff? We need to start overturning stones again, but also turning over the stones that we already have in our program, and at much younger ages.

quote:Originally posted by deschamp86

I didn't get to see the game today, but from the comments I read, Hirschfeld did not play well. People over rate him probably more than any other player on the CMNT.

Al-Shaibani? What is with all this hype? He's a backup keeper in Ligue 2. That can't be a whole lot better than Srdjan who is a backup keeper in USL.

Our goalie depth is brutal right now. Everyone is always up in arms against Onstad, but he is the best we have right now (though everyone seems to believe its Hirschfeld who hasn't played consistently in like 3 years).

If we're going to send backup keepers, why not just send Street, Misiewicz or Stillo? I'd rather send a teenaged backup goalie than a 30 year old backup goalie.

He's 500 years old and retired from international play. That's why we're up in arms. We should be sending youth, backup or not.

My understanding is that Onstad hasn't so much retired from the national team as saying that he's willing to answer the call but really doubts he'll ever get it.

Now, the 500 years old I won't argue. Anybody who got their first cap playing for British North America against the Transvaal has clearly been around a bit.

quote:Originally posted by deschamp86

Well, Canada's current keeper is a backup for a 2nd division German side. And in the few glimpses that I saw, he seemed to have some potential. I doubt he would be much worse that Hirch, so why not call him up?

I have come to the conclusion that for us to qualify for 2014 a significant group of our players will need to be North American based and they'll need lots of matches to build the teamwork and continuity to "overachieve" as Paul James implied in his blog. That's why I'm really pleased to see the likes of Jakovic, Johnson, and Hainault figuring prominently in MLS this past season and I'm hoping to see more of these younger players emerge in the immediate future.

That said, I would like to see more of the younger guys get a look in this camp, regardless of where they play their soccer. And though more than few people were wondering why he chose Hastings, I'll still trust Hart to make the important evaluations needed to determine who's got the international pedigree and who don't in terms of the North American based players we have available.

Archived