FULL TIME Vancouver Soccer Show - Question Begovic

Full-Time

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent interview. Seems Canada is his first choice, but might go to Bosnia if he finds himself not in the plans of a new Canadian coach. If Hart stays, he's in.

Begovic Quotes (iirc):

- there hasn't been a decision, don't want to switch

- only issue is state of uncertainty in csa, what's going to happen with coach for new cycle, if we can get things in place i'm happy to stay

- yes i've been approached by bosnia, but i don't have intention of playing for bosnia

- uncertainty with coach concerns everybody, hart is likable, great respect, hopefully there can be arrangement to continue, he told me i'm in his plans for the future, id be happy with that

- i'd make firm commitment when things are firmed up at csa, not a threat or ultimatum, i'd just be a lot more comfortable to know whats going on

- csa have been good, nobody pressured, i would never make a decision w/o speaking to csa

- heat from bosnia, big deal for them

- decision can't be made that quick, right now i don't want to change, irregradless of what's in the paper, a few things were taken out of context, i don't speak bosnian that well anymore

- niko krancjar has been talking about me to bosnian coach, which is fine, but settled i'm here, i'd show loyalty to csa, never had a problem, don't see a change

- spoke to hart a while ago, i wanted to come for gold cup, but had personal matters, another time if possible

I don’t mean to question the word of Asmir Begovic, but I have to admit to being pretty jaded about all of this. Surely we remember another young player of promise who pledged his future to Canada instead of Wales in a feature interview to the Canadian media.

I like Asmir a lot and hope he stays the course with us.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I don’t mean to question the word of Asmir Begovic, but I have to admit to being pretty jaded about all of this. Surely we remember another young player of promise who pledged his future to Canada instead of Wales in a feature interview to the Canadian media.

I like Asmir a lot and hope he stays the course with us.

cheers,

matthew

My feelings as well. So far so good, fingers crossed. Stick with us Asmir.

Hey guys...I was listening to the show and although its nice to have been given great hope by Asmir - he still wasn't fully committed. The door has been left open and it seems as though the Hart situation, as well as "who" plays for Canada has a lot to do with his decision process. We'll see how this eventually plays out.

Kudos to Tyler and Mike for getting the interview we all wanted to hear and asking the questions that needed to be asked. Credit, as well, to VPjr who has been steadfast in his position that Asmir was sticking with us. It's a good day for Canadian football.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

If anyone can read this:

http://sport.becka-raja.at/diskusije/index.php?showtopic=2508&st=4880&start=4880

We might get the Bosnian perspective.

the poster are saying on one hand that they dont really care if he plays for bosnia or not

on the other hand they are saying that blazevic sat down with asmir and his father and that he put in writing his intention of playing for bosnia.

more confusion

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

If anyone can read this:

http://sport.becka-raja.at/diskusije/index.php?showtopic=2508&st=4880&start=4880

We might get the Bosnian perspective.

I think you'd rather not know what the some of those posters are saying a few pages back about Canada. Saying stuff like "I wanna throw up when I hear interviews like this" and **** him and Canada, Canada has no chance to make WC for a long time, and calling Asmir a "****ing traitor" and calling him shameful. Some of these morons actually thought the interview was faked by Croatian people or Canadians because the voice doesn't sound like Asmir's.

A few others are saying who cares about him and one guy says "I guess he owes Canada something".

As someone born in Sarajevo, I am so embarassed for this mentality.

Also, someone posted an article (no link) in a comment - made at 23:15 - that translated says this:

quote:

While he is deciding between Canada and B&H, Begovic's declaration has gone to FIFA Writes: Predator (??)

Monday, 13.07.09. 23:27.

Asmir Begovic, goaltender for Portsmouth has again arrived at the center of attention for sports journalism in our country. This Trebinje-born player has recently promised Miroslav Blazevic that he will play for the national team of Bosnia & Hertzegovina, but he has clouded things with his announcement for one Canadian radio station stating how he still is thinking about Canada's national team!

As it is common knowledge, Begovic wore the jersey of the youth Canadian team, but according to the new rules of FIFA he has gained the right to change his sports citizenship.

We discovered that [he has] already "started" the procedure where he will change his sports citizenship and his declaration about how he wishes to play for Bosnia has already gone to FIFA. This has been confirmed to us by Munib Usanovic, general secretary of the National Bosnian Football team.

"Ten days ago, we talked with his father and with Asmir and he signed a declaration about the change of his sports citizenship, that is, he confirmed that he wishes to play for Bosnia. The completed documentation was sent by us to Zurich, and in the procedure is also the taking out of Begovic's passport" said Usanovic, who was surprised by Asmir's announcement on Canadian radio:

"I don't know what he means, but something is suspicious, considering that in recent days Begovic has not been answering the calls from our Federation."

Sorry for any errors, I'm no longer completely fluent with the language and its translations anymore but I understand all of it.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

canucker... thanks very much for the translation. Wonderful to hear your opinion too. Much appreciated!

No problem at all. Unfortunately, I have no insight or inside information on the situation though. I am proud to be from Bosnia (well I am mixed ethnically from all the former Yugoslav countries) and I'm guessing Begovic is too, but Canada has given me everything and is my home. I don't think people over there quite understand that.

Anyway a few of the posts after that article say it would be quite funny if he wants to now play for Canada but his papers for changing nationality to Bosnia with FIFA go through.

"Changing his sports citizenship"? My understanding of the new rule is that there's nothing to change: Begovic doesn't need to change from Canada to Bosnia because he's in no way tied to Canada. What paperwork is the manager talking about? Is he just blowing smoke?

Frankly, I find it hard to believe Begovic would be that duplicitious - it doesn't seem to fit his history.

Archived