Sportsnet to broadcast upcoming Nutrilite Canadian

From CSA: http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3571

Here is the broadcast sked. All games will be live.

2009 Broadcast Schedule / Programme des Matchs - Sportsnet

06.5.2009 - 20:00ET - BMO Field - Toronto FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC

27.5.2009 - 19:30PT - Swangard Stadium - Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Impact de Montréal

02.6.2009 - 19:30PT - Swangard Stadium - Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Toronto FC

18.6.2009 - 20:00ET - Stade Saputo - Impact de Montréal - Toronto FC

quote:Originally posted by masster

Not all games are broadcast. Only 4 of the 6 are broadcast.

They likely have Blue Jays commitments on those nights.

It wouldn't shock me to see those games end up on GolTV.

Oi.

Good in that it must be The Dobson and Forrest doing the V's Cup. Bad that it's on SportsNet. I have little or no faith in that network's commitment to Canadian footie.

Worse, this is grim news from the CBC. A network which looked for a time like they were going to give footie in this country a serious opportunity.

Stupid economy.

Well, I certainly hope SOMEONE picks up the Impact - TFC @ BMO match. Seeing as how it was at BMO where the Impact won the Vs Cup last year, I'd expect this game to be particularly intense, both on the field and in the stands. I'd hate to have to settle for a tape delay or midnight replay...

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

It's too bad that it's Sportsnet, but it surely is better than nothing. I may have to pick up the channel then.

Who doesn't have Sportsnet? Surely as a member of this board you feel the need to watch CDN MNT games no?

I actually see this as a very positive deal. The Sportsnet network is coast-to-coast and has committed to showing four of six matches live. This is a HUGE improvement over Bold or cbc online streams. Sportsnet's reach (I think I remember reading somewhere that Sportsnet is in 10,000,000 households - thats a lot) means that way more "non-traditional" soccer fans in Canada will be exposed to the Voyageurs Cup.

I will be very, very surprised if the other two matches are not picked up. Think Gol TV.

This is good. Glad that SportNet is stepping in. The whole tournament format could have been under threat if there was no TV coverage. Nutrilite, for one, would not have been too pleased if their sponsorship was not reaching the intended audience.

Anyway, problem (more or less) averted.

quote:Who doesn't have Sportsnet? Surely as a member of this board you feel the need to watch CDN MNT games no?

I actually see this as a very positive deal. The Sportsnet network is coast-to-coast and has committed to showing four of six matches live. This is a HUGE improvement over Bold or cbc online streams. Sportsnet's reach (I think I remember reading somewhere that Sportsnet is in 10,000,000 households - thats a lot) means that way more "non-traditional" soccer fans in Canada will be exposed to the Voyageurs Cup.

I will be very, very surprised if the other two matches are not picked up. Think Gol TV.

Sportsnet typically puts the games live on two of four channels and only on digital cable, all of which is extremely frutsrating for the fan.

Like I said, if we can get those other two games live (online or on GolTV), I'll be happy.

quote:Originally posted by Portuguese Sensation

Well I guess that answers the question - CBC completely cut the CONCACAF Champions League from its schedule.

Good on Sportsnet for picking it up :)

No. It only means CBC is not showing the Canadian championship. Even though the winner gains access to the Champions League, the championship in itself has nothing to do with the champions league... and of course, the broadcasting rights are not the same. So Sportsnet only picked up the Canadian championship, there is no word on the champions league so far.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Sportsnet typically puts the games live on two of four channels and only on digital cable, all of which is extremely frutsrating for the fan.

Like I said, if we can get those other two games live (online or on GolTV), I'll be happy.

I agree that this two of four channels crap is very frusterating. However you will notice that there are no Blue Jay conflicts on the dates of the Voyageurs Cup broadcasts leading me to believe, perhaps naively, that this will be a true coast-to-coast deal.

Where is this sports channel CBC is launching? If it isn't up and running by the world cup, Bold will be needed for at least the 3rd Group stage games. Hopefully ABC will fill in some of these gaps.

I have three main problems with Bold. 1) How come the CBC can get $800m in tax dollars, but Bold needs to have a premium channel, that for the most part is 90% reruns? 2) Its not even in any cable/sat packages, so you have to get it as a single channel. 3) because no one gets it, its so heavily compressed by my cable provider that looks like a 160x120 webstream from 1997 blown up to fullscreen

quote:Originally posted by Tonka

Who doesn't have Sportsnet? Surely as a member of this board you feel the need to watch CDN MNT games no?

I liked the work that the CBC did with soccer so I am disappointed to hear of this news. The CBC's pregame, post game, and lead up production was better than sportsnet. I also preferred JDV to Forrest as far as game analysis because JDV is more forthright and sees the game much more from the broader picture. But the biggest problem I have with Sportsnet is that Baseball gets first billing and in the summer months there is baseball on TV practically every day.

I was surprised by this news since I thought that when the CBC cuts were announced, that they were alluding to the CONCACAF Champions league. Meaning, the portion of the competition involving the Cnd champ and the clubs from the region. I didn't know that the cuts would included V-Cup matches as well.

quote:Originally posted by Portuguese Sensation

Don't get rid of Bold just yet... maybe CBC will broadcast the other two games? Or my biggest fear... they'll play some of the World Cup games on Bold *dies*. I was so disappointed when TSN lost the rights to the World Cup...

I wasn't aware that they did. And if that were true, it would me very welcomed IMO. TSN has done more to stiffle the growth of the game in canada than any other media. You will not hear a peep of mention from TSN about the domestic game (MLS or USL) or soccer in this region( CONCACAF WCQ). All they do is milk massive ratings generated big events like UEFA Champions league and World cup all the while ignoring ( if not denigrating ) the domestic game. In otherwords they cultivate the mind sett that soccer from far away is worth suppporting but not the soccer on our side of the pond because, of course, we wouldn't want audiences to be drawn away from watch the CFL, a product that they have invested heavily in.

I have heard far more negative things said on TSN about MLS. You just need to look at their website, Soccer coverage of concacaf and MLS on their TSN website is non existent

In an ideal world, lucrative soccer rights should be awarded

• 3 weeks later...

Archived