LIVE BLOG EVENT: Impact vs. Santos

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/03/03/live-blog-impact-santos.html

Follow all the action of Thursday's CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final match-up between the Montreal Impact and Mexico's Santos Laguna on CBCSports.ca's live game blog.

Starting at 9 p.m. ET, join the live discussion below and submit your comments. CBC Sports soccer commentator Nigel Reed will stop by to chat before kickoff, and Jason de Vos will be online after the game, so be sure to submit your questions once the chat starts.

You can watch the game live on Bold (CBC's digital channel) and CBCSports.ca at 10 p.m. ET. The game will also be replayed on the main CBC network at midnight local time.

quote:Originally posted by johnmolinaro

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/03/03/live-blog-impact-santos.html

Follow all the action of Thursday's CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final match-up between the Montreal Impact and Mexico's Santos Laguna on CBCSports.ca's live game blog.

Starting at 9 p.m. ET, join the live discussion below and submit your comments. CBC Sports soccer commentator Nigel Reed will stop by to chat before kickoff, and Jason de Vos will be online after the game, so be sure to submit your questions once the chat starts.

You can watch the game live on Bold (CBC's digital channel) and CBCSports.ca at 10 p.m. ET. The game will also be replayed on the main CBC network at midnight local time.

Question.. why is Nigel not down here ? or another why is the CBC latin american correspondent from Mexico City not in town .... cant she cover Mexican - Canadian stories ?

Seriously John.. the CBC has been slow to get this story its an embarassment to the news and sports department of the CBC.

Hell a few less lunches at Radio-Canada and you could have hired a local video crew to do game day shots etc.

Very un-professional, 55 thousand fans and you dont send your imported Brit accent to follow the USL team ?

Sad

^ Here are some better questions: why didn't one of the country's three all-sports networks buy the rights to this tournament? Are any of them providing live blogs? Will any of them be showing a substantive highlights package tomorrow?

The CBC doesn't have unlimited money. In fact, these days it's very, very limited. And even though the current setup is not perfect, at least we get to follow the game live -- via a live blog or live streaming video -- thanks to the CBC deciding that it was worth covering. To call their coverage "an embarrassment" -- especially in light of the deafening silence everywhere else in the Canadian media -- seems kinda harsh.

quote:Originally posted by squizz

^ Here are some better questions: why didn't one of the country's three all-sports networks buy the rights to this tournament? Are any of them providing live blogs? Will any of them be showing a substantive highlights package tomorrow?

The CBC doesn't have unlimited money. In fact, these days it's very, very limited. And even though the current setup is not perfect, at least we get to follow the game live -- via a live blog or live streaming video -- thanks to the CBC deciding that it was worth covering. To call their coverage "an embarrassment" -- especially in light of the deafening silence everywhere else in the Canadian media -- seems kinda harsh.

I agree especially considering the number of times we've seen Sportsnet do exactly the same thing.

Holy. Tough crowd.

CBC Sports has been doing an awesome job of promoting the match on their website, and not just the soccer subsection. The sports home page as well. To be honest I'm impressed and think the CBC is doing an excellent job of grooming the soccer market for what is effect their property, the CONCACRAP Champions League.

I don't even have a problem with the match being on bold, which is in effect CBC Sports2. Soccer fans will (within reason) pay to watch their football. Not ideal, it does handicap the viewership numbers, but when the alternative is no live coverage, you work with what you've got.

If I'm around a computer I'll drop by before hand. After the match? Not likely. Probably too hammered to think anything reasonable much less type it.

One question though, just so I don't miss the chance to raise it later tonight. Two questions actually.

"Is Montreal winning the Vs Cup and then doing so well in CCL the best possible thing which could have happened for this young Canadian Championship Tournie? Would the three clubs have been as ramped up for the 2009 edition of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship if TFC had won it last year?

and...

"Do we know if the CSA derives any revenue from V Cup or CONCACRAP CL matches? Are they for example collecting a "head tax" from fixtures in Canada?

CBC Sports is doing a great job with its coverage, but it could try and use its main network a bit more. 99% of the coverage is either online or on Bold, which limits exposure.

I'd be curious to see what happens if the Impact make the semis. I can guarantee SRC will play the games live.

Agree. Uncalled for from Trillium.

CBC has been doing an excellent job. Soccer fans in this country have to understand that it takes time to change the media culture but CBC is not at fault here. They've offered us webcast of every games despite the short notice for the earlier CCL games.

I've seen a huge improvement in soccer coverage in the last 2-3 yrs and complaining to the CBC for the lack of TV presence in Mexico is idiotic at best.

A billion dollars in tax funding is almost unlimited. How much money are they pouring into 'Being Erica'? A show that is now resorting to topless lesbian scenes to try to get more than 200,000 viewers.

I think the problem is the game is on Bold. A network that is crap because no one watches it. No one watches it because its a specialty channel, that isn't in any attractive packages (On Bell its in “News & Learning 2 “, which includes Book TV, Biography, and bunch of channels that if you have HD you get anyways; Rogers and Shaw don't have it in any Packages). CBC really needs to decide what they want to do with Bold. Either they need to put money into the channel and make it something people actually want, or they need to give it away for free. I pay for Bold simply so I can watch their soccer coverage, so I think I have a right to call it out for what it is, complete rubbish.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

A billion dollars in tax funding is almost unlimited. How much money are they pouring into 'Being Erica'? A show that is now resorting to topless lesbian scenes to try to get more than 200,000 viewers.

Don't make me choose between the Impact and topless lesbians. Please.

Some Impact sofar.Our guys are playing an extremely intelligent game,amazing how smart these guys are,,,sofar.Grizz must be piss8in in his pants,a Corona relieve with Canadian passion.Hey Grizz I whish I was there,what a day sofar,oops night.

Archived