July 1, 2008: TFC vs. Whitecaps, Match Thread (R)

So pumped for this one, as I can't think of a better way to spend a sunny Canada Day than some Voyageurs Cup footy between two Canadian sides.

Game goes at 4pm Eastern/1pm Pacific and is being broadcast live on CBC (except Atlantic provinces) and cbcsports.ca.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't speak for all of them, but I think most supporters, at least, are treating it equally important as the league, if not more. Champions League play is crucial. Naturally, like Montreal and Vancouver, we want a chance to play the best from CONCACAF, and possibly the World in the Club Championships.

When you think about it, TFC could miss the playoffs, but still be in the CL - which would make missing the playoffs easier to swallow.

No live coverage in Atlantic Canada? Is this confirmed? What time is the game being shown? Is it being shown?

I checked the CBC website and it offers conflicting info. I'll check my cable box when I get home. If it's not on at all, then I'm pissed. Just hearing about the 'Caps beating TFC is not nearly as fun as watching it ;)

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

How's the mood with TFC and its supporters?

Are they treating this less/as/more importantantly than the league?

Speaking for myself, I want TFC to smack Vancouver down by a lopsided score so we can rest players in Vancouver (that game will be more or less meaningless if TFC wins big tomorrow (and pumps up its GD--the tournament will be decided in the final game between TFC and Montreal). Plus I'm on record predicting that Toronto would take 10 points at minimum, so I don't want egg on my face (not that I'm worried).

The prospect of playing in the CCL is exciting to us. I think most of us view it as a more realistic goal than a MLS playoff run at this stage of the team's development.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Speaking for myself, I want TFC to smack Vancouver down by a lopsided score so we can rest players in Vancouver (that game will be more or less meaningless if TFC wins big tomorrow (and pumps up its GD--the tournament will be decided in the final game between TFC and Montreal). Plus I'm on record predicting that Toronto would take 10 points at minimum, so I don't want egg on my face (not that I'm worried).

The prospect of playing in the CCL is exciting to us. I think most of us view it as a more realistic goal than a MLS playoff run at this stage of the team's development.

agreed wholeheartedly.

I'm much more pumped for this months Canada Cup fixtures than the upcoming match against San Jose or Salt Lake, for instance. I can't wait for tomorrow afternoon and I'm especially pumped for the match against the Impact on the 22nd.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Can't speak for all of them, but I think most supporters, at least, are treating it equally important as the league, if not more.

That's pretty much how I feel. For me it's about winning a trophy and being the best in Canada. The Champions League is a bonus but since I don't think we'll really be that competative yet I'm not sure that I'll care about it as much. I guess it would depend on who we (hopefully) got drawn with.

Outside of the really tuned in internet-type supporters I'm not sure they know or care very much about any of TFC's opponents. Thus, to them, this game would be seemingly of no more or less significance. I often get the impression that the great bulk of TFC fans are really TFC fans only when it comes to North American soccer or even soccer generally.

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Plus I'm on record predicting that Toronto would take 10 points at minimum, so I don't want egg on my face (not that I'm worried).

I think your prediction is going to turn out much better than mine :(

I've already tried scrambled, raw, and poached so after 3 games I am getting used to egg ;)

Since the arrival of AG TFC have really turned it around and I think they might make the playoffs this year. I had thought 3 years would be the mark (first is a throw away, second you improve and third you make the playoffs or come damn close!) but I honestly think they can do it this year.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Very much looking forward to this.

Hopefully the Whitecaps will show the form they did against LA.

I'm hoping for the same. Any idea if they will use Gbeke today? I know he may not even have his Whitecaps uniform yet but they do need another striker up front to help out Sebrango. 4-4-2 could be nice and stable.

Well it's halftime, and the Whitecaps are certainly showing their Galaxy match form. TFC is being outplayed, plain and simple. If it weren't for Wynn on the right side, Valente would be eating up the TFC defence. Sebrango just about ended TFC's day, a pity he didn't convert. The second half is certainly going to be interesting. Unless TFC wake up and realize that it isn't going to be a cake-walk, there's 3 points for the Caps.

Archived