July 1, 2008: TFC vs. Whitecaps, Match Thread (R)

quote:Originally posted by brandon

I'm pretty sure he played with the Lynx. It seemed to me there were more than enough Brian Ashton's from BOTH teams out there tonight..although, i'm sure Free Kick may not have noticed that looking through his TFC tinted glasses.

He was known for his rough play. A fan favourite who always gave it his all but at the same time a poorly skilled soccer player.

I am exaggerating bit of course when I am comparing the entire Whitecaps team to a bunch of Brian Ashton.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing that I don't get is why Cunningham was celebrating a TIEING goal against a team they should be BEATING. If that's me, I'm grabbing the ball out of the goal and heading back up to midfield.

If anyone should have been celebrating like that, it should have been Nash after putting in the PK. They are in the "weaker" league, after all.

Wow. I hate to be greedy, but the Whitecaps really should have come out more than +1 in that game. The Sebrango chance just before half-time was a sitter...so was Martin Nash's later, and then the Gbeke post.

Yes Toronto had some good flurries and long range shots, but I don't think Nolly was as spectacular as Nigel Reed made him out to be. Most of those shots were at good heights.

JB's comments on the dive... i mean the penalty call:

"He went down awfully easy," Brennan said. "I was marking him, he was grabbing my arm and he's falling down and that's why I was frustrated because the way he went down. I don't think it was a penalty at all, I don't think anybody thought it was a penalty. We end up losing 1-0 because of a bad goal."

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Ali had 5 goals and 2 assists in 8 games during his final stint in Montreal in 2005 before transfering to Europe.

Interesting, I was just flipping through the May 2005 game stats for the Impact game and I saw his name under the subs column most of the time, . I just found a goal he scored in June of that year.

Just watched the game now since I was stuck in North Van thanks to the bridge closure.

I have to say that there was plenty of spirit out there. Even though people like Rudi are blasting the TFC because of lack of effort I think it came down to lack of finishing on both sides really. I liked the intensity. Bodes well for the future of the competition. So glad that July 9th means something.

Did Nigel Reed really say that it was the most exciting game his ever seen? Or something like that?

Anyway, love the Caps for going toe to toe in Hogtown. Here's a call to arms to all those who want to be in the Southside on July 9th to give the Caps a much needed boost as they fight off elimination.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Interesting, I was just flipping through the May 2005 game stats for the Impact game and I saw his name under the subs column most of the time, . I just found a goal he scored in June of that year.

From the stats archive (2005 Impact stats only):

8 games played

including 7 games started

652 minutes

5 goals

2 assists

12 points

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I have to say that there was plenty of spirit out there. Even though people like Rudi are blasting the TFC because of lack of effort I think it came down to lack of finishing on both sides really. I liked the intensity. Bodes well for the future of the competition. So glad that July 9th means something.

Most of my frustration comes from the so-called big names who showed no interest in the first half (outside of a few).

The second half was indeed exciting, even though it didn't go well for TFC. If Toronto had the intensity in the first half that they had in the second, I think the game would have been much different.

But credit to Vancouver, though. They did what they had to steal the points in Toronto.

Honestly, I just need to cool off before I post on this again.

Curse the CBC for showing us rubes in Saskatchewan a completely different game than the one apparently played.

The Whitecaps could easily have had 5 goals yesterday. They showed every bit as much attacking initiative as Toronto, moreso in fact, and only in the last 25 minutes or did they drop into a more defensive posture. Its called winning on the road and TFC might learn a thing or two from the performance the 'caps put in against them.

The Whitecaps should have put in 5...in "the fortress"...and the score flattered TFC.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Devos said it was a good call and the PK was deserved.

It took DeVos a few replays to come to that conclusion though, and his intial words were to the effect that it was almost never called. I think it was only the angle from behind the goal, which showed Brennan with his arms around the chest of Clarke and pulling him down as the ball came in that JdV started to agree that it was a good penalty and gave credit to the official for calling it.

On a positive note, this all makes for one brilliant Voyageurs Cup. The passion displayed by all Canadians on the field yesterday was fantastic.

Some of the big names appear to be treating this like a reserve match, but there's no mistaking how much the Voyageurs Cup means to the Canadian players or the fans.

quote:Originally posted by AvroArrow

The thing that I don't get is why Cunningham was celebrating a TIEING goal against a team they should be BEATING. If that's me, I'm grabbing the ball out of the goal and heading back up to midfield.

If anyone should have been celebrating like that, it should have been Nash after putting in the PK. They are in the "weaker" league, after all.

I think it's because he hasn't scored in four years. It's been that long hasn't it?

I think they're getting better (I only watched it online as it wasn't on TV in Nova Scotia) but does anyone else notice CBC does terrible camera and switching work? Almost no replays on offside calls, sometimes poor angles. Somebody over there should get a cable package and watch some games from England to see how it's done.

I'm still trying to figure out who gave up a major goal scoring opportunity about 35 yards out at the hour mark. I'll just assume it was Marshall.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

What's going on with Srdjan? Is he injured or he lost his starting spot to Nolly?

Ok, I found an answer to my question in this article:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=47c8a0b0-1419-4b08-8afd-0449ff277d88

Goalie in a huff

Goalie Srdjan Djekanovic didn't dress for the Whitecaps' Sunday draw with Miami because he left training in a huff when not selected as the starting keeper, head coach Teitur Thordarson revealed Tuesday.

"The reaction is not accepted, it's as easy as that," said Thordarson. "This is a team and everyone in this group has to accept the decisions we make.

"He has apologized for what he did and we have put this behind us."

Djekanovic started the first six games of the season and was supplanted by Jay Nolly after a 2-0 home loss to Seattle. Nolly has since played six in a row.

Nigel did make the statement of "...most exciting..." but give him a break, he's just doing his job of trying to sell the sport.......really wish I had not missed this game! good highlight package on cbc.ca though! (and no, I don't work for the CBC!!!!)

Did anyone catch the Charleston/Houston game on USLLive.com??? Did DeRo play?

Archived