July 1, 2008: TFC vs. Whitecaps, Match Thread (R)

quote:Originally posted by Mpenza

Brennan making a fool of himself all game long and getting caught with his pants down on the penalty. Cunningham taking his shirt off and jumping in the crowd to celebrate a goal he did not score. TFC as vigorous as a limp dick. Vancouver winning in Toronto...

It must be the best Canada Day ever.

Thanks to the Whitecaps for a job well done. :)

This is kind of weird but those were all the points I were going to make...great minds think alike.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Regardless of how bad the calls may have been (I haven't seen a replay of any of them as yet) the fact is Toronto didn't deserve to win this game, they came out flat, un-motivated & IMO overconfident, under-estimating the talent in the USL 1. I think this is especially the case of the foreign players on TFC today, the ones who have never played in the USL & who played today like they don't care much about being the Canadian champion. John Carver had mentioned a number of times how much these games mean to the Canadian players on TFC, well maybe he could learn from his mistake this game and play a few more of them. The lack of effort from certain players was pitiful, and I'm not just talking about the first half.

Perhaps it is fitting that on Canada Day the team that fielded the most Canadians won.

Funny how things looke different on TV, I saw effort and TFC was the better team, they just couldn't finish. The Whitecaps were crap, they got a PK on phantom call and the rest of the game, the played like Korea did against Belgium at the 1998 WC, they just sat back with every many behind the ball holding on.

some interesting quotes from the game:

"It was a high-fantastic, high-energy win for us — to come here and get a result after a hard-fought battle for 90 minutes was just incredible," Whitecaps coach Teitur Thordarson said.

"The team I sent out in the first half didn't seem to have any energy and appeared lifeless — our fans deserved better than that," Toronto head coach John Carver said. "Vancouver was attacking us and closing players down, but for us, it looked like we thought we could just go out there and go through the motions.

"Nobody on the team is going to get away with an attitude like that. I'll cancel their contracts if necessary."

Carver said one fan was ejected by security for "having a go" at him after the final whistle and voicing his disapproval. Carver said the team deserved the abuse, and he will do anything in his power to make sure the fan isn't punished.

"Some of the fans ripped the shirt off my back; I was practising that celebration for a few weeks now," Cunningham said. "It was slightly embarrassing: I couldn't hear the whistle, didn't think I was offside and really thought we had scored the goal."

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080701.wspt-torontofc01/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Funny how things looke different on TV, I saw effort and TFC was the better team, they just couldn't finish. The Whitecaps were crap, they got a PK on phantom call and the rest of the game, the played like Korea did against Belgium at the 1998 WC, they just sat back with every many behind the ball holding on.

Vancouver dominated the first half. They were very unlucky not to be up 2-0.

Hirano was the player of the game. He destroyed TFC.

TFC dominated the last 25 minutes. But with Vancouver losing their best player, and leading the match, it only made sense they were going to start playing more defensive. That said, they hit the post with minutes remaining, and Sutton robbed a sure goal from Nash in the dying minutes.

NO. definitely not. Devos called it the the strangest call he ever saw. In fact, I dont think anyones knows why it was awarded.

I believe Devos' words were something like "I'm glad the referee called it, this type of foul should be called more often".

Couldn't disagree more FK. After the Caps scored Sebrango almost put one in, Gbeke hit the post and they had a few other chances.

I hope someone posts a video of the following because the replay on CBC only showed the best angle once:

1) The penalty.

2) Cunningham's goal/offside.

Nolly, Sebrango and especially Hirano for the Caps were great.

Wynne, AM for TFC were good.

One thing I noticed is that TFC have a lot more long range firepower than the Caps. Robert, AM and Edu (his only good play that I saw) all caused problems with some long range shots.

Officiating? I want to see the above 2 again. I don't think the officials were expecting a hockey game to break out (shades of the old Caps vs Cosmos fights!). No call on the interference with the goalie (fortunately it was Edu who was shooting and gave Nolly time to get back and save it). Didn't really control the game just let them go. Bad idea. AM was right about the non-calls but deserved the card for mouthing off so much. There's making your point to the ref and then there is going over the line or maybe the ref speaks Spanish?

Great game. Posts, crossbar, managers facing off. Damn I can't wait for these 3 to be in the MLS! Hopefully the CBC will show more of these.

quote:Originally posted by red card

some interesting quotes from the game:

Carver said one fan was ejected by security for "having a go" at him after the final whistle and voicing his disapproval. Carver said the team deserved the abuse, and he will do anything in his power to make sure the fan isn't punished.

Okay I now like and respect Carver a whole lot more than I did a minute ago!

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Devos said it was a good call and the PK was deserved.

Based on what I saw on TV, the penalty was technically warranted. If Brennan was guilty of holding in the area, then the referee had the right to make his call.

I will say this about the incident, however: if the ref is going to award penalties on minor infractions, he should tell both teams in advance. Consistency is very important from game to game. In any other match, the foul that led to the penalty would have been let go.

I am ******* fuming right now.

- Lack of effort from the TFC starters outside of Brennan, Sutton and Guevara.

- Horribly, HORRIBLY officiated match (worst I've seen in years)

- Neither team deserved to win, although Caps did enough

- Toronto's first loss at BMO since September of last year

- Nolly was superb in goal for Vancouver. Actually both keepers were good today, but Nolly kept at least two sure fire goals out of the net.

Can anyone explain to me how in the hell Cunningham was called offside? He received the ball and sprinted past two defenders, then scored. F-ucking ridiculous. (I hate the stupid board auto-censor, btw)

Oh, and Justin Moose should have been given a card for flipping off the crowd when he was going to take a corner.

I hope John Carver tore into those guys in the locker room after the match. Absolutely pitiful performance from Toronto today.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Well let me just say that was the best TFC match at BMO I have ever seen ! The passion being displayed by the Canadian players on all three teams for the Voyageurs Cup is unbelievable. The European Cup had nothing on this game.

As for the PK, a good call and Jason Devos stated as such. Brennan clearly dragged his man down, and the ball was in the immediate area.

Hirano was the player of the game. He destroyed TFC all match and once he left injured, that was when the game really turned in TFC's favour. Too little, too late for TFC.

As for Cunningham, he should have been red-carded for being a complete loser.

I don't have an ounce of sympathy for TFC. Any professional Canadian side that comes out for the Voyageurs Cup and plays 2 Canadians deserves to be humiliated.

Great game for the Whitecaps and an even better result for Montreal.

Agreed. Too bad we don't have a lot of Senior Canadian players on our roster though since only Canadian players are taking this championship seriously. From a fan POV, Canadian championship has been more exciting to watch than regular MLS games so far.

Some comments about this match are fascinating.

1. The "phantom penalty": If a player is rugby tackled in the box...what should the ref do, close his eyes and turn around? Someone said the call should have gone the other way. I'll have to review the laws of the game. I can't recall where it says it's a foul to let yourself be bearhugged to the ground in the box.

2. Whitecaps were crap. If Whitecaps were crap in a very exciting game, what were TFC if they lost 1-nil? Den über Krapisches? Toronto were horrible.

3. Devos saying the penalty call was "strange". Many others have already pointed this out, but I have to add...No, he bloody well didn't.

Great match, the better team won. Cunningham is an ass, I hope he starts at Swangard.

Allez les blancs!

quote:Originally posted by TFC07

Agreed. Too bad we don't have a lot of Senior Canadian players on our roster though since only Canadian players are taking this championship seriously. From a fan POV, Canadian championship has been more exciting to watch than regular MLS games so far.

There is no reason TFC can't sign Canadian talent, other than they don't want to.

Why is MJ shmoozing with semi-retired 35 yr olds from Europe ?!! Ali Gerba is a monster. You can't tell me that they can't sign Gerba for less than ****-Cunningham is making.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

2. Whitecaps were crap. If Whitecaps were crap in a very exciting game, what were TFC if they lost 1-nil? Den über Krapisches? Toronto were horrible.

Yes.

Both teams were garbage. Vancouver less so.

Well they can't sign Ali right now because San Jose has his MLS rights. But leaving aside the players they can sign, I'd like to see the likes of Hemming & Rosenlund get some playing time. Surely they would have put in a more interested performance than a few of the players out there.

Funny how things looke different on TV, I saw effort and TFC was the better team, they just couldn't finish.

Well having now read Carver's comments (and many of those at the game) it looks like I wasn't the only one at the game who felt TFC came out flat.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Yes.

Both teams were garbage. Vancouver less so.

Before anyone jumps all over me for this comment, let me state that I was far more impressed by Montreal in TFC's game with the Impact there than I was with Vancouver today.

This is not to say that I believe Vancouver is a bad side, obviously they're not. But it's hard for me to laud a team that scored on a dubious penalty and then bunkered the rest of the game.

Regardless, as poor as I thought Vancouver was, I thought Toronto was worse.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Well they can't sign Ali right now because San Jose has his MLS rights. But leaving aside the players they can sign, I'd like to see the likes of Hemming & Rosenlund get some playing time. Surely they would have put in a more interested performance than a few of the players out there.

Whatever happened to Lombardo ? Have they thrown him into the trash heap ?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Before anyone jumps all over me for this comment, let me state that I was far more impressed by Montreal in TFC's game with the Impact there than I was with Vancouver today.

Funny because thats exactly the way felt as well. There were some players on the impact that stood out ( placentino for example). But from what I saw today ( eg that Moose who tackled Robert) from the whitecaps, I saw bunch of Brian Ashtons.

Funny because thats exactly the way felt as well. There were some players on the impact that stood out ( placentino for example). But from what I saw today ( eg that Moose who tackled Robert) from the whitecaps, I saw bunch of Brian Ashtons.

Who's he?

I'm pretty sure he played with the Lynx. It seemed to me there were more than enough Brian Ashton's from BOTH teams out there tonight..although, i'm sure Free Kick may not have noticed that looking through his TFC tinted glasses.

Funnily enough, I actually shouted out his name every time Carl Robinson fired the ball ten feet over the net from the centre of the pitch, in pure Brian Ashton-style.

For Bearcast, Ashton was a tough tackling defensive midfielder for the Toronto Lynx who had a habit of being unable to keep the ball down when taking shots from distance. Carl Robinson did an amazing impersonation of Brian Ashton in today's game, and I couldn't believe it when he was named Man of the Match for Toronto today.

Archived