MARCEL DE JONG CHOOSES TO PLAY FOR CANADA...!!

SCF08

I am happy that I can deliver you this exclusive news...[8D]

The link below is in Dutch from the Voetbalzone site but they copied the news from a Dutch newspaper ''Limburgs Dagblad''. He has already informed the Manager.

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=49005

This is the original source (Limburgs Dagblad)

http://www.ld.nl/nieuws/sport/sport_limburg/article2490290.ece?secId=1730

EDIT :

I've translated the article for you guys...[:o)]

A month earlier than expected Marcel de Jong has made the decision to fully focus on a international football career with Canada. The defender holds both a Dutch and Canadian passport and wasnt sure which country to play for.

Marcel de Jong said..

''The chances of ever playing for Holland are quite small , that just a reality. The Canadian Manager was extremely delighted when I spoke to him and told him about my decision. Offcourse he couldnt guarantee me a call-up straight away , but I'm expecting one for the next Canada game''

De Jong stated a few months ago that he wanted to delay the decision just before his 21st birthday which is on the 15th of October. The left-back has already defended the colours of both countries in the respective youth teams.

To keep both options open the player of the Limburg club (Roda JC) rejected several First Team call-ups of Canada. He did however play a few games for the Holland Under 21s.

Marcel de Jong made a transfer last year from Helmond Sport in the first division to Eredivisie side Roda JC and immediately forced himself into Huub Stevens his first team. Also after Stevens his departure to HSV in Germany the defender is first choice at left back in Raymond Atteveld's team. The born Canadian therefore played a part in 5 league games already this season.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Jamit

Good, I guess. We can't really call him Canadian, can we? But he will be very useful I have no doubt and I will cheer for him like any other Canuck.

This is a good day.

Why cant you call him a Canadian..??

He was born in New Market , Canada. I dont know how long he really lived in Canada but I'm trying to find out. Here are some stats of him and a picture offcourse..;)

2004/05 Helmond Sport 14 1 Eerste divisie

2005/06 Helmond Sport 36 5 Eerste divisie

2006/07 Roda JC 27 0 Eredivisie

2007/08 Roda JC 5 0 Eredivisie

Total: 82 6

jongdem.jpg

This is a good news. We have a lot of lefty playing at a decent level in our MNT pool but DeJong is still very young (october 1986) and is a starter in the Dutch Eredivisie. That's pretty good.

Hope to see him getting a call soon with our MNT.

Now, let's hope JDG2 will make the right decision.

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

He was born in New Market , Canada. I dont know how long he really lived in Canada but I'm trying to find out.

That's actually one word (Newmarket - the same town that Jim Brennan currently lives in, just north of Toronto) and I believe Marcel left Canada when he was 3. So he was here three times as long as Will Johnson, or the same length of time as Issey Nakajima-Farran.

Good news in my opinion - the more depth, the better, for World Cup Qualifying. He's also still eligible for Olympic qualifying, though I suspect he & most of our Euro-based players will be tough to get a hold of. Some may be skeptical of this, but if the kid is committed to Canada and honest about why he's playing for us, then I don't have a problem with it. If it was good enough for Carl Valentine, then it's okay for De Jong.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Some may be skeptical of this, but if the kid is committed to Canada and honest about why he's playing for us, then I don't have a problem with it.

I wasn't being skeptical, or maybe I was. I was just saying the guy is clearly more Dutch then Canadian. But I'm more then happy to be seeing him come on board with the red and white.

I find it kinda funny that players who are not so Canadian come and play for us while players who are more Canadian go and join other nations. Weird.

This is very good news! I had a feeling he'd pick Canada when he was left off the Dutch U21 roster this summer. He's also friends with Jonathan De Guzman, so maybe he'll be another factor in our favour?

Anyways, this kid was born in Canada and if i recall correctly left to go back to Holland at the age of 5. He chose Canada about 5 years ago after being cut from the Dutch U15 team. He represented us in the U17 - 2003 cycle and our U20's - 2005 cycle. Scored a nice FK goal against Italy in our last U20 game that summer. Yeah, he may not be the most Canadian guy on our team, but if you born here then that's ok with me.

I saw him twice last year with Roda and he looked composed on the ball and made the smart pass anytime he had the ball. He started his career as a left wing in the Dutch 4-3-3, and scored 5 goals in the 05/06 season for Helmond Sport. But he was converted to LB early last season with Roda.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Woo hoo! 1 Down, 1 to go.

I haven't seen him play yet, but i've read a lot of good things about him on this board over the years.

You can see only a couple of things of him here during Roda JC - Feyenoord where De Guzman played brilliant.

He receives the ball at 38:49 and plays a great pass to the winger who sets up the goal...

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/roda+feyenoord/video/x2zo8w_16092007-roda-jc-feyenoord-13_sport

He wasnt looking to good at the 1-3. He went to sleep a bit which gave De Guzman the space to get in front of him and tap in the goal. Also when the final whistle is blown they immediately show De Guzman and Marcel de Jong who shake hands..

He played wide left midfield for Canada at both the U17 & U20 team. Mitchell used him in the 4-5-1 in a similar position to where he used Radz, Issey & DeRo in the past two senior team friendlies. With Josh Simpson also a candidate for that spot we have a lot of attacking options for the left (and Issey, Radz, DeRo, Hume and Peters available for the right).

Now if Jonathan wants to play internationally with his brother, that will give us a bit more attacking central midfield depth.....

Great news! We certainly are gaining some depth on the left side of the field! Good to see some competition for spots on the team! I'm getting more optimistic by the day of our qualification chances! Now if a certain other Canadian born player from Holland would join him!

quote:Originally posted by Richard

So you only resort to playing for the country of your birth if there is little to no hope of making it for any other country... pfffttt!

To me, I have no problem with this because he's very up front about everything.

From what I've gathered, he was born in Canada but left at a very young age, which seems to me to be a reverse-Iain Hume situation. If he decided to play for the Dutch, I would be fine with that because he grew up there.

However, as he's chosen Canada, I welcome him with open arms. He's very upfront with the reasons for his choice, and I respect him for that. If he knows he's not going to get a chance with the Dutch team and he'd like to play internationally, there should be no problem with him going for his second choice. However, saying all this, he shouldn't expect to easily walk into the starting lineup.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

I have to say that I agree with you Richard.

I think DeJong was in a particular situation, born in Canada from Dutch parents who had the intention and did return to their homeland. Then he's invited by Canada (let's not fool ourselves and ask DeJong to be a proud canadian) to play for our youth teams, he accepts since he's eligible under FIFA's rules and Holland didn't show much interest in him. After being invited by Holland U-21/U-23 he's having to think about his situation and that's what he did.

In a certain way it looks like Richard portrayed it, but I can easily understand DeJong who thought about reprensenting his own country (Holland) but had another option due to FIFA's rules.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

From what I've gathered, he was born in Canada but left at a very young age, which seems to me to be a reverse-Iain Hume situation. If he decided to play for the Dutch, I would be fine with that because he grew up there.

However, as he's chosen Canada, I welcome him with open arms. He's very upfront with the reasons for his choice, and I respect him for that. If he knows he's not going to get a chance with the Dutch team and he'd like to play internationally, there should be no problem with him going for his second choice. However, saying all this, he shouldn't expect to easily walk into the starting lineup.

Well stated. I agree entirely.

At the end of the day when these players put the maple leaf on does it really matter all that much what their circumstances were leading up to their decision? We have a number of players who were born outside of the country who choose to play for us! Whether that decision was based on their chances with their country of birth or whatever, it doesn't matter at all to me, I want to see us field the very best team we can no matter how these players are eligible! Now mind you when it works the other way as in OH or possibly JD2 it really sucks!

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Agreed 100%

Archived