MARCEL DE JONG CHOOSES TO PLAY FOR CANADA...!!

SCF08

I think JB_Tito was refering to Marcel De Jong, who technically has until October 15th to switch to the Netherlands.

Yildrim is capped by the Dutch, case closed on that one. "B" Internationals are very rare, i think the English decided their friendly against Belarus last year was a "B".

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hilarious...if it was reversed and he was born in holland but grew up in canada, everyone would call him a traitor.

if i had to decide between a minnow country that i knew nothing about, but happened to be born in, or a european powerhouse that i grew up in, i know what decision i would make...the only reason anyone would take the canada option is because he runs the risk of not ever having an international career with holland...it is logical.

since when do you have to meet a certain level of canadianess to play for canada?...he qualifies legitimately under the rules and he chose canada...nothing but good news.

Hooray! Great to see a rising young star choose to play for us. De Jong is another piece in the puzzle for Canada and will hopefully continue the transformation of the NT towards a side that is more creative and comfortable in possession than previous versions.

Also very positive that, as some have said, Marcel's decision that playing for Canada was the better choice for his career may encourage JDG2 to view Canada as that little bit more of a viable platform for his own international career.

Archived