MARCEL DE JONG CHOOSES TO PLAY FOR CANADA...!!

SCF08

De Jong may lack Brennan and Jazic's experience, but he is a far more skillful player than both. I'd put him second at both left back and left mid behind Klukowski and DeRosario and expect that if we are going to keep trying to play decent soccer we will see quite a bit of him in the WC Qualifying rounds.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said before , I'd put De Jong in as a definite starter. I dont know a hell of a lot about Jazic , Brennan and Simpson but I do know a bit about Klukowski as we also get to watch Belgian Football in Holland.

I think it doesnt make a huge difference right now as to which player to pick as they are pretty equal now. But with the age of De Jong , his potential , the much better standard of league he's playing in I'd always put him first.

There is only one left-back better in the Dutch League than De Jong. I think that says enough about his ability...

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

As I said before , I'd put De Jong in as a definite starter. I dont know a hell of a lot about Jazic , Brennan and Simpson but I do know a bit about Klukowski as we also get to watch Belgian Football in Holland.

I think it doesnt make a huge difference right now as to which player to pick as they are pretty equal now. But with the age of De Jong , his potential , the much better standard of league he's playing in I'd always put him first.

There is only one left-back better in the Dutch League than De Jong. I think that says enough about his ability...

If he was as good as you claim he would not have chosen Canada as he would have a good future with Holland. The Belgian league may be slightly poorer than the Dutch but Klukowski is playing for a top team there not a mid-table team like DeJong. I appreciate DeJong's skills but he has also played for our U-20 team without standing out. In 2 or 3 years he may be our first choice LB but at the moment I would still pick several players over him based on what I have seen of his play.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

If he was as good as you claim he would not have chosen Canada as he would have a good future with Holland. The Belgian league may be slightly poorer than the Dutch but Klukowski is playing for a top team there not a mid-table team like DeJong. I appreciate DeJong's skills but he has also played for our U-20 team without standing out. In 2 or 3 years he may be our first choice LB but at the moment I would still pick several players over him based on what I have seen of his play.

When was the last time that he played for your U20s..?? Thats been several years ago and he wasnt playing in his best position.

He played a few games at left midfield as well last year but wasnt great in them and was immediately switched back to left-back.

I'm also slightly surprised that he has chosen to play for Canada because he could have had a few caps for Holland , but he wants to be an important part of the nation of his choice and he just wouldnt be in the Dutch team (He's not that good).

And the Dutch league is not slightly better than the Belgian but a hell of a lot better. The Belgian league is very poor....

Marcel de Jong gets to play against some of the best attacking players in Europe (Huntelaar , Afonso Alves , Makaay , Dembele , Farfan , Lazovic , Suarez , Berg) while Belgium only has Tchite and Jovanovic as good attackers in the league.

And Roda is not a mid-table team as you say. In the last five years they finished 6th on 3 occasions and 8th on 2 occasions. They fight for European Football every year. And this year they certainly have their best side of the past 5 years....

quote:Originally posted by Curtis Armada

If DM holds grudges for Marcel turning his back on the U20 YWC then we wont see this Marcel, Lensky and prob JDG2 for awhile.

??? What are you talking about?

Marcel played for the U-20 in 2005 and wasn't eligible in 2007. He said in the interview that he spoked with DM and that DM was happy with his decision.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

He chose Canada about 5 years ago after being cut from the Dutch U15 team. He represented us in the U17 - 2003 cycle and our U20's - 2005 cycle. Scored a nice FK goal against Italy in our last U20 game that summer. Yeah, he may not be the most Canadian guy on our team, but if you born here then that's ok with me.

If that is the case, then hew was captied at least by 2005. He has not made a recent "choice".

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

If that is the case, then hew was captied at least by 2005. He has not made a recent "choice".

FIFA would've allow him to play for Holland if he got the necessary paperwork to them.

He was cap by Canada in 2003 but was still eligible for Holland. Now that he turns 21, he won't be able to swith team according to FIFA rules.

It's pretty much the same for all our youth players who have been cap but have other possibilities(parents, passports of another countries, etc...).

jpg75 posted explanation already on second page.

"3. If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if the Player is eligible to play for several Association teams due to his nationality, the following exceptions apply:

"(a) Up to his 21st birthday, a player may only once request changing the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches. A Player may exercise this right to change Associations only if he has not played at “A” international level for his current Association and if, at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition of any other category, he already had such nationalities. Changing Associations is not permitted during the preliminary competition of a FIFA competition, continental championship or Olympic Tournaments if a player has already been fielded in a match of one of these competitions.

For him both doors are still open.

Arguing about his immediate impact is pretty pointless.

He becomes the obvious heir apparent at LB...he's got 3 years on Simpson, 5 on Klukowski and 9+ Brennan, Hastings and Jazic.

And, IMHO, of all of the weaknesses of our 2007 u-20 team, I thought our play at LB was the low point. He will, in all likelihood be the man by 2014 qualifiers.

No offense to you, but to label the LB our low point in the 2007 U20's is out there. Read the first 2 words of my post.

I thought de Jong looked very good with our U20's in Holland and look forward to a battle between him and Klukowski for a solid LB.

1 - I have never heard of De Jong playing CB. This is a player who 12 months ago was moved from left wing to left back. If anything he could also play LM.

2 - I would not say that De Jong is an instant starter at LB, that would be a disservice to Mike Klukowski. Brugges fans consider Kluks as a steady defensive left back who is an excellent crosser. He rates as one of their more consistent players. Unfortunately Kluks has not played for Canada much in the past few years and was injured during the 05/06 UCL campaign so none of us has seen much of him recently. We will have to see how they play for Canada and not compare the players based on what club or league they play in.

3 - De Jong played for us as a youth and was cap-tied. He then had the chance to change his allegiance to the Dutch and with his 21st bday approaching has decided to stay with us.

4 - IMO De Jong played decently at the 2005 WYC, he seemed skillful w the ball on the left flank. We were in over our heads against Colombia and Italy, so any scouting has to be taken with a grain of salt. However, he did score one of our 2 goals that tourny.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

To me, I have no problem with this because he's very up front about everything.

From what I've gathered, he was born in Canada but left at a very young age, which seems to me to be a reverse-Iain Hume situation. If he decided to play for the Dutch, I would be fine with that because he grew up there.

However, as he's chosen Canada, I welcome him with open arms. He's very upfront with the reasons for his choice, and I respect him for that. If he knows he's not going to get a chance with the Dutch team and he'd like to play internationally, there should be no problem with him going for his second choice. However, saying all this, he shouldn't expect to easily walk into the starting lineup.

Totally agree here.

quote:Originally posted by gkhs

Arguing about his immediate impact is pretty pointless.

He becomes the obvious heir apparent at LB...he's got 3 years on Simpson, 5 on Klukowski and 9+ Brennan, Hastings and Jazic.

That's really the key here. He is already playing at an excellant first team level, and is still very young.

The sky is the limit with this kid, and he could easily be one of the future leaders on the field for Canada, if he shows some committment to the Maple Leaf.

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

And Roda is not a mid-table team as you say. In the last five years they finished 6th on 3 occasions and 8th on 2 occasions. They fight for European Football every year. And this year they certainly have their best side of the past 5 years....

Ummm ... 8th is certainly mid-table in a 18 team league (18/2 = 9) ;), and it's not two hard to fight for European Football in Holland since such a large number of teams make the playoffs.

But for the record, I'm happy with his choice and think that if he performs well at his next call up, the LB spot is his.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well that was a good one. Wise choice there for the young CANUCK!

This time next year somebody else on the fence just might be in Spain where he has close family connections and the whole Dutch argument might go away.

Reading that story brought shivers to me. Christ, I wouldn't want to be 'UGUR YILDRIM' either although I don't have a clue who the sadly-named fellow is.

Ugur Yildrim?? Dunno man, gives me the shivers. Sounds like a luckless Turk caught trying to sneak into an Armenian weiner roast. The rest I leave to your imagination--HAI!...ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

quote:Originally posted by JB_Tito

jpg75 posted explanation already on second page.

"3. If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new nationality, or if the Player is eligible to play for several Association teams due to his nationality, the following exceptions apply:

"(a) Up to his 21st birthday, a player may only once request changing the Association for which he is eligible to play international matches. A Player may exercise this right to change Associations only if he has not played at “A” international level for his current Association and if, at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition of any other category, he already had such nationalities. Changing Associations is not permitted during the preliminary competition of a FIFA competition, continental championship or Olympic Tournaments if a player has already been fielded in a match of one of these competitions.

For him both doors are still open.

I think this was an “A” international. Both teams brought strong lineups.

http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2004/11/England_vHolland_MatchReport.htm

quote:Originally posted by thegoz

I think this was an “A” international. Both teams brought strong lineups.

http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2004/11/England_vHolland_MatchReport.htm

I think JB_Tito was refering to Marcel De Jong, who technically has until October 15th to switch to the Netherlands.

Yildrim is capped by the Dutch, case closed on that one. "B" Internationals are very rare, i think the English decided their friendly against Belarus last year was a "B".

This is great we have a good young player at LB for the future and possibly for cover right now until he takes that spot or until kluka is moved to the middle. We have great depth at the moment and there is no doubt that this player will take the LB spot in years to come.

Archived