South Africa vs Canada November 20 (confirmed)

loyola

quote:Originally posted by SoccMan

Will Johnson are you kidding me, after seeing him play at the U20 this guy would not be able to play on my beer league team. This guy is no better than Andriano Lombardo . I can't believe he was picked. Are you telling me that he was our best player at the U20 World Cup. This guy should be no where near our national team. Will Johnson give me an effen break.

What?

Okay, I ADMIT I've been rather deeply sampling a keg I put down last week (and it turned out really well) but I say a-gin, sir.

What?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by loyola

I forgot about Imhoff, maybe he's looking at securing a spot with Bochum.

I see he's the other club hold back, along with Friend.

Looks like a very strong squad for us: I'd be interested in seeing how Simpson's play has improved since his arrival in Germany. Also, how may subs are we allowed for this friendly? I wonder if Mitchell will use his full complement.

Bochum has a game on the 24th and I think it is a good sign that they want him to stay. We saw him against both Iceland and Costa Rica and with him on the verge of becoming a 1st Bundesliga starter it is a good move to leave him with his club.

I notice the draw for the WC qualifying is being held in South Africa. Is this the usual procedure? I seem to remember previous times CONCACAF holding its own draw behind closed doors. Does this mean there is a better chance of having a fair draw?

The fact that some dutch coaches are seeing something in him is pretty telling IMO.

I'm actually getting the opposite indication from his foray into the Eredivisie. He was on the periphery at Heerenveen (hence his loan) and now he's not playing that much for a very mediocre team in De Graafschap. Yes, he got a start this past weekend, but apart from that I would have a hard time categorizing his time at De Graafschap as successful.

I don't seem to have the venom of Soccman, but I do partially agree with him. As I said earlier though I can't think of anyone else to replace him with aside from any of the other U20 underachievers (Peters, Edgar, Jackson...).

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I'm actually getting the opposite indication from his foray into the Eredivisie. He was on the periphery at Heerenveen (hence his loan) and now he's not playing that much for a very mediocre team in De Graafschap. Yes, he got a start this past weekend, but apart from that I would have a hard time categorizing his time at De Graafschap as successful.

I don't seem to have the venom of Soccman, but I do partially agree with him. As I said earlier though I can't think of anyone else to replace him with aside from any of the other U20 underachievers (Peters, Edgar, Jackson...).

De Graafschap had a surprising start, so it wasn't surprising to see Johnson coming off the bench while his team was doing well (why change a winning formula). Now that things have come back to what they are supposed to be, I think Will have a chance to win a starting spot in the team.

BTW, from what I know, isn't Simpson also used mainly as a sub since his arrival at Kaiserlautern (or it's his injuries that make me believe that)?

quote:Originally posted by VI

GK - Lars Hirschfeld, Kenny Stamatopoulos

D - Andre Hainault, Mike Klukowski, Kevin McKenna, Richard Hastings

D/M - Marcel Dejong, Paul Salteri, Atiba Hutchinson

M - Julian De Guzman, Josh Simpson, Patrice Bernier, Issey Nakajima-Farran

M/F - Tomasz Radzinski, Will Johnson, Iain Hume

F - Olivier Occean

That's a strong roster!

Here's my XI, i moved Klukowski into the middle for 2 reasons. First it allows us to have both he and DeJong on the field at the same time since we haven't seen alot of either for a while. Second, we have someone with mobility partnered with McKenna - having Kev and Hainault together might not work so well..and i think Klukowski is a slightly better player than Hastings, the other option for the middle.

--------------Hirschfeld-------------

Stalteri---McKenna--Klukowski---DeJong

----------------Bernier--------------

Radz-----Hutchinson-DeGuzman---Simpson

----------------Occean----------------

I like Johnson...a lot. I see a lot of kids touted on this board who are simply athletes and who struggle once they lose the advantage of that atleticism as tehy advance. Johnson has a footballers brain, is two footed and has a bit of creativity. I think he will be a mainstay on the Nats for years, provided we play the ball on the ground primarily. Might be a bit early for him yet on the senior team, but he has considerable upside IMO.

quote:Originally posted by loyolaBTW, from what I know, isn't Simpson also used mainly as a sub since his arrival at Kaiserlautern (or it's his injuries that make me believe that)?

Simpson was a sub most of last year and played very inconsistenly but after a coaching change (a temporary coach who probably should have stayed) played very well and was a starter by the end of the year. Then he was injured at the end of the season and still out of action at the start of this year. The first few games after returning from injury he was either a sub or didn't play 90 until he regained fitness and then seemed to have won his starting job back for a few games. About 2 weeks ago he publicly criticized the current head coach (unwise but not entirely unjustified) and the next game found himself as a sub.

De Graafschap had a surprising start, so it wasn't surprising to see Johnson coming off the bench while his team was doing well (why change a winning formula). Now that things have come back to what they are supposed to be, I think Will have a chance to win a starting spot in the team.

Maybe , but last weekend he got his chance because someone was injured. I've followed him troughout the season and he hasnt impressed me at all until last weekend , when he was playing as a right midfielder/winger. I thought he was really useful there and showed some good pace and timed his runs going forward to perfection. It seemed like he was born for that position...

I also liked his work-rate. Even in the 90th minute he made several 50 yard runs just to keep tackling and battling. It would be very interesting to see what the next line-up will be of De Graafschap.

As a striker he is far too lightweight and a bit too wild. He just doesnt seem a regular goalscorer. But maybe all the 15/20 sub appearances didnt help in that position as well.

Canada Roster

Lars Hirschfeld, Rosenborg (Norway), Edmonton; Mike Klukowski, Club Brugge (Belgium), Oshawa, Ont.; Andre Hainault, FK SIAD Most (Czech Republic), Hudson, Que.; Kevin McKenna, FC Koln (Germany), Calgary; Julian De Guzman, Deportivo La Coruna (Spain), Toronto; Paul Stalteri, Tottenham Hotspur (England), Brampton, Ont.; Marcel de Jong, Roda JC (Netherlands), Newmarket, Ont.; Tomasz Radzinski Skoda Xanthi (Greece), Toronto; Olivier Occean, Lillestrom (Norway), Brossard, Que.; Richard Hastings, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Vancouver; Issey Nakajima-Farran, FC Nordsjaelland (Denmark), Calgary; Atiba Hutchinson, FC Kopenhagen (Denmark), Brampton, Ont.; Josh Simpson, FC Kaiserslautern (Germany), Victoria, B.C.; Will Johnson, De Graafschap (Netherlands), Woodridge, Ill.; Iain Hume, Leicester City (England), Brampton, Ont.; Patrice Bernier, FC Kaiserslautern (Germany), Brossard, Que.; Kenny Stamatopoulos, Toronto FC (MLS), Markham, Ont.

Head Coach: Dale Mitchell.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071112.wsptafrica12/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

As a striker he is far too lightweight and a bit too wild. He just doesnt seem a regular goalscorer. But maybe all the 15/20 sub appearances didnt help in that position as well.

Maybe so, but keep in mind though that for this match there aren't a lot of in-season Canadian strikers that we can call upon for this match. I bet even Simeon Jackson would be wanted by his club.

The only player deserving a look based on the U20's this summer would be David Edgar. However Hainault appears to have the inside track on Edgar, and we also called in Hastings so it's a bit of a numbers game right now for young David.

Will Johnson looked crap for the lead up prep. games and the first 2 tourny games because he was tracking back too far into the midfield. He really stepped it up against Congo when he started going forward and got a bit unlucky that none of his corners, crosses and passes into the box weren't converted. I think he has a future with the CMNT, but probably not as one of our star players.

If Mitchell continues with the 4-4-1-1 formation he used against Iceland...

Hirschfeld

Stalteri, Hainault, McKenna, Klukowski

Nakajima-Farran, de Guzman, Bernier, Radzinski

Hume, Occean

Subs: Stamatopoulos, Hastings, de Jong, Hutchinson, Simpson, Johnson

No point makes too many drastic changes from the Iceland game to start with. Occean instead of Gerba and McKenna instead of Hastings.

If he goes 4-5-1 I see Hutchinson coming in and Hume on the bench.

I think de Jong and Simpson will both get a run in the second half. Hastings will only be used if anything happens to the other three defenders.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'm not sold on having a d-mid in front of the defenders. We need to start scoring goals and having 5 back leaves us thin at the other end of the field.

I like having Hutchinson in front of the defenders because he can run at people on the counter and also deliver a good ball. He is also quick and strong defensively. I think having that presence helps "protect" our centrebacks (which is our weakest link probably, certainly our general lack of pace there can be worrying) by not letting people run at them or giving someone time on the ball for a quality through ball.

I think the play of the outside backs is critical. Once we have Stalteri and Jazic/Klukowski/DeJong/whoever pushing forward we're a lot more dynamic.

I like jpg75's roster, but I'd maybe start Hastings at CB and Klukowski outside and then push Kluka inside and sub in De Jong for a stretch.

I'm also wondering how De Jong might look up in the DeRo/Simpson spot on the attacking left.

re: Johnson, I don't think he's supremely gifted, but he reminds me of Hume to a certain extent. He has a good shot, a great work rate and a great attitude. We'll see how he develops, but a bad few months this summer doesn't mean the end of Peters, Johnson, Begovic or Edgar. I think we should continue to work the young guys in, get them some experience here and there and get them familiar with the group.

I really like this squad. It's rare, but I don't think I have any complaints.

cheers,

matthew

My formation would be;

----------Hirschfeld------------------

Stalteri, Hainault, McKenna, Klukowski

----Hutchinson, de Guzman, Bernier----

---------Hume, Radzinski-------------

-------------Occean-------------------

Subs: Stamatopoulos, Hastings, de Jong, Nakajima-Farran, Simpson, Johnson

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

I'm a big fan of De Jong , only 21 years of age and a lot of match experience already at a high level. I think Roda JC is of the same level as Club Brugge but obviously the Dutch Eredivisie is much much stronger in comparison to the Belgian Jupiler League.

What do you base this on other than your own Dutch bias? I would rate the two leagues as at about the same level with the Dutch league slightly stronger. However, Club Brugge is a far stronger club than Roda.

As much as I appreciate some of the European guys posting information on their own leagues the biased overestimating of their leagues strength is neither required nor endearing. Ceres with his ridiculous claims about the strength of the Danish league turned me against them and sometimes it was even hard to hope for Hutchinson's FC Copenhagen because you knew he was going to come on and post some BS if they won. I really noticed the difference with how I felt about Lars and Rosenburg's success because the Norwegians who have posted here are humble and have an objective view of the strength of the league.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

What do you base this on other than your own Dutch bias? I would rate the two leagues as at about the same level with the Dutch league slightly stronger. However, Club Brugge is a far stronger club than Roda.

As much as I appreciate some of the European guys posting information on their own leagues the biased overestimating of their leagues strength is neither required nor endearing.

If you really think I'm biased [B)] there's only one way to find out. I'd suggest that you or I log on on a Fan Site of Club Brugge and ask their opinion about their League and their thoughts on the comparison I made.

On what do you base your suspicions regarding the comparisment in strength of the Dutch League vs the Belgian being fairly even..?

The hope of Belgian football plays in foreign countries and most in Holland (Dembele , Vertonghen , Vermaelen , Martens , De Roover). Kevin Mirallas plays in France and Lombaerts plays in Russia. The first thing a young belgian player wants is to move to Holland and if thats not possible another country. There is very little young and upcoming talent in their league because the league is not very good and attractive. I can only name 3 candidates in Defour and Fellaini who both play at Standard Luik (Liege) and Jonathan Leagear at Anderlecht.

Their national team has been a disaster (It will be great in 2/3 years) and only Anderlecht have been a decent side in recent years (although they couldnt get a win in CL). Anderlecht proposed to cut 8 teams from the league just to make it more competitive. They wanted a league of 10 teams instead of 18.

Club Brugge have been very smart in the past 1,5 years because they bought the best players at smaller clubs (Sterchele , Daerden , Geraerts) in the league instead of buying foreign , and Club has also added some respected old heads who are ending their career there (Vermant , Valgaeren , Sonck)

They are finally a good team again but not top. I think that if you put the Club Brugge team in the Dutch league they would definately be below the top 4 here (PSV , Feyenoord , ajax and AZ) and they would battle with teams like (Heerenveen , FC Twente , Roda JC and FC Groningen).

I'd put Anderlecht in the same bracket. There's not much difference between Anderlecht and Brugge anymore.

You thinking that Club Brugge is a far stronger club than Roda JC is either being very generous to Club or you lacking knowledge about the strength of Roda. They have a very consistent team with a couple of oustanding creative players in Lamah and Hadouir.

quote:Originally posted by Martyr

If Mitchell continues with the 4-4-1-1 formation he used against Iceland...

I'm not sure that it was a 4-4-1-1 formation in that case, but even if it was he definitely didn't continue with it against Costa Rica, where it was a clear 4-5-1 (or 4-3-2-1 if you prefer). I expect we will see that against SA, with either DeJong, Simpson or Issey starting as the left attacking mid in the absense of DeRo.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

--------------Hirschfeld-------------

Stalteri---McKenna--Klukowski---DeJong

----------------Bernier--------------

Radz-----Hutchinson-DeGuzman---Simpson

----------------Occean----------------

This is very close to what I think we will see to start against SA, except I think Hastings will start at the back and Klukowski at LB. But as Matthew suggests I can see Mike being moved centrally and then having DeJong brought in at LB (either off the bench or moved back there once Simpson comes off the bench).

quote:Originally posted by Soju

I hope Hastings gets some minutes so we can see if he's the real deal at CB or if Gold Cup was a flash in the pan. I think he can hold his own there, surprise of the tournament as we've discussed here before.

I forgot about that. Some people have downplayed our Gold Cup

results, but look at our backline. Hastings was playing out of

position, a 20 year old Andre Hainault was CB, Jazic at LB,

and Stalteri (who had been injured and sat a few club games) at RB.

And yet CONCACAF names Hastings as first team CB. This is pretty

good depth, guys! (And in the past GC, we were missing McKenna,

Brennan, Klukowski, Hirschfeld, Radzinski, Nsaliwa, Peters,

Simpson, and Grande, among others.)

This Tam situation blows my mind! Which bureaucracy are we waiting for Germany's or FIFA's?

How long is it going to take to get this all sorted out?

I salivate each time I watch AEK play. He breaks things up well, great passer and he has some fire to him. Last week he almost scrapped with a PAO player.

He is an automatic starter in my books...

Archived