South Africa vs Canada November 20 (confirmed)

loyola

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Yahoo Sports

South African squads for US and Canadian games

International - South Africa name friendly squads

Eurosport - Wed, 07 Nov 15:47:00 2007

South Africa have named two separate squads for international friendlies against the United States and Canada later this month.

Coach Carlos Alberto Parreira said he would use the matches to look at various options before settling on the team to take to January's African Cup of Nations finals.

Parreira named a full-strength squad for the match against the Americans in Johannesburg on November 17 but will allow most of his foreign-based contingent to return to their clubs before the game against the Canadians in Durban on November 20.

Squad v US:

Rowen Fernandez (Arminia Bielefeld), Moeneeb Josephs (Wits University); Bradley Carnell (Karlsruhe), Tsepo Masilela (Maccabi Haifa), Vuyo Mere (Mamelodi Sundowns), Benson Mhlongo (Mamelodi Sundowns), Aaron Mokoena (Blackburn Rovers), Bryce Moon (Ajax Cape Town), Nasief Morris (Panathinaikos); Delron Buckley (Borussia Dortmund), Brent Carelse (Mamelodi Sundowns), Lance Davids (Djurgardens), Kagisho Dikgacoi (Lamontville Golden Arrows), Teko Modise (Orlando Pirates), Siyabonga Nkosi (Arminia Bielefeld), Steven Pienaar (Everton), Macbeth Sibaya (Rubin Kazan), Siphiwe Tshabalala (Kaizer Chiefs); Lerato Chabangu (Mameodi Sundowns), Thembinkosi Fanteni (Ajax Cape Town), Benedict McCarthy (Blackburn Rovers), Sibusiso Zuma (Arminia Bielefeld)

Squad v Canada:

Rowen Fernandez (Arminia Bielefeld), Moeneeb Josephs (Wits University); Brett Evans (Ajax Cape Town), Bevan Fransman (Moroka Swallows), Ashraf Hendricks (Wits University), Tsepo Masilela (Maccabi Haifa), Vuyo Mere (Mamelodi Sundowns), Benson Mhlongo (Mamelodi Sundowns), Bryce Moon (Ajax Cape Town); Brent Carelse (Mamelodi Sundowns), Lance Davids (Djurgardens), Kagisho Dikgacoi (Lamontville Golden Arrows), Teko Modise (Orlando Pirates), Lebogang Mothibantwa (Bloemfontein Celtic), Bernard Parker (Thanda Royal Zulu), Bamuza Sono (Jomo Cosmos), Siphiwe Tshabalala (Kaizer Chiefs); Lerato Chabangu (Mameodi Sundowns), Bennet Chenene (Orlando Pirates), Thembinkosi Fanteni (Ajax Cape Town), Norman Smith (Lamontville Golden Arrows)

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Based on his squad selection, it seems the SA gaffer rates the US a touch higher than Canada. CONCACAF must have burned all video of the Gold Cup semi.

It seems the SA coach is looking at letting his euro based players getting back with their clubs quickly after the first game. I don't see this as underrating Canada, just the fact that we're playing the second game and their coach want to see domestic players.

To be honest, while I think we've improved in the last couple of years, I still think that we are not at the level of USA and Mexico.

We're clearly not at the level of USA or Mexico based on head to head results in recent years. There's no telling what Mexico might have or might not have done against us had we reached the GC final match, so for now I hope we prove our worth by giving the SA B team a sound beating.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

We're clearly not at the level of USA or Mexico based on head to head results in recent years.

results v. USA in the last 2 years:

2-1 Loss

0-0 Tie

not that bad.

we havent played mexico in years...tied them in '97.

not saying we are at the same level, but head to head isnt really a fair determinant.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

we havent played mexico in years...tied them in '97.

not saying we are at the same level, but head to head isnt really a fair determinant.

We also beat them 2-1 in OT at the 2000 Gold Cup. Then during 2002 WCQ, we lost 2-0 in Mexico City and tied them 0-0 in Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Gerry Dobson has a bit of news on this upcoming friendly. No Friend and perhaps the young de Jong will be called.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/gerry_dobson/2007/11/08/lets_be_friends/

I understand how keeping the clubs happy is important but so is generating some team chemistry. If we continue to miss at least a few key players for every date between now and WCQ I fear that that chemistry may actually never come.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

I understand how keeping the clubs happy is important but so is generating some team chemistry. If we continue to miss at least a few key players for every date between now and WCQ I fear that that chemistry may actually never come.

I agree with your sentiment here, it's very frustrating to have players not call because they are doing well with their clubs....

The good thing is we have other very capable forwards in Gerba and Occean. While it's nice to see Friend scoring at an impressive rate I'm not sure he's a sure starter coming next August (if we pass the home and away serie). There's a lot of factors that will come into play at this moment...

But right now, I would like to see him starting in SA.

Good to hear that DeJong will be call.

I'm wondering about Lars presence considering that Rosenborg will play Chelsea one week after the SA game.

Tough one.

If viewed as an isolated international (this match against SA), which it may be, I see little problem in leaving a few players with their clubs, especially if they're badly needed, skating on thin ice or on a roll. I tend to side with the players needs over the NTs wants in circumstances like that.

That being said it really is a juggling act isn't it? If an important link in the chemistry you're trying to create (where ever on the field) is absent it opens up a whole slew of options and alternatives, and decisions for Mitchell in how to approach this match.

It may have sunk in over at CSA HQ that maintaining a reasonable ranking is important this year as WCQ approaches. Winning these usually meaningless friendlies takes on some seriousness.

That being said I'd leave Friend at home. He's a good lad and he'll be there when needed but for now we may be better served by allowing his club performances to continue without interruption.

Lars is another matter. This may be one of those rare instances where his club may benefit from his participating in international duty.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

So far we have:

In: Klukowski, Stamatopoulos, maybe De Jong?

Out: Friend, all North American based players except De Rosario

Is that right?

Well, you forgot DeRo on the "In" list...

In: Klukowski, Stamatopoulos, De Rosario, maybe De Jong?

Out: Friend, all North American based players except De Rosario

(If all other NA-based players are out then it means Lars is probably getting the call...unless we go with Stama, Wagenaar/Begovic/Giacomi [:0])

Disappointing news on Friend. Its really disheartening to not have access to a player because he is playing too well. This wouldn't happen if he played for Germany, and it shouldn't happen to us.

We should however definitely see McKenna as per the agreement with the club with the last friendly vs CR.

Iain Hume has missed his last two matches due to a muscle strain. The striker stepping into his spot, DJ Campbell, has scored in both of those games. So for fitness, and competition reasons, he should stay with Leicester to keep his spot as he has been a real important player for them this year. I would be surprised to see him.

I'm not expecting to see DeVos, but he did say in an interview that he would consider playing for Canada again. If he is going to get involved, which would be a definite asset for us, he sould do so sooner than later. Does anyone have any info on whether Mitchell has at least contacted him about it? DeVos is an incredible leader and a legend at Ipswich, it is sad that he is no longer with the nats.

Here's my best guess at an 18 man roster:

GK:

Hirschfeld

Stamatopoulos

(Wagenaar or Begovic)

D:

Stalteri

De Jong

McKenna

Hastings

Hainault

Edgar

M:

DeGuzman

DeRosario

Radzinksi

Hutchinson

Bernier

Imhof

(Johnson/Peters/Dodds)

S:

Gerba

Occean

For comparison sake (when our roster is released) here is the US roster:

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_3637262.html

GOALKEEPERS (2) – Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton FC)

DEFENDERS (5) –Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Dan Califf (Aalborg BK), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege)

MIDFIELDERS (7) – Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Eddie Lewis (Derby County)

FORWARDS (3) – Josmer Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

I'm not expecting to see DeVos, but he did say in an interview that he would consider playing for Canada again. If he is going to get involved, which would be a definite asset for us, he sould do so sooner than later. Does anyone have any info on whether Mitchell has at least contacted him about it? DeVos is an incredible leader and a legend at Ipswich, it is sad that he is no longer with the nats.

I think some people are under some delusion of what De Vos is capable of these days. He would be pretty far down my depth chart after the likes of Brennan, McKenna, Nsaliwa, Hainault, Edgar and maybe even Hastings. While he is the captain, he's hardly a legend at Ipswich. They have conceded 22 goals in 14 games which definitely puts them in the bottom half of the table in that category (only 5 teams have conceded more and 4 of them have played one more game). And I can't help but remember what one Ipswich fan said of him last year: "He's got the mobility of a telephone pole."

He was a fantastic leader for Canada and is definitely one of the few bright spots in the program from the last 20 years, however you will be hard pressed to convince me that he is the missing cog on this team.

I have to disagree.

Have you seen De Vos play lately? I saw him captain Ipswich against Norwich on the weekend (in person), and he looked extremely capable. He organised the defence and set-pieces and was by far their best defender. Not to mention he created the first goal with some clever work off a free kick and he nearly headed home the winner, hitting the post with a header in the dying minutes. He was, and still is an absolute beast in the air and a calm defender.

I agree that McKenna is a step ahead of Jason at this point, as I saw McKenna live at Koln just a week prior to De Vos. McKenna has more athleticism than Jason, but they are very similar players. Both with great leadership, however McKenna is 6 years younger and therefore more important to us.

My ideal partnership at CB would be McKenna and Tam Nsaliwa. But there is no guarantee Tam will be available for us ever again. So that leaves Hainault and Hastings or forcing Imhof or Serioux to play back there. Or maybe Edgar in years to come.

It is quite obvious that De Vos, as the captain of an English Championship side, is a better current option that all of the above listed.

Even look at it as who could be possibly be a better sub for McKenna than JDV. You would be kidding yourself to say he is not good enough to crack our current squad. Hainault or Hastings over JDV? Really?

You know what surprised me the most about JDV and the Norwich fixture was how much he was up in the attack. Seemed to spend an awful lot of time up in the attacking area for a centre half.

Looked good against Coventry City too.

He is slow though. And worse, doesn't exactly have neck snapping acceleration. If you're a gear short you better get up to your best speed damned quick and JDV doesn't.

Just mussing. JDV has retired and unless we need him as emergency cover (ala Onstad) it's time we moved on. Still may play a role for us though and I wouldn't be upset to see it happen.

We dont need both McKenna and JDV. They are the same player essentially. Having those two paired at the back would be disastrous. As we all agree McKenna is the better of the 2, lets just leave JDV alone. We arent going to call him up to sit on the bench. Id rather see Hainault or Edgar in WCQ than deVos.

gotta think of the future, not the past.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Tough one.

If viewed as an isolated international (this match against SA), which it may be, I see little problem in leaving a few players with their clubs, especially if they're badly needed, skating on thin ice or on a roll. I tend to side with the players needs over the NTs wants in circumstances like that.

That being said it really is a juggling act isn't it? If an important link in the chemistry you're trying to create (where ever on the field) is absent it opens up a whole slew of options and alternatives, and decisions for Mitchell in how to approach this match.

It may have sunk in over at CSA HQ that maintaining a reasonable ranking is important this year as WCQ approaches. Winning these usually meaningless friendlies takes on some seriousness.

That being said I'd leave Friend at home. He's a good lad and he'll be there when needed but for now we may be better served by allowing his club performances to continue without interruption.

Lars is another matter. This may be one of those rare instances where his club may benefit from his participating in international duty.

I agree with a number of your points.

Our most important midfielders have had a number of matches together and have performed very well both as a unit and individually. I don't believe that this particular match is going to have a make or break on the team chemistry at this point. So perhaps this will be a good opportunity for Mitchell/Hart to see or prepare some deputies for other positions: for instance, and I personally wouldn't have said this a couple of years ago, but what would we do without DeGuzman in the starting XI? Who replaces him and what tactics/style do we play in his absense? If DeRo is playing, maybe he could be tried in his Dynamo role as opposed to playing on the left, instead giving someone like Issey another start there, or even giving a debut to De Jong (though I understand that he has been playing left back at club level)

The back line is still an issue for me, however. It would be good to have Klukowski and McKenna back, with Stalteri, Hainault, and Hirschfeld together because I think (hope) they will face some good pressure in this away match.

Archived