South Africa vs Canada November 20 (confirmed)

loyola

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GK - Lars Hirschfeld, Kenny Stamatopoulos

D - Andre Hainault, Mike Klukowski, Kevin McKenna, Richard Hastings

D/M - Marcel Dejong, Paul Salteri, Atiba Hutchinson

M - Julian De Guzman, Josh Simpson, Patrice Bernier, Issey Nakajima-Farran

M/F - Tomasz Radzinski, Will Johnson, Iain Hume

F - Olivier Occean

I'm going to comment it as it's the official roster and say that I'm really happy to see those guys: Simpson, DeJong and Johnson. The only real deception, if I'm not forgetting important and available players, is the absence of Tam Nsaliwa.

Here's a starting 11

Hirschfeld

Stalteri--Hainault--Mckenna--Kluka

-----Bernier--------Hutchinson----

Radz-----------DeGuzman---------Simpson

--------------Occean---------------

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm going to comment it as it's the official roster and say that I'm really happy to see those guys: Simpson, DeJong and Johnson. The only real deception, if I'm not forgetting important and available players, is the absence of Tam Nsaliwa.

I think Tam is still trying to get word that he's actually allowed to play for Canada.

A 17 man roster. I guess if Houston had lost to KC it would have been 18.

No Tam, so I'm assuming his citizenship issues are not yet resolved. No Ali Gerba, but as he's only played one club game in the past few months I guess they wanted to look at how someone a bit more in-season like Johnson was coming along so that's not a surprise. No Imhof though, which is a bit surprising considering his recent form.

Nice to see Josh back, and Marcel given a look.

Disagree on Johnson. He's only started two games for his club and all of the rest of his appearances have been as a (very) late sub. While I can't think off the top of my head of who should replace him, I don't think he should come off the bench for this one.

Preferred lineup:

--------------Hirschfeld--------------

Stalteri--Hainault--McKenna--Klukowski

---------------Bernier----------------

--------De Guzman---Hutchinson-----

-----Hume-----------Simpson/De Jong

---------------Occean---------------

That would be an exciting lineup.

quote:Originally posted by tarnado

I can't decide who should start at left back. Klukowski or De Jong, I know Kluk is good at free kicks but De Jong likes to get forward and is good at corner kicks. Klukowski has the edge in experience I think, but Marcel has started quite a few this year. I would like to hear your opinion SCF08.

Marcel is also a decent set-piece taker. He is Roda JC's 1st corner taker and 2nd choice free-kick taker I think.

He is definately good going forward when coming from left-back. He provides a lot of deep crosses at Roda JC and combines well with someone in front of him. I wouldnt put him in Left Midfield as he simply hasnt got the pace/trickery for that position. He's been in that position there at Roda a few times last season but wasnt really as effective.

This year he has played 9 out of 11 games. He missed last weekends game because of a tactics change and Roda adopting an attacking 3-4-3 line-up. So he's well rested and ready for his first cap.

I would put him straight into the first XI and play him 90 mins. That's the best way for Mitchell to get a good idea of him , it gives De Jong confidence that he's made the right decision and he cant be picked for Holland again.

http://www.vi.nl/Spelers/Speler/MarcelDeJong.htm

And after the friendly the manager can decide between Klukowski/De Jong.

I'm a big fan of De Jong , only 21 years of age and a lot of match experience already at a high level. I think Roda JC is of the same level as Club Brugge but obviously the Dutch Eredivisie is much much stronger in comparison to the Belgian Jupiler League.

Marcel de Jong summoned to Canada's senior side for South Africa friendly

By Neil Davidson, The Canadian Press

Uncapped midfielder Marcel de Jong will make the jump to the Canadian senior soccer side this month, but there is still no word on Jonathan de Guzman, another talented Canadian with citizenship options.

On Monday, Canadian coach Dale Mitchell named de Jong in his 17-man squad for a friendly against South Africa in Durban on Nov. 20. The 21-year-old plays for Roda JC in the Netherlands.

As for de Guzman, England's Sun and Daily Mail newspapers have reported that Chelsea is lining up an eight-million-pound (C$15.9 million) offer in January - when the transfer window reopens - for the 20-year-old, who has been turning heads with Feyenoord in the Netherlands. The Sun said de Guzman had been personally recommended to billionaire Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich by veteran Dutch coach Piet de Visser.

The Sun says de Visser brought the likes of Salomon Kalou, Mikel John Obi and Brazil's Alex to Chelsea' attention.

De Guzman, whose older brother Julian plays midfield for Spain's Deportivo La Coruna and Canada, has been in the Feyenoord system since he was 12.

"It's totally in Jonathan's camp," Mitchell said Monday. "Obviously some good things are happening with his career. There are rumours that are circulating.

"Our status, I think, is unchanged. It's a decision for Jonathan and his family and his people to decide what's best for him. We're obviously very interested in his services if they would become available to us."

The lure of playing for the Netherlands, ranked seventh in the world and which has been home for some eight years, will be hard to resist.

De Jong, who has both Canadian and Dutch citizenship, played for Mitchell in the 2005 FIFA U-20 World Cup and has some 20 caps for Canada at youth levels. But he apparently still had the Dutch option, because of his tender age.

"He was in a situation where he could have changed, due to the FIFA regulations," Mitchell said. "He technically could still have chosen Holland, although I think he would have had to have done it by his 21st birthday."

De Jong, who turned 21 on Oct. 15, was invited to one of the Dutch youth team camp's last year.

"We're pleased he's committed now to us," Mitchell said

Mitchell tried to call up de Jong for the August Iceland friendly but it did not work out.

Midfielder Dwayne De Rosario and goalkeeper Pat Onstad are unavailable because of this weekend's MLS Cup. Mitchell elected not to call up other MLS players because most have been out of action for a few weeks.

"The other side of the equation is that I don't get to see the European-based players as much as guys over here and I'm still at a stage where I'm looking and considering a number of players. So this is a good opportunity for them, given all of those things, and also the travel involved (to South Africa) for a North American-based player."

The MLS exception is Toronto FC goalkeeper Kenny Stamatopoulos.

Striker Rob Friend (Borussia Moenchengladbach) and defender-midfielder Daniel Imhof (Bochum) are not in the squad because their German clubs wanted to keep them, Mitchell said.

Veterans on the roster for the South Africa game include defenders Paul Stalteri (Tottenham, England), and Kevin McKenna (FC Koln, Germany), midfielder Julian de Guzman and striker Tomaz Radzinski (Skoda Xanthi, Greece)

Canada is currently ranked 51st in the world, compared to No. 83 for South Africa, host of the 2010 World Cup.

Mitchell and Canadian team manager Morgan Quarry will remain in South Africa after the game for the Nov. 25 World Cup qualifying draw.

Mitchell expects Canada to open qualifying next June with a home-and-away playoff series with the winner advancing in August to the 12-team CONCACAF semifinals, which will be split into three pools of four. The top two from each group will advance to the final round of qualifying in North and Central America and the Caribbean.

The top three countries will earn a berth in the World Cup with the fourth-place team taking on the fifth-place finisher in South America to see who joins them.

South Africa is using the Canada match, plus a Nov. 17 game against the U.S. and Nov. 27 outing against Lesotho to fine-tune its roster for the coming African Cup of Nations.

Coach Carlos Albert Parreira has saved his stars for the U.S. game with striker Benni McCarthy (Blackburn, England) and midfielder Steven Pienaar (Everton, England) and defender-midfielder Aaron Mokoena (Blackburn) excused from the Canada game.

There are 12 non-domestic-based South Africa players for the U.S. game, but only four for the Canada match.

-

Canada

Lars Hirschfeld, Rosenborg (Norway), Edmonton; Mike Klukowski, Club Brugge (Belgium), Oshawa, Ont.; Andre Hainault, FK SIAD Most (Czech Republic), Hudson, Que.; Kevin McKenna, FC Koln (Germany), Calgary; Julian De Guzman, Deportivo La Coruna (Spain), Toronto; Paul Stalteri, Tottenham Hotspur (England), Brampton, Ont.; Marcel de Jong, Roda JC (Netherlands), Newmarket, Ont.; Tomasz Radzinski Skoda Xanthi (Greece), Toronto; Olivier Occean, Lillestrom (Norway), Brossard, Que.; Richard Hastings, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Vancouver; Issey Nakajima-Farran, FC Nordsjaelland (Denmark), Calgary; Atiba Hutchinson, FC Kopenhagen (Denmark), Brampton, Ont.; Josh Simpson, FC Kaiserslautern (Germany), Victoria, B.C.; Will Johnson, De Graafschap (Netherlands), Woodridge, Ill.; Iain Hume, Leicester City (England), Brampton, Ont.; Patrice Bernier, FC Kaiserslautern (Germany), Brossard, Que.; Kenny Stamatopoulos, Toronto FC (MLS), Markham, Ont.

Head Coach: Dale Mitchell.

quote:Originally written by Neil Davidson

The lure of playing for the Netherlands, ranked seventh in the world and which has been home for some eight years, will be hard to resist.

Perhaps, but if he makes the move, would it still be possible for him to obtain citizenship that would allow him to play for the Netherlands?

Otherwise, good stuff again from Davidson. It would have been nice for a Nsaliwa update, but perhaps there isn't one.

Pretty good squad. Pretty good squad indeed.

Two interesting notes, and Neil Davidson just made one of them on The Footy Show. De Jong earns a senior cap with this match. Know the decision was made a while ago but until the bird is in the game bag....

That and the fact we've been pretty much told Patrick Onstad of Houston Dynamo is in the goalkeeper pool for Canada. Great news. The man should do an Adidas commercial. He's getting his 2nd wind (international) at the age of 40. That's a great story.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Two interesting notes, and Neil Davidson just made one of them on The Footy Show. De Jong earns a senior cap with this match. Know the decision was made a while ago but until the bird is in the game bag....

Even if Marcel doesn't play next week for Canada (or ever) he's still cap-tie and can't switch for the Netherlands according to FIFA rules.

Will Johnson are you kidding me, after seeing him play at the U20 this guy would not be able to play on my beer league team. This guy is no better than Andriano Lombardo . I can't believe he was picked. Are you telling me that he was our best player at the U20 World Cup. This guy should be no where near our national team. Will Johnson give me an effen break.

quote:Originally posted by SoccMan

Will Johnson are you kidding me, after seeing him play at the U20 this guy would not be able to play on my beer league team. This guy is no better than Andriano Lombardo . I can't believe he was picked. Are you telling me that he was our best player at the U20 World Cup. This guy should be no where near our national team. Will Johnson give me an effen break.

The fact that some dutch coaches are seeing something in him is pretty telling IMO.

From what I've seen of Johnson since 2005, I think he was the victim of the poor quality of his teammates this summer...and he's not the kind of players who can do it all alone.

Archived