South Africa vs Canada November 20 (confirmed)

loyola

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

I've noticed this phenomenon before. In 2000, Canada performed unbelievably well at the Gold Cup, only to struggle against below average competition in WCQ. The difference in competition between the two sets of matches IMO is that most countries put a lot more preparation into WCQ than the Gold Cup.

I disagree. Canada won the tournament in 2000, but only put on one dominating performance (the final vs. Colombia). Important wins against T&T and Mexico came in spite of being out played.

By contrast, with the exception of the first half against the USA, Canada played even with or better than all opponents in the 2007 GC.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. We have much more talent today.

Toronto Ruffrider has obviously missed my and many other's scathing comments on Frank Yallop's disastrous coaching in our WCQ.

I've noticed this phenomenon before. In 2000, Canada performed unbelievably well at the Gold Cup, only to struggle against below average competition in WCQ. The difference in competition between the two sets of matches IMO is that most countries put a lot more preparation into WCQ than the Gold Cup. Rather than calling up only a few star players, most CONCACAF nations will call up their best team possible for qualifying. These teams will also prepare more for qualifying, playing more friendlies and holding more camps. When WCQ does start, countries such as Guatemala, Honduras or T&T are at the absolute peak of their level of play.

In contrast, the CSA does little to prepare Canada for WCQ. Rather than playing a bunch of matches before qualifying, the CMNT is lucky just to get in the odd match beforehand. This lack of preparation shows right from the get-go, as Canada struggles to find its timing, resulting in sloppy defensive errors and easily-blown scoring opportunities. The bad officiating and rampant cheating in our region don't help at all, but even without these problems we would have struggled in past qualifying campaigns.

Unfortunately, the our nation's potential for qualifying for the next World Cup depends on how the CSA handles the team. Our backward national soccer organisation has to do a better job treating our players, and that means that it should schedule more games and more camps for our MNT.

Yes, thank you. That's what I'm talking about. Our boys fail to qualify because they are done in by the ineptitude of the CSA. As for Yallop's handling of the squad last time around, yes I agree, he was a disaster. And Mitchel will be no different.

Just looked at the SAFA site. In the article thats announces the squad to play Italy it says the upcoming games after the Italy match will be used to try out new players. So it looks like the squad maybe very different from the one that plays against Italy.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Agreed. We have much more talent today.

Toronto Ruffrider has obviously missed my and many other's scathing comments on Frank Yallop's disastrous coaching in our WCQ.

That's fair, seeing as how I am relatively new to this forum.;) All the same, I was never a huge fan of Frank Yallop as national team coach.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

I disagree. Canada won the tournament in 2000, but only put on one dominating performance (the final vs. Colombia). Important wins against T&T and Mexico came in spite of being out played.

By contrast, with the exception of the first half against the USA, Canada played even with or better than all opponents in the 2007 GC.

I agree that we were outplayed in a few matches during the 2000 Gold Cup, but we still managed to get favourable results. Next to that tournament, our WCQ matches in 2000 look like a disaster. The only wins we managed in qualifying were narrow victories over Cuba and Panama. We played alright against Mexico, but we were thrashed by T&T, losing both games by a combined 6-0 scoreline. After experiencing the emotional high of watching Canada win the Gold Cup early in 2000, it was a very humbling experience to watch our team get bounced so easily from qualifying only months later.

Hopefully I am wrong about the way teams improve heading into qualifying. At the very least, I hope the CSA can give our team the resources it needs to be properly prepared for qualifying. Even with Mitchell in charge, we should stand a good chance at making it to South Africa.

I agree that we were outplayed in a few matches during the 2000 Gold Cup, but we still managed to get favourable results. Next to that tournament, our WCQ matches in 2000 look like a disaster. The only wins we managed in qualifying were narrow victories over Cuba and Panama. We played alright against Mexico, but we were thrashed by T&T, losing both games by a combined 6-0 scoreline. After experiencing the emotional high of watching Canada win the Gold Cup early in 2000, it was a very humbling experience to watch our team get bounced so easily from qualifying only months later.

Hopefully I am wrong about the way teams improve heading into qualifying. At the very least, I hope the CSA can give our team the resources it needs to be properly prepared for qualifying. Even with Mitchell in charge, we should stand a good chance at making it to South Africa.

Well, we're better now. So, that helps.

But, WCQ is a whole different animal than the GC. For one thing, you don't play games on the road in front of hostile Latin American crowds in the GC. Also, we have to deal with the quick turn for our Euro players. At the GC they are in camp for a while before the tournament and are together for a long time. The longer they are together the longer they have to gel. The teams we are playing often aren't facing the same difficulties.

Still, we're better than all but two nations in CONCACAF right now. And, I don't think we are that far behind those two nations, based on everyone's play at the GC. We should make it. At least to the playoff.

The biggest factor is the semi-final draw. (and I've said this before) If we get through the semi-final, we are going to the World Cup. If we don't get through the semi-final, we don't deserve to go to the World Cup.

Keep in mind what our record was at home vs. away in the semi-final round in 2004.

Home 2-0 loss to Guatemala, 1-1 tie with Honduras, 3-1 loss to Costa Rica

Away 1-0 loss to Costa Rica, 1-1 tie with Honduras, 1-0 win over Guatemala

I don't think it was our play on the road in the hostile environments which was all that much of an issue last time round.....

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Keep in mind what our record was at home vs. away in the semi-final round in 2004.

Home 2-0 loss to Guatemala, 1-1 tie with Honduras, 3-1 loss to Costa Rica

Away 1-0 loss to Costa Rica, 1-1 tie with Honduras, 1-0 win over Guatemala

I don't think it was our play on the road in the hostile environments which was all that much of an issue last time round.....

No, I agree. It was our overall crappy play at home and away (and some really horrible calls that went against us early that didn't help).

God, qualifying needs to start yesterday.

All I want is for the qualifying draw to come soon. Then we can start some useful, constructive discussions. 4 years is too long when you can screw up one game and its all over. Man whats the worst about CONCACAF qualifying is that theres less room for error in the semis compared to the hex, but I have yet to figure out a better way to do it considering concacaf wants a few Mexico - USA games.

Last cycle we thought we were good to go because on paper we had so much potential to attack score and dominate a game in CONCACAF, but we had never seen it before. Now we have actually seen it, that's the difference. It isn't blind faith anymore. We are confident on the ball now. We have skill. This is a new era. And now that we've found a playing style that works, our players have several friendlies plus gold cup under their belts, and the all important DeRo/deGuzman/Hutchinson/Bernier combo have gelled into a dangerous unit, my crystal ball says we're going to kick CONCACAF's ass regardless of how pathetic or inept the CSA may be.

South Africa's Davids earns recall

JOHANNESBURG, Oct 4 (Reuters) - South Africa have recalled Swedish-based midfielder Lance Davids to their squad for a friendly international against World champions Italy in Sienna on Oct. 17.

South Africa coach Carlos Alberto Parreira has picked his strongest available squad for the match, which serves as part of the country's preparations for the hosting the 2010 World Cup finals.

Davids, from Djurgarden, replaces the injured FC Brugge midfielder Elrio van Heerden. Also out with injury is German-based striker Sibusiso Zuma.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Rowen Fernandez (Arminia Bielefeld), Calvin Marlin (Mamelodi Sundowns)

Defenders: Bradley Carnell (Karlsruhe), Brett Evans (Ajax Cape Town), Bevan Fransman (Moroka Swallows), Vuyo Mere, Benson Mhlongo (both Mamelodi Sundowns), Aaron Mokoena (Blackburn Rovers), Nasief Morris (Panathinaikos), Cyril Nzama (Kaizer Chiefs)

Midfielders: Delron Buckley (Borussia Dortmund), Lance Davids (Djurgardens), Kagisho Dikgacoi (Lamontville Golden Arrows), Teko Modise (Orlando Pirates), Siyabonga Nkosi (Arminia Bielefeld), Steven Pienaar (Everton), Macbeth Sibaya (Rubin Kazan), Bamuza Sono (Jomo Cosmos), Simphiwe Tshabalala (Kaizer Chiefs)

Strikers: Thembinkosi Fanteni (Ajax Cape Town), Benni McCarthy (Blackburn Rovers), Siyabonga Nomvete

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by dpetzz

A second string italy squad is taking the game to South africa early on in the game. Considering we assume the S.A. squad will not be as good as the one selected for this match...should let us have an idea of how Canada will do

Yeah, but that second string Italian squad is still very strong and they were playing at home, so I don't know how much of an indicator we are really getting from that friendly result.

Speaking of friendlies, a number of our rivals to make the World Cup played them in the past couple of days.

The US beat the Swiss in Switzerland 1-0 on a late goal by the coach's son. El Salvador & T&T drew 0-0 - not sure what kind of team T&T had, or if any of their previously suspended players played. There was no report out of TFC that Samuel was released for this friendly & he was one of the WC vets that was embroiled in the dispute with the T&T FA.

Costa Rica drew 1-1 with Haiti in San Jose, while Mexico lost 3-2 to Guatemala in Los Angeles with a total of four players sent off, two for each team (including everyone's favourite Carlos Ruiz). Guatemala scored the equalizer & winner while temporarily a man up.

Mexico vs Guatemala was the ugliest match I've ever seen. No jongo bonito. No futbol being played at all. Complete thuggery. Ruiz is a classless prick. He's been very unproductive for FC Dallas (this season). I hope the level of MLS play has passed him by and he'll soon be back at Municipal.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

El Salvador & T&T drew 0-0 - not sure what kind of team T&T had, or if any of their previously suspended players played. There was no report out of TFC that Samuel was released for this friendly & he was one of the WC vets that was embroiled in the dispute with the T&T FA.

Costa Rica drew 1-1 with Haiti in San Jose, while Mexico lost 3-2 to Guatemala in Los Angeles with a total of four players sent off, two for each team (including everyone's favourite Carlos Ruiz). Guatemala scored the equalizer & winner while temporarily a man up.

From what the Trini supporters are saying at BS the blacklisted players did not participate.

Also, the Mexicans used a U23 team for their friendly against the Guates (who used their senior side).

Archived