South Africa vs Canada November 20 (confirmed)

loyola

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by tomhead

How do I watch the game on Tueday 20th? Will it be on CBC? I really want to watch the game-i havnt seen South Africa play since i left there 2 years ago. Thanks,hope someone replies...

Hi Tom, and welcome (to Canada and to the Board). As you can see, we are a pretty enthusiastic and committed group of Canada supporters. As you are no doubt aware, many Canadians, including many Voyageurs, are first, second, or third generation immigrants. May I ask, have you moved here permanently? If so, you may want to consider joining us in supporting Canada on the world stage. Of course you may always have divided loyalties where South Africa are concerned, but the main thing is to support the team of your new home. Welcome aboard!

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Conditions: does that mean humid climate, heat, and rabid fans?

Plus unknown refereeing ...

They should do well, our prep since Thursday seems to be ample.

Prediction: Canada 2, South Africa 1

The commentators on FSC were talking about the altitude, which puzzled me since Durban is on the coast....until i read this:

The metropolitan area is topographically hilly, with very few flat areas, except in the immediate vicinity of the central business district and the harbour. The western suburbs off Hillcrest and Kloof are signicantly higher above sea-level, reaching up to 850m in the community of Botha's Hill. Many gorges and rivines are found within the metropolitan area. There is almost no true coastal plain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durban

edit: Hmmmm, I did some digging and it looks like most of the players on the SA roster facing us play for clubs from cities with some sort of elevation.

Golden Arrows are from Durban.

Cape Town (Ajax) has some elevation to the north reaching 1000m. Not sure where the stadium is, but the suburbs are close to the water and the city sprawls into the mountains.

Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs play in Soweto/Johannesburg which is 1700m above sea level.

Mamelodi Sundowns team is from Pretoria and also above 1000m. Bloemfontein is 1400m above sea level.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by loyola

3,2,1....before someone comes here slamming the CSA for not selling those toys/balls and uniforms to those kids!!!

I think there is a fair amount of history of this with the CSA.

Not just for the kids. I think they might have taken the entire Cuban team out for new equipment at one of the Gold Cups.

Bafana Bafana coach Carlos Alberto Parreira has clearly lost the plot when he says he is not too concerned about the dismal results and once more blames the team's - or should one say his own? - failings on the lack of development structures and feeder leagues.

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=2823&art_id=vn20071119070949662C227421

déjà vu all over again?

"Carelse joins Bafana squad"

20/11/2007 07:56 - (SA)

Johannesburg - Brent Carelse has recovered from injury and been incorporated into the Bafana Bafana squad for Tuesday's match against Canada in Durban.

Carelse missed out on the USA match at Ellis Park on Saturday after picking up a knock playing for his club Mamelodi Sundowns in last week's League clash against Kaizer Chiefs.

He had been hoping for a chance to make his senior national team debut but now gets the opportunity to become Bafana's 249th player in the last full international of the year for Carlos Alberto Parreira's squad.

Carelse is one of two uncapped players in the squad with Itumeleng Khune, the 20-year-old Kaizer Chiefs' goalkeeper, the other.

Bafana Bafana will, however, have to take the field without Lebogang Mothibantwa, who missed training because of injury although he remains with the side in the hope of a late recovery.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Soccer/0,,2-9-840_2223917,00.html

"Young Bafana to face Canada’s heavies"

Sy Lerman, Sapa Published:Nov 20, 2007

After another uninspiring and humbling defeat against the United States, Bafana Bafana coach Carlos Alberto Parreira will be taking a squad devoid of overseas-based players into tonight’s friendly international at King’s Park in Durban.

This decision is in contrast to that of the Canadians who have included 17 European-based players in their experienced squad — giving rise to the maxim for Bafana that fools tend to rush in where angels fear to tread.

Parreira, of course, made his decision before the United States game and maintains his projections are based on formalising the squad for the 2010 World Cup, in particular, as well as the African Cup of Nations, which will be staged in Ghana early in the new year.

Adding to the woes of Bafana is the fact that Brett Evans and Brent Carelse, who were kept on the bench at the weekend against the United States game because of injuries, remain doubtful starters to oppose the Canadians.

Bafana have now failed to score a goal in the last five games against overseas opponents Bolivia, Scotland, Italy, Uruguay and the United States. This is worrying for impatient local fans who are claiming “the best way to prepare for 2010 is to win as many games as possible — not to fall into a syndrome whereby Bafana seem to be going from bad to worse.”

A Safa spokesman also said a player count could result in additional players dropping out of the game against Canada.

He said: “We have yet to receive a concise report from the Bafana camp, which is already ensconced in Durban.”

Bafana Squad:

Goalkeepers:

Moeneeb Josephs, Rowen Fernandez.

Defenders:

Vuyo Mere, Bryce Moon, Bevan Fransman, Ashraf Hendricks, Benson Mhlongo, Tsepo Masilela, Brett Evans (doubtful).

Midfielders:

Brent Carelse (doubtful), Siphiwe Tshabalala, Kagiso Dikgacoi Lance Davids, Bamuza Sono, Lebogang Mothibantwa, Bernard Park, Teko Modise.

Forwards:

Lerato Chabangu, Bennet Chenene, Thembinkosi Fanteni, Norman Smith.

http://www.thetimes.co.za/Sport/Article.aspx?id=620654

Thank you very much for the response and the welcoming words! I am going to remain in Canada for the next few years but will definitely return to South Africa before the World Cup in 2010. I do however support Canada and will certainly blog on this site with you all- you are most passionate soccer addicts! Canada is the team i support after South Africa,Czech Republic and Poland,a strange lineage and one with football fanaticism firmly ingrained. I am a massive fan of all African Football. Tomorrow will be an exciting game without doubt and even though the SA team is a 2nd string team,the fringe players seem to perform better than the 1st team that is currently under construction(played against the US on 17th)

I believe the youngsters will guarantee an exciting encounter tomorrow and i have real faith in Canada's improvement.. the cynics who dont actually follow football will be humbled over the next few years-hope to see Canada at WC 2010! Cheers!

"Bafana must focus on game"

20/11/2007 10:52 - (SA)

Johannesburg - Once again Bafana Bafana will have to put off the field complications out of their minds when a locally-based combination takes on Canada in a friendly international at King's Park tonight.

Last week the Premier Soccer League's scheduling of seven matches on Wednesday resulted in Bafana coach Carlos Alberto Parreira having just one training session compared to five by the United States in Saturday's Nelson Mandela Challenge.

This week Orlando Pirates tried to withdraw midfielders Bennett Chenene and Teko Modise from the team to meet Canada.

Following the Bafana technical team's threat to go to Fifa to sanction Pirates, Chenene, whom the Buccaneers claim was injured in the weekend's friendly Moqhaka Charity Cup tournament, was due to arrive last night. For Modise the SA camp?s response was simply not to release the playmaker, who took part in Monday?s training session at King's Park.

"I don't want to complain all the time but for a big game like that [against the USA] we had one training session with a full squad the day before the game and it is not advisable to push the players that much," Parreira said on Monday of the disruptive build-up to Bafana's 1-0 defeat on Saturday.

"Chenene was supposed to report for duty 48 hours before the game [against Canada], so perhaps there was a misunderstanding with Pirates."

Eventual winners

While parties in South African football continue to pull in all directions rather than focusing on the common goal of building a competitive Bafana team for the 2010 World Cup, yesterday Parreira was looking ahead to Wednesday's game.

"We know some players and their results," he said of the 51st-ranked Canadians." They did very well in the last Concacaf Gold Cup where they won almost all their games and only lost 2-1 to [eventual winners] the USA.

"Of the squad of 17 players, 16 play in Europe, so it is not a naïve team - it is not a Canadian team but a Canadian-European team," the coach added.

Canada, steadily improving on the world stage, include Tottenham Hotspur defender Paul Staltieri and Deportivo la Coruna midfielder Julian de Guzman in their ranks.

Parreira said he expects the North Americans to be similar in style to USA.

They are physically strong and well built, so we have to use our strength which is pace, technique and skill. We cannot go for contact. If we put the ball on the ground I am absolutely certain we are going to have a good game."

The SA coach, forced to use Ricardo Katza at left-back against USA after injuries to Bradley Carnell, Brett Evans and Tshepo Masilela, will wait on fitness tests to Masilela and left-wing Siphiwe Tshabalala before finalizing his starting line-up.

Masilela took part in yesterday's full training session, while Tshabalala pulled up with a muscle strain.

The Brazilian coach's shadow line-up had Rowen Fernandez at goalkeeper, and a defence of Bryce Moon, Benson Mhlongo, Bevan Fransman and Masilela. Lance Davids, Kagisho Dikgacoi, Modise and Tshabalala were in midfield behind Lerato Chabangu and Terror Fanteni up-front.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Soccer/0,,2-9-840_2223920,00.html

quote:Originally posted by tarnado

Bafana have now failed to score a goal in the last five games against overseas opponents Bolivia, Scotland, Italy, Uruguay and the United States. This is worrying for impatient local fans

It's also worrying for me because whether it is a b-squad or not (and frankly I have no idea what their talent depth is like), South Africa is overdue for some goals.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It's also worrying for me because whether it is a b-squad or not (and frankly I have no idea what their talent depth is like), South Africa is overdue for some goals.

I agree. I get the feeling these young guys we're facing today are going to come out guns blazing looking to impress the coach.

** It looks like the game will be shown on SopCast! Here's the link to the stream:

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=2395∂=sports

You will need to install SopCast player on your PC. Once that is done, clicking on the stream link above opens the player to the correct channel.

Download the player here:

http://download.sopcast.com/download/SopCast.zip (direct link)

http://www.sopcast.com/download/ (if above does not work, go here. there also instructions on this page)

Once you save the zip file, open it and launch the setup (.exe) file and go through the download..

Archived