South Africa vs Canada November 20 (confirmed)

loyola

It looks like there is a tournament going on in South Africa.

US men's team will play South Africa in Johannesburg

September 20, 2007

CHICAGO (AP) -- The U.S. men's national team will make its first trip to South Africa for the Nelson Mandela Challenge Cup on Nov. 17.

The match will precede by eight days the qualifying draw for the 2010 World Cup, which will be staged in South Africa.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Mandela Challenge Cup, an annual event typically hosted in South Africa, began in 1994 and has seen South Africa face Brazil, Argentina, the Netherlands and Nigeria.

"It is a great honor to be invited to participate in the Nelson Mandela Challenge Cup," said U.S. coach Bob Bradley. "South Africa has always had a talented team, and the match represents an excellent opportunity for our players to travel and play in South Africa."

It will be a rare trip to Africa for the Americans, who will be playing on the continent for just the third time. Their last visit came eight years to the day before the November match, a 2-1 loss to Morocco in Marrakech. The only other trip to Africa was also against Morocco in 1992, when the U.S. fell 3-1 in Casablanca.

As the 2007 Gold Cup champions, the U.S. team will represent CONCACAF in the 2009 Confederations Cup to be held in South Africa one year before the World Cup.

On June 3, 2000, the United States beat South Africa 4-0 in their only other meeting.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Although that is not going to be an issue for the MLS, Norwegian & Swedish-based players as I believe their seasons will be over by tha time.

The likely Houston v Toronto MLS Final could really complicate things. :)

In all honesty it would suck to have to cheer against DeRo and Houston in the MLS playoffs...but its pretty vital that he gets to South Africa.

perhaps its a bit difficult to arrange in terms of two friendlies in different countries...in africa...but there has to be another national side that would like to host us for a game...if not..then a mini camp down in SA would be nice as well...same as the concacaf world...3rd world internationals...shoddy stadiums...unorganized...we better be prepared for these things as we head into qualifiers...

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

"FIFA's information does not stem solely from official information from the associations or confederations, but also from third parties (media, private individuals). FIFA can therefore not vouch for the accuracy of the data in every case (especially regarding friendly matches). However we make it our duty to constantly verify unofficial data."

The FIFA site isn't always the best source.

But FIFA will usually only put up a match when both sides' federations officially inform them of their plans to play a friendly. Meaning they never do so on press rumours, of if one side is interested, only on information directly from the two FAs involved.

Which for me makes it more reliable than a lot of other sources, since if it is there it is because both teams have officially told FIFA they want to play on that particular day with that country hosting.

If the team has enough time to train up to the match I think it should be an interesting match up.

Here are the South Africa Matches for 2007

24/3/2007 Chad 0:3 (0:2) South Africa

28/3/2007 South Africa 0:1 (0:0) Bolivia

26/5/2007 Malawi 0:0 4:5 PSO South Africa

27/5/2007 South Africa 2:0 (1:0) Mauritius

2/6/2007 South Africa 4:0 (3:0) Chad

17/6/2007 Congo 1:1 (0:0) South Africa

22/8/2007 Scotland 1:0 (0:0) South Africa

09/9/2007 South Africa 1:3 (0:3) Zambia

12/9/2007 South Africa 0:0 Uruguay

Nothing to special there. They have played South American teams and Scotland this year. So hopefully Canada can get a result here.

I have it in mind that South Africa is really struggling, but they out-played Scotland for the majority of that 1-0 loss. That was on the road the Scots are in good form. Playing them away will be a very good test.

It's also an interesting change of pace from our normal friendlies and I think is better prep for CONCACAF than a lot of European opposition might be as far as style and tactics.

I'm excited for this one.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

This is where Sportsnet has to step in. You can't brag about being the official network of the Canadian national team when you only sporadically broadcast national team games.

I think Sportsnet has rights to broadcast games that are played in Canada only, not outside. Since soccer games involving Canada generally do not attract high ratings, there is no justification for them to spend extra wads of cash to broadcast those games.

Anyway, when all is said and done, Canada still won't qualify for 2010. Nor possibly 2014.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Um, why won't we qualify? Because all the teams we were much better than in Gold Cup will suddenly morph into merciless scoring machines and our star players will drop off the map or did I miss a memo?

Yep, some people have these special crystal balls that could tell

what's going to happen in 2010 or 2014 or 2018. Maybe these people

have the balls to tell that to Julian De Guzman, Paul Stalteri,

or Atiba Hutchinson, that all their efforts for the country are a

waste of time.

Yep, everyone's entitled to their own opinion ... :(

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Um, why won't we qualify? Because all the teams we were much better than in Gold Cup will suddenly morph into merciless scoring machines and our star players will drop off the map or did I miss a memo?

I've noticed this phenomenon before. In 2000, Canada performed unbelievably well at the Gold Cup, only to struggle against below average competition in WCQ. The difference in competition between the two sets of matches IMO is that most countries put a lot more preparation into WCQ than the Gold Cup. Rather than calling up only a few star players, most CONCACAF nations will call up their best team possible for qualifying. These teams will also prepare more for qualifying, playing more friendlies and holding more camps. When WCQ does start, countries such as Guatemala, Honduras or T&T are at the absolute peak of their level of play.

In contrast, the CSA does little to prepare Canada for WCQ. Rather than playing a bunch of matches before qualifying, the CMNT is lucky just to get in the odd match beforehand. This lack of preparation shows right from the get-go, as Canada struggles to find its timing, resulting in sloppy defensive errors and easily-blown scoring opportunities. The bad officiating and rampant cheating in our region don't help at all, but even without these problems we would have struggled in past qualifying campaigns.

Unfortunately, the our nation's potential for qualifying for the next World Cup depends on how the CSA handles the team. Our backward national soccer organisation has to do a better job treating our players, and that means that it should schedule more games and more camps for our MNT.

Archived