Guest Ed

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2577

Men's National Team

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Hart Announces 17-Player Roster for Hungary Friendly

OTTAWA, ONTARIO – Canada’s men’s national team interim head coach Stephen Hart announced his 17-player roster for the upcoming international friendly match-up against Hungary. The game will take place on November 15th at 8:00 pm local time (2:00 am ET) in Székesfehérvár (just outside of Budapest), Hungary.

Canada’s last match up against Hungary dates back 20 years when both teams met in the 1986 World Cup in Mexico. Hungary won that game 2:0 played in Iraputo, Mexico.

Hungary (ranked 76th) has lost their last two international matches; one to Malta (1:2) and the other against Turkey (0:1), both in UEFA EURO 2008 Preliminary Competition.

Canada (ranked 71st) on the other hand has performed well in 2006 with an impressive 2:1:1 record with wins against Jamaica and Austria.

MLS (Major League Soccer) player of the year nominee and Houston Dynamo Dwayne de Rosario will be back on the pitch for Canada. De Rosario, who will be playing days before in the MLS Cup final at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas on November 12th, will be take part in his first game for Canada since March 1st 2006 when Canada defeated Austria 2:0.

Another noticeable is Fulham midfielder and Canadian soccer veteran Tomasz Radzinski. Radzinski has been at the fore front of Canada’s successes of late and will be seeking his 32nd cap for the National team. Radzinski was the lone Canadian goalscorer in the second of two friendlies against Jamaica on October 8th, 2006 in Kingston, Jamaica.

Hart may once again call on Greg Sutton of the USL First Division Montréal Impact to act as the guardian between the posts for the Canucks. Sutton will be looking for another shut-out performance. He has collected two in 2006; a 0:0 draw with the United States in January and a 1:0 win against Jamaica on September 4th.

In addition, head coach Stephen Hart decided to bring in a new face to the roster. Calgary native Issey Nakajima-Farran, will be seeking his first cap for the senior team. Nakajima-Farran is currently playing for Vejle Boldklub in the Danish first division.

“Everyone is very enthusiastic about this game,” said Hart. “We have been bitten by the injury bug, however, the intention of these games is to continue to provide an opportunity for players who want to play for Canada, to come into the squad and showcase themselves.”

The team will travel to Budapest, Hungary on November 12th to participate in a series of training sessions prior to the match.

Canadian Roster

# - Player - Pos. - DOB - Caps - G/S - Club - Hometown

1 - Sutton, Greg - GK - 4/19/1977 - 8 - 4 - Montreal Impact - Montreal, QC

22 - Wagenaar, Joshua - GK - 2/26/1985 - 0 - 0 - ADO Den Haag - Grimsby, ON

2 - Braz, Adam - D - 06/07/1981 - 9 - 0 - Montreal Impact - St. Laurent, QC

3 - Jazic, Ante - D - 2/26/1976 - 15 - 0 - L.A. Galaxy - Halifax, NS

4 - McKenna, Kevin - D - 1/21/1980 - 35 - 9 - Energie Cottbus - Calgary, AB

5 - Hainault, Andrew - D - 6/17/1986 - 0 - 0 - FK Siad Most - Hudson, QC

6 - de Guzman, Julian - M - 3/25/1981 - 17 - 0 - Deportivo La Coruna - Scarborough, ON

7 - Hume, Iain - M/F - 10/30/1983 - 15 - 1 - Leicester City - Brampton, ON

8 - Bernier, Patrice - M - 9/23/1979 - 18 - 0 - Tromso - Brossard, QC

9 - Radzinski, Tomasz - M/F - 12/14/1973 - 31 - 8 - Fulham - Toronto, ON

10 - Friend, Rob - F - 1/23/1981 - 8 - 1 - Heerenveen - Kelowna, BC

11 - Pozniak, Chris - D/M - 01/10/1981 - 16 - 0 - Haugesund FK - Aurora, ON

12 - Serioux, Adrian - D/M - 05/12/1979 - 9 - 0 - Houston Dynamo - Scarborough, ON

13 - Hutchinson, Atiba - D/M - 02/08/1983 - 21 - 2 - FC Copenhagen - Brampton, ON

14 - De Rosario, Dwayne - M/F - 5/15/1978 - 37 - 7 - Houston Dynamo - Scarborough, ON

15 - Nakajima-Farran, Issey - M - 5/16/1984 - 0 - 0 - Vejle Boldklub - Calgary, AB

16 - Nsaliwa, Tam - M/F - 1/28/1982 - 10 - 0 - Palonius - Edmonton, AB

After a couple of rosters which had very few choices at the back, it is nice to see one with so many options in defence. I don't know where the players will line up under Hart, but players in this group who play or have played central D for club or country include: Braz, Jazic, McKenna, Hainault, Pozniak, Serioux, Hutchinson, Nsaliwa.

Has Nsaliwa ever played at RB? A potential backline of Jazic, McKenna, Hainault and Nsaliwa might not he half bad.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Something's gotta be up with Hirschfeld. I don't completely buy Wildboy's theory that the coaches have blacklisted him, but I would like to know what is going on.

I would have to say he is STILL blacklisted. It is one thing to turn down invitations. It is another to not be contacted (and that is what I have heard second or third hand mind you).

I was expecting Lars to be back and Tam not to get called so am surprised to see it the other way around. Hopefully when we get a permanent coach, Lars will come back. Good to see Wagenaar called instead of Stama. Pretty happy with the lineup other than Lars absence. Wonder if DeRo and Serioux are going to be in any kind of game shape or still jetlagged.

Looks like a good roster. I am very disappointed that Hirschfeld is not there. I hope that Neil Davidson can get to the bottom of it, of that somebody who knows Lars will ask him personally. Also, I think that Hastings should have been included as he is a regular in the SPL. Again, this is a question for Davidson to pose.

It's great to see Nsaliwa back, and Nakajima-Farran is a nice surprise. I sent two or three messages to Stephen Hart encouraging him and Atiba Hutchinson, who played against Issey recently, to chat about Issey. Maybe, just maybe, I had a little influence. Who knows? As well, Hainault gets a look!

It is very appropriate for Hart to call a few new, young guys given that Hungary is doing the same. Should be a good match!

Cheers!

PS Brace yourself, and IGNORE the forthcoming Wildboy rant - predictable !

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

Looks like a good roster. I am very disappointed that Hirschfeld is not there. I hope that Neil Davidson can get to the bottom of it, of that somebody who knows Lars will ask him personally. Also, I think that Hastings should have been included as he is a regular in the SPL. Again, this is a question for Davidson to pose.

It's great to see Nsaliwa back, and Nakajima-Farran is a nice surprise. I sent two or three messages to Stephen Hart encouraging him and Atiba Hutchinson, who played against Issey recently, to chat about Issey. Maybe, just maybe, I had a little influence. Who knows? As well, Hainault gets a look!

It is very appropriate for Hart to call a few new, young guys given that Hungary is doing the same. Should be a good match!

Cheers!

PS Brace yourself, and IGNORE the forthcoming Wildboy rant - predictable !

Agreed completely.

I would love to see Wagenaar get the start. Sutton has been off-season for a couple of months. Let's see what the kid can do.

Not a bad line-up considering all of the injured or not-in-form Euro-based players we currently have, and nice to see some new faces getting a look and some old ones who are performing regularly.

Obviouslyl the Hirshfeld story is one that needs to be told - officially that is.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Agreed completely.

I would love to see Wagenaar get the start. Sutton has been off-season for a couple of months. Let's see what the kid can do.

Or at least give them each a half. Is there anything wrong with doing this in a friendly?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Early starting line-up preference:

Friend

De Rosario Radzinski

Serioux De Guzman Bernier

Pozniak McKenna Hainault Nsaliwa

Wagenaar

Is there no place for Hutch?

Otherwise, I like it. Jazic v Pozniak for me is a toss-up. Second half insertions of Hume and Issey would be a must. Really, there is no reason why all the subs, except perhaps the keeper one, shouldn't be used.

No Reda or Gervais means a probable new combination in central D (unless we see Hutch back there).

What I expect:

------------Sutton

Nsaliwa---McK-Hain---Jazic

---------JDG---Hutch------

Radz-------Dero------Bernier

-----------Friend------------

So dam.ned pleased to see Nsaliwa on the roster, and sort of expect him to play in the middle with McKenna. That gives us some pace and two air-strong lads in the middle.

Yes, I'd like to know what is going on with Lars. Though a few here suggest that he has been blacklisted--(but why?)--I keep getting this niggling feeling that Lars feels he's too damned important to play for us. What I want to hear, to be honest, is that he has rebuffed the national team in the past simply because he's wanted to get his career stablized--good reason, in my mind--and now that things in that area have improved, he his open to invitations and would LOVE to play for his country again.

Come on, Neil, dig up the truth. Hart's makes reference to this roster being made up of guys interested in playing for Canada, which sort of hints at some of the issues we are facing with some of our guys.

This side has some pace and skill and pluck. We should give the Hungarians a good run.

Wow. The new blood, coupled with the Pipe news and the fact LMS seems to think the match will be on tv, makes me look forward to taking the day off on the 15th!

Daniel's line-up looks to be the best option, but I would like to see Issey have a go for a half.

The money is another issue, but there are a lot of established international managers who have a lot less talent to work with. At some point (especially if you think about the possibility of JDG2 coming on board) someone with serious credentials must have a hard look at taking over this squad.

Frank Stonach should get off his Austrian arse and take the COO position for free. He's already screwing the Magna shareholders on a regular basis with his compensation, why not donate a couple mil per year to the CSA so we can qualify for 2010? (Either from himself or magna, i don't care)

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Frank Stonach should get off his Austrian arse and take the COO position for free. He's already screwing the Magna shareholders on a regular basis with his compensation, why not donate a couple mil per year to the CSA so we can qualify for 2010? (Either from himself or magna, i don't care)

I agree this guy should spend his earned in Canada money on Canadian and not Austrian soccer. However, as far as him being COO, ask Austrian fans (where he has been president of their league for several years) whether he would be a good choice. Also he has done his best Harold Ballard immitation with his club Austria Vienna, firing several coaches a year among other things and despite being the richest club they are currently in 8th place in the 10 team league. Stronach should give us his money not his expertise.

Great to see Tam back, we're just a couple guys away from my ideal starting lineup of:

----------Lars-----

------Tam----Kev--

Stalteri--------Klukowski

--------Attiba------

---------DeGuz-----

Peeters---Hume---Simpson

--------Friend-----

And Lars is the only one unaccounted for.

Archived