1994 vs 2024 - Matches, expectations, memories

The matches against Netherlands, France, Argentina, Peru and Chile will be Canada's highest profile set of five matches since the friendlies ahead of the 1994 World Cup. The results of those matches were:

June 1 - Canada 1 Morocco 1
June 5 - Canada 1 Brazil 1
June 8 - Canada 0 Germany 2
June 10 - Canada 0 Spain 2
June 12 - Canada 0 Netherlands 3

(As an aside, it's crazy that Canada played five matches in 12 days, with three of the matches in five days.)

Ahead of the 1994 matches, there was talk that one win and one draw would be the best Canada could hope for. How it turned out - two draws - wasn't too bad, especially with one of the draws being against Brazil.

What would represent success for Canada in the upcoming five matches in 2024? One win and one draw, same as we hoped for in 1994? (If we get those results in the last two matches, that might be good enough to get out of our group in Copa America.) Can we aim higher than that? Or should our expectations be lower?

I attended the 1994 match against Spain at Claude-Robillard in Montreal. Don't remember too much of the match itself, other than Spain having almost all of the possession, with Canada having maybe one decent chance at a goal. What I do remember is dozens of Montreal police dressed in full-blown riot gear after the match, when there was not a hint of trouble among the two sets of fans.

There must be plenty of people here who attended the 1994 matches. Let's hear your memories of those matches.

I attended Canada-Germany and Canada-Netherlands matches in Toronto. Only time I ever sat directly behind the goal (in the south stands) for a match at Varsity Stadium (whether for Canada or Metros/Blizzard - or even the Lynx I suppose) in twenty-odd years of attending matches at Varsity - was at the Dutch match. I remember a massive Dutch flag being unfurled on the wast side stands with lot of Dutch supporters, many of which I believe were travelling with the team to the US. I also remember our team being totally spent at that point, not helped by our two best strikers at the time (Bunbury & Pesch) being injured and missing all five players.

As for the Germany match, what I remember most of all was the disappointment that we got shut out after we had scored against the previous two teams we faced. My seats were on the west side, just by the goal line. I attended the match alone because I think it was on a Wednesday afternoon and the rest of my family couldn't go (I was off work that day, from whatever summer job I had at the time). As such, I didn't quite have the courage to stand up, turn around and tell off the two meatheads behind me who were shitting on Canada the whole game, repeatedly saying stuff like "I can't believe they tied Brazil".  They weren't even German supporters - they just Canadians who hated Canada. You used to get a lot of those kinds of soccer "fans" back in the day, thankfully not so much now...

From a soccer point of view, I predicted at that time that the Dutch would have a better World Cup than the Germans did...which I suppose I was correct about in terms of expectations as both teams went out in the Q-F. But the Netherlands lost 3-2 to the eventual champions in Brazil and Germany got upset by Bulgaria, and I also think they got lucky in the first round - they should have lost to Spain, they played poorly against the Koreans and they had an incredibly poor piece of officiating go in their favour against Belgium, a match they won 3-2 but Belgium should have had a P-K and the Germans sent down to 10 men. The Dutch looked very fast and energetic against us, the Germans looked slow and ponderous, and Mattheus was acting on the pitch like his shit didn't stink, even though I could smell him from where I was sitting. I think I celebrated Bulgaria's victory over Germany in that World Cup more than I did any of Italy's wins en route to the final.

It’s good that they are able to play against some very high profile competition. It will put them back in mainstream media in terms of general sports fan’s awareness. If they could try and do at the very least 2 to three of these type of friendlies like the Netherlands and France  a year it would be helpful. Playing only countries from our region is getting very tiresome and does nothing to attract more than the casuals in terms of interest to the games . As we saw for that Canada Jamaica game in the Nations league at BMO which even served as a crucial Copa America win and your in qualifying game , BMO Field was barely half full . We want more interest in this national team then we have to play more top 10 teams more often.

37 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

These 5 games will do wonders for the program going forward.  Added exposure, increase the level of play for the team/players and hopefully attract future duals.  Maybe add some new sponsors to the mix as well.

Who are the duals we are trying to attract that could come into the squad today?

50 minutes ago, Shway said:

Who are the duals we are trying to attract that could come into the squad today?

Off the top of my head, only Koleosho. And he is still out with injury.

Maybe Jebbison too and his career is basically in limbo. 

I don't think Sigur's level is high enough to make him a surefire call-up.

Of course someone else will chime in with a player I forgot... :)

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I feel like he’s talking about a 16 year old kid somewhere who will watch these games and pick Canada in 3 years versus where his parents are from. 

The Brazil match received a fair bit of media attention especially after we got the result against the eventual champions, not many expected that! I attended both matches at Varsity, I met up with some German fans we had met the previous year at the first ever indoor match played on grass in Pontiac Michigan! The match vs the Dutch was a big ask for me to attend falling on my wife's birthday, it wouldn't be the only birthday she celebrated without me, Honduras in 2012 comes to mind!😀 As I remember we gave a decent showing in both matches, the Dutch came flying out of the blocks and it looked like it would be really ugly  but we settled, we held Germany to the one goal until late before conceding a second!

https://canadasoccer.com/national/matches/national-team-match-past/?matchId=394

https://canadasoccer.com/national/matches/national-team-match-past/?matchId=392

8 hours ago, narduch said:

Off the top of my head, only Koleosho. And he is still out with injury.

Maybe Jebbison too and his career is basically in limbo. 

I don't think Sigur's level is high enough to make him a surefire call-up.

Of course someone else will chime in with a player I forgot... :)

Alghamdi too, but it would seem he's already made his mind up

This really is an incredible stretch of quality matches for us, with Euro leagues being finished I would think if a fence sitter ever wants to get involved this would be the time! They potentially could put themselves in the bright lights quickly, there will be massive media coverage for all of these matches, maybe more so that the 3 WC games?

On 4/17/2024 at 1:21 PM, gator said:

The Brazil match received a fair bit of media attention especially after we got the result against the eventual champions, not many expected that! I attended both matches at Varsity, I met up with some German fans we had met the previous year at the first ever indoor match played on grass in Pontiac Michigan! The match vs the Dutch was a big ask for me to attend falling on my wife's birthday, it wouldn't be the only birthday she celebrated without me, Honduras in 2012 comes to mind!😀 As I remember we gave a decent showing in both matches, the Dutch came flying out of the blocks and it looked like it would be really ugly  but we settled, we held Germany to the one goal until late before conceding a second!

https://canadasoccer.com/national/matches/national-team-match-past/?matchId=394

https://canadasoccer.com/national/matches/national-team-match-past/?matchId=392

I was at both of those matches at varsity also.