Canada vs Australia - Tuesday, December 5th - 7pm Pacific / 10pm Eastern - Vancouver

Canada vs Australia
A two match series: Friendly Match #2
Tuesday, December 5, 2023
7pm Pacific
(local) / 10pm Eastern
Christine Sinclair Place Stadium
(B.C. Place was renamed for the occasion), Vancouver

Tickets:
The Voyageurs section is sold out but there are some tickets for the section left in the Ticket Exchange forum.
The rest of the stadium has limited tickets in the lower bowl and plenty left in the upper bowl.
https://www.ticketmaster.ca/event/11005F54BFCF3C6C

Broadcast in Canada:
ONESOCCER/fuboTV
TSN 1/3/4/5
RDS 2

Broadcast in Australia:
Network 10 and Paramount+

Broadcast in the USA:
FOX Sports 2

Canada's roster:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canwnt-roster-unveiled-ahead-of-australia-friendlies/
Since the roster was released, Smith may not play due to a concussion but has not been ruled out.
Viens was replaced by Latifah Abdu
Grosso was replaced by Schmidt
https://twitter.com/CANWNT/status/1729222038240338117
https://twitter.com/CANWNT/status/1729246308089967093

Canadian players who played a full match in the previous friendly:
Awujo
Buchanan
Collins
Gilles
Sheridan (GK)

Canadian players that didn't play a single minute in the previous friendly:
Carle
Hernandez-Gray
Quinn
Riviere
Smith (was not listed in the roster)
D'Angelo (GK)
Proulx (GK) 

Australia's roster:
https://www.matildas.com.au/news/gustavsson-names-23-player-commbank-matildas-squad-close-out-2023-international-season
Since the roster was released, 4 players are out:
Mackenzie Arnold, Charlotte Grant, Sam Kerr and Holly McNamara
and 4 players have been added:
Alex Chidiac, Sarah Hunter, Remy Siemsen and Jada Whyman
https://www.matildas.com.au/news/match-preview-canada-v-commbank-matildas-2-december-aedt
Since the first match, Katrina Gorry has picked up an illness and another unnamed player is being monitored

Weather:
Rain but it doesn't matter since the dome will be closed?

Someone please tell me the anthem singer didn't say "We see the lies" rather than "we see thee rise"  I listen to everything with headphones and it sure sounded like that.  God help us if it was, then it would be a Canadian tenor moment.  Sure hope I'm wrong but I'd like to hear it again.

11 minutes ago, Califax said:

I think she said light by accident

That sounds more like what could have happened.  Funny you noticed it as well, I was paying half attention with the headphones on

Another thing I hope I'm wrong on, I'm not getting great vibes so far in this game

Boy, the second I said that Canada picked it up

Canada 1 Australia 0

Quinn scores at 40'

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

not sure this is the right time for the departure of sinclair...she still has so much quality and can do the running unlike the hutchinson situation for example...she played a part in almost everything that was positive offensively in the first half including the goal...should be at the 2024 olympics...congrats on the amazing career!!

8 minutes ago, Big_M said:

not sure this is the right time for the departure of sinclair...she still has so much quality and can do the running unlike the hutchinson situation for example...she played a part in almost everything that was positive offensively in the first half including the goal...should be at the 2024 olympics...congrats on the amazing career!!

Hard disagree. Her running is noticeably behind the rest of her team, more than Hutchinson at his worst. The difference is she plays in a position on the field where it doesn't matter as much, but there are still attacks dying on the vine because she lacks quickness. Moot point and not worth discussing, really, as this is the end, but let's be real.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

Hard disagree. Her running is noticeably behind the rest of her team, more than Hutchinson at his worst. The difference is she plays in a position on the field where it doesn't matter as much, but there are still attacks dying on the vine because she lacks quickness. Moot point and not worth discussing, really, as this is the end, but let's be real.

Agree, there was a point a few years ago before she set the record that it looked like her play not just slowed but fell off a cliff.  It was so off I was worried she wouldn't break the record.  Thankfully, she righted the ship but I don't think that will happen again.

When it was announced that these final two games would be against Australia, I'll be honest, I was scared that Sinclair's farewell tour was going to end with the team getting caved in. But the gals got her the big win (two wins, in fact, though slicing and dicing Australia's B-team wasn't exactly the biggest challenge).

Sinclair had some nice moments on the field today, we got the W, and she rides off into the history books with a number of stats not likely to be met by another Canadian footballer for a long, long time. 

Some nice young talent on this team, and if Bev can get them playing a bit tidied, a bit more cohesively, then they could become quite good. Love Lacasse. Real footballer. Reminds me of Lilley from the US, who was a fantastic footballer. I felt that Beckie and Quinn were at cross purposes for much of the game, TBH. Individually they had decent games, but I am not yet convinced they've got the partnership and understanding we need in the midfield.  Excited to see how this team evolves. 

7 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Sinclair had some nice moments on the field today, we got the W, and she rides off into the history books with a number of stats not likely to be met by another Canadian footballer for a long, long time. 

Some nice young talent on this team, and if Bev can get them playing a bit tidied, a bit more cohesively, then they could become quite good. Love Lacasse. Real footballer. Reminds me of Lilley from the US, who was a fantastic footballer. I felt that Beckie and Quinn were at cross purposes for much of the game, TBH. Individually they had decent games, but I am not yet convinced they've got the partnership and understanding we need in the midfield.  Excited to see how this team evolves. 

I think you mean Fleming and Quinn. I don't think Beckie has rejoined the squad since tearing her ACL. 

But I agree, I posted that earlier. Fleming was clearly frustrated (trying not to show it) with a bunch of Quinn's decisions. They were definitely not on the same page. Fleming likes to push forward a lot and she wasn't getting those balls to work with. 

But Quinn also read the rebound perfectly, which ended up in the goal, and gave Sinclair a win in her last game.. so it was magical. 

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Her incredible positioning tricks a lot of people. But her foot speed and lack of press compared to a few years ago is evident. 

However, it wouldn't shock me if, with a lighter schedule, she has a fantastic club season next year. 

46 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Buchanan might have a concussion. She was the only Canadian not smiling during the post game. She looks like she is in a daze. 🥴 

Yah she looked in rough shape going off the field before the rest of the celebrating group. Hope she's okay.