U Sports on CBC Gem

7 minutes ago, narduch said:

Wasn't the original question whether more people are watching Usport soccer on CBC Gem v CPL on One Soccer?

If I misread I apologize 

I can't get the multi-quote mechanics to work properly but I was starting where Bearcat asked if anyone actually watches CBC Gem and Grasshopper replied that it was probably a hundred times more than the number who watch OneSoccer.

Anyway, back to soccer talk.

11 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I can't get the multi-quote mechanics to work properly but I was starting where Bearcat asked if anyone actually watches CBC Gem and Grasshopper replied that it was probably a hundred times more than the number who watch OneSoccer.

It was actually CPL on One Soccer v cross country running on CBC Gem.

So yes I stand by my statement. 

19 hours ago, Kingston said:

I don't think anyone here can provide definitive truth and numbers on the question.  I know my answers were meant as a joke but in actuality I am a booster of all leagues Canadian and I did watch CPL games on GEM frequently when I could remember.  I really haven't seen anything other than CPL clips since.  A big part of the reason, obviously is availability.  I had/have a setup that made them easily accessible on GEM and as a hard core cord cutter I will not pay for TV services.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

The ironic thing is, nowadays, it's cheaper to not cut the cord

I think the secret sauce for traditional TV networks is to not commit to these large expensive properties that have been gobelled up by streaming services anyways. Get back to more regional, domestic content and help grow it. And cut out the nonsense. Be entertaining. Give Canadians a chance. Buy low on Canadian content 

15 hours ago, Kingston said:

CBC Gem has had 5 million app downloads, apparently. It isn't quite up there with Netflix in a Canadian context, but it's not too far off in terms of market penetration. Think it's safe to assume that you can knock two zeros off for Onesoccer in terms of the relative ongoing subscriber bases. That means even when you have something extremely niche like a cross country running national championship on the channel with 100 times more subscribers it might wind up with a comparable audience to what the Onesoccer app is drawing for CanPL games.

When CanPL was on CBC ratings were 50,000 or so. I'm confident cross country running on CBC Gem would get nowhere near that, but if we are only talking about CanPL's audience through the Onesoccer app it's a different story on likely relative audience numbers. The info we are missing is how many people watch CanPL games through Fubo TV and the Telus speciality cable channel and whether that gets close to what they had with the CBC during the first two seasons. I suspect we would be hearing about it if things were going that well.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

13 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

CBC Gem has had 5 million app downloads, apparently. It isn't quite up there with Netflix in a Canadian context, but it's not too far off in terms of market penetration. Think it's safe to assume that you can knock two zeros off for Onesoccer in terms of the relative ongoing subscriber bases. That means even when you have something extremely niche like a cross country running national championship on the channel with 100 times more subscribers it might wind up with a comparable audience to what the Onesoccer app is drawing for CanPL games.

When CanPL was on CBC ratings were 50,000 or so. I'm confident cross country running on CBC Gem would get nowhere near that, but if we are only talking about CanPL's audience through the Onesoccer app it's a different story on likely relative audience numbers. The info we are missing is how many people watch CanPL games through Fubo TV and the Telus speciality cable channel and whether that gets close to what they had with the CBC during the first two seasons. I suspect we would be hearing about it if things were going that well.

CBC Gem's market penetration is way off Netflix. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, at the end of 2020, Canada Media Fund survey found Gem was watched by 9% of Canadian internet users which ranked it 7th. Netflix led with 68%. 

The other tell is that no tv/movie has broken through because it was available on CBC Gem. Schitt's Creek & Kim's Convenience gained popularity when it became available on Netflix rather than being on CBC TV or Gem.

Globe's screen critic's has called Gem the best streaming service that no one is talking about. Globe's theatre critic fears that since Gem hasn't caught on and, if its free version continues to have ads, it will get lost further in the onslaught of ad-supported streaming services. 

Canadian programming has become popular on the biggest platforms.  Here's an example

The Buttpod Season 2 Episode 14 Tom Bergeron

Episode Description
After a ridiculously long hiatus, here's a fun and funny way to kick off the 2nd Season of The Buttpod! Brent sits down with TV legend TOM BERGERON to talk old showbiz, new showbiz, no showbiz, and the joys of bombing at The Emmys!

Bergeron talks watching Corner Gas, Kim's Convenience and Murdoch Mysteries on Amazon.  Good interview BTW, Bergeron sounds like a real nice guy.

Never heard of CBC gem before. Happy U sports is getting broadcasted somewhere.

For what it's worth, my opinion of the idea that CPL is inaccessable is that it's a lame perspective. I have a friend who is a soccer fan, but has dipped his toe into Canadian soccer since qualifying. He doesn't have One Soccer (and I don't think he intendes to), but he clearly knew CPL was on Fubo because he fired up the live stream to see the "replay" while we were at Spruce Meadows, which I thought was pretty funny. 

Point is that people will find ways to watch if they are motivated and if you doubt that just look in the mirror. We all take interest and so we find a way. This is 2023 and access to things people want is not an issue.

My perspective is that major providers give the appearance of importance to what they show, but CBC gem (I assume) is not the main channel where the important broadcasts go.

Would it be cool if CBC or CTV or TSN or whomever showed a CPL game every now and then? For sure. Would it be a game changer? I don't think so. TSN has shown MLS games for years now and it's been great for us hardcores, but I don't really know many (any?) people who got hooked on MLS because TSN started showing games regularly.

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Never heard of CBC gem before. Happy U sports is getting broadcasted somewhere.

USports/CIS has been broadcast/streamed for over 15 years.  The Streaming Sports Network, based here in Ottawa, had four years of Championship titles (soccer being part of it/Canadian Football wasn't) beginning around 2008.  The contract then went to another company (I believe in the USA).

I was fortunate to have called the 2008-2011 soccer Championships (two Men with York dominating and two Women where Queen's were a great team) for them.  Then did the 2018 Ottawa Gee-Gees win on USportsTV.

Fun times!

Edited by gwsmith63

On 11/15/2023 at 7:54 AM, Obinna said:

Point is that people will find ways to watch if they are motivated and if you doubt that just look in the mirror. We all take interest and so we find a way. This is 2023 and access to things people want is not an issue.

That's why I asked about how many viewers watched the championship game this year via One Soccer alone or on Fubo.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Kent said:

I didn't really read this thread, it seems it's more about Gem/OneSoccer than about USports

Well, the USports Vanier Cup is on today.  We'll see if another Montreal team will take a cup.  GEM is great.  If I had to point out one thing CBC does well, it has been their venture into streaming.