U Sports on CBC Gem

5 minutes ago, red card said:

Beyond Olympics, sports is an insignificant part of CBC's mandate. There are basically no sports shown on linear French CBC tv. Aside from Olympics, sports isn't mentioned in their annual report. Olympic rights of $60-100 million per Olympics likely accounts for 99% of CBC's sports rights budget.

CBC also went out of the business of paying to show pro sports around 2014.

I was going to post something similar but you beat me to it.

That won't be changing and the sports component might become much less in the future should funding be significantly decreased.

Sadly, that might not be far off, but it's kind of why whether CanPL would receive more exposure elsewhere is the talking point in this thread. When they have had to put a game on Onesoccer's youtube account, 500 or so has tended to be the number streaming it and that's when it's not stuck behind a paywall. Suspect you could probably find enough friends and family to reach a similar number for a cross country running race that's a national final depending on how large the field is.

Would be interesting to find out whether getting onto Fubo TV boosted the number of eyeballs per game in a big way. Suspect if it had we would already be hearing about it though and in a similar sort of way the numbers watching the recent final online would have been talked up if it was something good they wanted to crow about rather than something best kept under wraps.

Suspect there are no easy answers on this because as much as CanPL wants to market itself as Canada's top league, most people are not going to see it that way when there are three Canadian teams in MLS and no current CanPL players are getting anywhere near a CMNT callup. The market is mainly going to be diehard fans watching their club's away games and that doesn't need an eight camera broadcast from Mediapro to cater to.

19 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Only useful idiots try and defend a state and movement that specify genocide in their doctrine, gleefully record their barbarism on innocent civilians who are specifically targeted. 

Isff9UV.png

Think I've missed part of this conversation. Best summary of that conflict I have seen is this:

Now back to soccer hopefully.

23 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Only useful idiots try and defend a state and movement that specify genocide in their doctrine, gleefully record their barbarism on innocent civilians who are specifically targeted. 

Isff9UV.png

Useless idiot is a good way to describe your posting history on this forum.

Good job posting literal propaganda on our forum too.

Can't believe I was stupid enough to give you a second chance and unblock you, even though your actions in the past have proven you should be banned like Robert. I won't make that mistake again.

Have a nice life.

It's unfortunate I have to torch you in every "debate" we have because of your lying (remember the BMO thread).  I didn't want to make the comment I made originally but you started the anti-Israel propaganda in another thread.  I wanted to say something then and didn't, so I notified the mods.  Nothing was done...so if you want something done you gotta do it yourself.

I have seen this forum in the past talk about invisible forces that could bring it down, well if your original statement was allowed to stand I don't know what else could bring the forum down.

15 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

That won't be changing and the sports component might become much less in the future should funding be significantly decreased.

Actually, if the CBC had to earn its bread, I could see it increasing its sports coverage.  Sports are cheaper to produce that original programming and it's probably easier to attract advertisers for the sports market than it is for a lot of the stuff they produce.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Ok. Now you are just being a trolling dickhead.

Basically a set up man for more trolling by Ozzie

Do you actually think OneSoccer has more paid subscribers than the number of people who use our national broadcaster's free streaming service?  He's not trolling - just making reasonable estimates of the number of people who enjoy at least some CBC programming versus the number of people who are hardcore enough CPL fans to pay money for streaming.

6 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I do.

And as I said, I occasionaly watch some specific programming

1 minute ago, Kingston said:

Actually, if the CBC had to earn its bread, I could see it increasing its sports coverage.  Sports are cheaper to produce that original programming and it's probably easier to attract advertisers for the sports market than it is for a lot of the stuff they produce.

Don't you think they would have stayed with other pro sports content if that was the case?

3 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Do you actually think OneSoccer has more paid subscribers than the number of people who use our national broadcaster's free streaming service?  He's not trolling - just making reasonable estimates of the number of people who enjoy at least some CBC programming versus the number of people who are hardcore enough CPL fans to pay money for streaming.

Wasn't the original question whether more people are watching Usport soccer on CBC Gem v CPL on One Soccer?

If I misread I apologize 

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

It's unfortunate I have to torch you in every "debate" we have because of your lying (remember the BMO thread).  I didn't want to make the comment I made originally but you started the anti-Israel propaganda in another thread.  I wanted to say something then and didn't, so I notified the mods.  Nothing was done...so if you want something done you gotta do it yourself.

I have seen this forum in the past talk about invisible forces that could bring it down, well if your original statement was allowed to stand I don't know what else could bring the forum down.

How did you torch him on the BMO thread I’m curious?

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Don't you think they would have stayed with other pro sports content if that was the case?

I think they got outbid on some of the more popular sports because their mandate isn't profit driven nor is it to specifically provide sports coverage.  I think a for-profit CBC would have tried much harder to keep the NHL and CFL games, for example. It's not an exactly correlated example, but no way would any private company have let the branding gold of the original Hockey Night in Canada theme song get away over a few hundred thousand dollars.  

10 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

How did you torch him on the BMO thread I’m curious?

He kept hurling insults at me because I was not in favour of the Argos moving to BMO Field.

I quit the Voyageurs for a number of years afterwards because I was tired that the mods would do nothing about it. My user name used to be Massive Attack  

I came back when the CPL kicked off as I started to feel positive about Canadian soccer again. For some reason I couldn't reuse my old user name

Edited by narduch