2024 CONCACAF Champions Cup

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Cavalry feels like the most likely to be able to pull the upset there.

In the last 5 Champions Leagues, exactly 1 Mexican team got eliminated in the first round, and the other 3 advanced. Hopefully one of the Canadian teams can continue the tradition of a Mexican team getting upset in the first round.

I was surprised that they were allowing teams from the same country meet in the first round (USA was the only country that had this possibility, because they were the only country with a team in Pot 1 and another in Pot 2). At least 2 American teams will be eliminated from the 2024 CCC without facing a team from outside their home country. Either St. Louis or Houston in the first round, then the winner of that plays Columbus in the following round. Inter Miami could potentially get eliminated after only playing an American team as well (if Nashville wins their first round match, and then eliminates Miami in the second round).

It's even possible that Houston, St. Louis, or Columbus could win the whole tournament without leaving the country. Here's an example possible path.

Houston beats St. Louis, then Columbus, then Orlando, then Miami, then Philadelphia to win it all.

Regarding my above post, I am once again bothered, maybe more than ever about how the Leagues Cup is unfairly 100% hosted by MLS teams. It's supposed to act as a qualifying tournament for the Champions Cup, but it's made into a farce which makes the Champions Cup potentially farcical as well, with so many MLS teams like there will be in 2024.

And that's without even pointing out that the all Mexican team match ups in the 2023 Leagues Cup drew attendances of 958, 1000, 948, and somehow one game drew 20,104 in Houston (one day earlier, Houston Dynamo only had 9,188 fans to their own round of 16 match). With the exception of that last game, the others would all be bad draws even for a York United home game.

Edited by Kent
Disambiguating.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Regarding my above post, I am once again bothered, maybe more than ever about how the Leagues Cup is unfairly 100% hosted by MLS teams. It's supposed to act as a qualifying tournament for the Champions Cup, but it's made into a farce which makes the Champions Cup potentially farcical as well, with so many MLS teams like there will be in 2024.

And that's without even pointing out that the all Mexican team match ups in the 2023 Leagues Cup drew attendances of 958, 1000, 948, and somehow one game drew 20,104 in Houston (one day earlier, Houston Dynamo only had 9,188 fans to their own round of 16 match). With the exception of that last game, the others would all be bad draws even for a York United home game.

I've called bullshit on this so many times...

I hate how's there's soooo many American MLS clubs. Philadelphia, New England, and Orlando don't deserve to be in this tournament. 9...9!! American MLS clubs, and not one single club from Honduras or El Salvador. 

This is the first installment, but it needs to be changed immediately. Leagues Cup has given MLS and LigaMX wayyy too much power over Concacaf.

Three from Canada and not one single club from Honduras and El Salvador is another possible criticism. Liga MX and MLS were going to do Leagues Cup whether CONCACAF liked it or not. They had the leverage even before it was made the North American regional entry tournament for the Champions Cup. Personally, the angle I find most intriguing is how the Cavalry plan to play outdoors on natural grass in Calgary in February.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

5 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Orlando is probably the best draw Cavs could have gotten? Struggle to think of a better matchup. And it's a fun away trip for people looking to escape Calgary in February!

Maybe New England? They are still recovering from Bruce Arena fiasco and will have a new manager. 

Or Nashville who kinda tanked in the 2nd half of last season.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Three from Canada and not one single club from Honduras and El Salvador is another possible criticism.

Youre right, especially considering their performance in the Concacaf league. But they still had the opportunity to qualify through the Central American Cup, a continental tournament that Canadian teams don't have access too (Leagues Cup).

Liga MX and MLS were going to do Leagues Cup whether CONCACAF liked it or not. They had the leverage even before it was made the North American regional entry tournament for the Champions Cup.

And it was completely fine if they brought back the in season tournament named Superliga in a bigger format which is called the Leagues Cup today. I don't see it lasting very long, especially in its current climate where all the games are played in MLS stadiums. I don't know what leverage they had over Concacaf (What were they going to say we won't participate in CCC, and forfeit our clubs chances at a FCWC spot?) when they hold all the power. 

Leagues Cup doesn't make any sense. 

Personally, the angle I find most intriguing is how the Cavalry plan to play outdoors on natural grass in Calgary in February.

Undersoil heating. They'll turn on the pipes, and heat that pitch up. 🤭