2024 CONCACAF Champions Cup

4 hours ago, narduch said:

On Fotmob it says Herediano pulled off the upset. Winning 3-2 on the road and advancing on away goals.

I see Toluca really imploded.  Didn't just blew the 2-1 first round lead, they lead 2-0 in the second half before losing 3-2.  I'm going to have to look up the highlights just to see the Toluca fans reaction.  But, great for Herediano.

Of course I think there are too many American and Mexican teams.  But that Miami can conceivably make the final - win the final! - by only playing American teams really devalues the tournament.  Columbus too could do that.  

To me it's one of those things that makes the tournament less compelling.  Only a third of the tournament is from outside North America, which really just makes it feel like a glorified Leagues Cup.  Is there another competition that provides such a domestic route to a continental title?

17 minutes ago, RJB said:

Of course I think there are too many American and Mexican teams.  But that Miami can conceivably make the final - win the final! - by only playing American teams really devalues the tournament.  Columbus too could do that.  

To me it's one of those things that makes the tournament less compelling.  Only a third of the tournament is from outside North America, which really just makes it feel like a glorified Leagues Cup.  Is there another competition that provides such a domestic route to a continental title?

Yeah. The first step was when they got rid of the group stage years ago. Now flooding the competition with Mexican and MLS teams is too much.

I can understand why they don't because once you start guaranteeing spots for one country the other CA countries come calling. In this format CCC could use more variety (see: less MLS and LMX) but it begs the question of what kind of CCC people want: one that is high quality or one that has more "equal" representation of Concacaf members.

I understand why Concacaf League is no more but travel issues aside it really was the ideal competition for CPL clubs. A shame it is no more.

52 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

I can understand why they don't because once you start guaranteeing spots for one country the other CA countries come calling. In this format CCC could use more variety (see: less MLS and LMX) but it begs the question of what kind of CCC people want: one that is high quality or one that has more "equal" representation of Concacaf members.

I understand why Concacaf League is no more but travel issues aside it really was the ideal competition for CPL clubs. A shame it is no more.

Yeah, League was perfect for the CPL.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:52 PM, Mihairokov said:

I promise you change the time the CCC tournament is played, and results will be different across the board...not just for CPL teams. More "upsets" would be likely because the elite teams (MLS/LigaMX will have to juggle their squad more) and all teams will be in mid season fitness.

Play Concacaf League concurrent with todays Champions Cup ...results would be the same for CPL teams. The ties would be closer, but same results imo. These thoughts are influenced because of the performances...they were only good before because CPL teams were at end of season game shape. 

33 minutes ago, narduch said:

Messi and Suarez are skipping Inter Miami's 1st leg away to Nashville 

I'm guessing that's a pretty decent indicator they wouldn't show up to an away game vs a CPL side either, if it happens next year.

48 minutes ago, narduch said:

I love the chaos (cause it doesn't affect me). Ticket prices skyrocket because of Messi and Suarez, but they won't be playing. Take that Nashville fans.

1 hour ago, RS said:

What did the Nashville fans do?

Absolutely nothing. As I said, I was just enjoying the chaos. What I would love to happen is a big uproar because of things like this, and Messi ticket price gouging stops or at least is tempered. Unfortunately that's not realistic though.

Personally I'd love to see Messi play in Toronto, but I also don't want to overpay for a ticket to see 1 player on the opposing team, especially when my buying a ticket won't guarantee he doesn't get hurt and can't play.

I'm behind the news cycle a bit, but I'm not too happy with the American MLS teams today because I've been catching up on the US Open Cup drama. Another case of greed from MLS teams causing pain for the fans.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Whoops. Looks like I got duped by a joke tweet.

Sorry for being gullible. 

Couldn't find anyone else corroborating this.

14 hours ago, narduch said:

Whoops. Looks like I got duped by a joke tweet.

Sorry for being gullible. 

Couldn't find anyone else corroborating this.

In fairness, aside from the fact that he's Messi and the whole superstar thing, he's also an important player for Miami.  The coach is going to want to govern his minutes for legitimate soccer reasons the same as any other important player.  So he wouldn't ordinarily play every single game Miami is in.  For example, Miami plays at Toronto for the last game of the regular season.  If it turns out that the game means nothing to the final standings and Miami is already a lock for the playoffs, would anyone be surprised if Messi (and other top Miami players) stayed on the bench?