Qualified Teams:

Round of 16:

• Pachuca - Mexico (Liga MX)
  • Inter Miami - USA - (Leagues Cup)
  • 2023 Carribean Cup Champions
  • 2023 Central American Cup Champions
  • 2023 MLS Champions

Preliminary Round:

• Vancouver Whitecaps - Canada (Voyageurs Cup)
  • Tigres - Mexico (Liga MX)
  • Chivas - Mexico (Liga MX)
  • Toluca - Mexico (Liga MX)
  • Monterrey - Mexico (Liga MX)
  • Club America - Mexico (Liga MX)
  • Philadelphia - USA (Leagues Cup)
  • Nashville - USA (Leagues Cup)
  • Houston - USA (US Open Cup)
  • CPL (2 spots)
  • Central American Cup (5 spots)
  • Caribbean Cup (2 spots)
  • Leagues Cup (2 spots)
  • MLS (4 spots)

Concacaf has not clarified how the draws will be seeded. But we can assume the new Concacaf club ranking system will be used.

Edited by narduch

Info on the Carribean Cup can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_CONCACAF_Caribbean_Cup

The tournament runs from August 22 to December 7.

There is a tournament called the Caribbean Shield that runs from August 3-13 involving the smaller Caribbean nations to decide the final 2 spots in the Cup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_CONCACAF_Caribbean_Shield

8 hours ago, narduch said:

Info on the Central American Cup can be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_CONCACAF_Central_American_Cup

The tournament runs from August 1 to December 7.

I wonder if CPL will enter this one day. They're the only league not in another continental tournament, if you count MLS and Liga MX in the Leagues Cup.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I wonder if CPL will enter this one day. They're the only league not in another continental tournament, if you count MLS and Liga MX in the Leagues Cup.

I wonder if the Central American teams complained about having to travel all the way to Canada in Concacaf League and that partly led to the current set up.

Really the most logical way forward is for the CPL teams to be included in Leagues Cup but I expect the status quo to continue. 

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wonder if the Central American teams complained about having to travel all the way to Canada in Concacaf League and that partly led to the current set up.

Really the most logical way forward is for the CPL teams to be included in Leagues Cup but I expect the status quo to continue. 

Travel is definitely the big issue. In terms of similar quality, it's the Cup that makes the most sense though. 

Agreed, I don't see the Leagues Cup accommodating the CPL any time soon. 

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

Travel is definitely the big issue. In terms of similar quality, it's the Cup that makes the most sense though. 

I wonder what happens if Greenland ever successfully joins Concacaf 

Edited by narduch

On 6/14/2023 at 6:05 PM, Watchmen said:

CPL teams get two guaranteed entries through CPL play. All the Caribbean and Central American teams can ONLY qualify through the regional cups. It's entirely possible that a country like Honduras, Panama, or Costa Rico have no teams in the Champions Cup. CPL is guaranteed 2, and Canada is guaranteed 3. I'd think that it would be fairer if some of the big Central American leagues also had guaranteed entry.

On 6/14/2023 at 6:25 PM, Watchmen said:

It's competition strictly governed by Liga MX and MLS. I don't see why CPL would ever be involved, any more than we'd see MLS teams in the CPL playoffs.

On 6/14/2023 at 6:26 PM, narduch said:

I wonder what happens if Greenland ever successfully joins Concacaf 

I think they'd probably be stuck in the Caribbean region, like Bermuda and the South American minnows. And St. Pierre & Miquelon if that ever happens.

Edited by nfitz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 1:13 PM, Watchmen said:

I see that the Caribbean actually gets two tournaments: the Caribbean Shield (for smaller nations/clubs) and the 1st and 2nd place teams from that advance to the Caribbean Cup (where the larger countries/clubs have already qualified). 

Robinhood of Suriname and Golden Lion  of Martinique have qualified for the full Carribean Cup

Leagues Cup semi finals are set. 3 Champions League spots up for grabs.

Monterrey v Nashville

Philadelphia v Inter Miami 

Monterrey have already qualified for Champions Cup via Liga MX.

Looks like CONCACAF is going to get Messi in their tournament. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I think that makes the most sense though. It's the easiest way as well as this is an extra tournament basically. 

Yeah, I just wasn't sure how they were doing it. In essence, even if you've already secured a CL spot you end up winning an additional one for your league.

12 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, I just wasn't sure how they were doing it. In essence, even if you've already secured a CL spot you end up winning an additional one for your league.

Makes me wonder what if Vancouver made the Leagues Cuo top 3.

Does it go to the next MLS squad or Voyageurs Cup runner up?

7 hours ago, narduch said:

Makes me wonder what if Vancouver made the Leagues Cuo top 3.

Does it go to the next MLS squad or Voyageurs Cup runner up?

It goes to Voyageurs Cup runner-up, then CPL's third team. That's why Canada can potentially have 6 spots in Champion's Cup. If all 3 Canadian MLS teams miraculously get all League's Cup spots, they pass it to their country, which would be all CPL.

Edit: At least this is what I remember reading. When I first saw that I was a little more excited about LC.

Edited by Trois Reds

This revamped North American Superliga aka Leagues Cup won't last long in its current form. The CCC is going to be heavily American teams.

- LigaMX will cry wolf with this MLS site only.
- Teams knocked out early have a crazy month break (expect teams like Seattle and St Louis league position to change)
- MLS will have 8 of the 27 teams in this new iteration tournament.
- CPL should be involved someway (regardless of the quality gap) considering they are the only league that is left out of a continental qualifier for the CCC.