2024 CONCACAF Champions Cup

39 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm with ya but that CPL travel in both directions probably hit the pocket books pretty hard. That Central American Cup is pretty financially viable for now

Yeah, it probably all comes down to money. As much as we want to believe CONCACAF just caves under pressure from USA and Mexico, ultimately they are listening to Central America and the Caribbean as well. They probably wanted these competitions instead of the CONCACAF League.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Yeah, it probably all comes down to money. As much as we want to believe CONCACAF just caves under pressure from USA and Mexico, ultimately they are listening to Central America and the Caribbean as well. They probably wanted these competitions instead of the CONCACAF League.

One thing you could do to create a europa league type tourney is expand the tournament to 32 teams. Take the loser of every first round and create a parallel 16 team tournament 

Updated table of qualified teams. Rankings are from October 30th so could change a little. The "clinched pot x" is assuming no changes in rankings (the pot 1 teams are unlikely to change, but a team like Vancouver Whitecaps could move up to Pot 1 if one of the Pot 1 MLS teams won MLS Cup) and the "at least" means the team still has a shot at earning a first round bye (by winning MLS Cup, Caribbean Cup, or Central American Cup).

image.png.d8c550ac999035a1d260e4495bec904a.png

And the teams that can still qualify

image.png.ee8f4d224d00e36de85292bd77e3d452.png

Edited by Kent
Found a mistake, I didn't have enough Pot 1 teams

I don't follow the rankings well enough to know for sure, but maybe it's not unrealistic for Vancouver to finish in Pot 1 over Houston after all. When I originally thought it was unlikely to make a difference I actually had the wrong number of teams going into Pot 1, where the gap was between Cincinnatti and Columbus, but the difference between Vancouver and Houston is half that size, so if Vancouver goes on a run and Houston crashes out, maybe Vancouver can get into Pot 1 even if they don't win MLS Cup.

23 hours ago, Kent said:

Updated table of qualified teams. Rankings are from October 30th so could change a little. The "clinched pot x" is assuming no changes in rankings (the pot 1 teams are unlikely to change, but a team like Vancouver Whitecaps could move up to Pot 1 if one of the Pot 1 MLS teams won MLS Cup) and the "at least" means the team still has a shot at earning a first round bye (by winning MLS Cup, Caribbean Cup, or Central American Cup).

image.png.d8c550ac999035a1d260e4495bec904a.png

And the teams that can still qualify

image.png.ee8f4d224d00e36de85292bd77e3d452.png

How is Montreal a possibility?

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the updated table of qualified teams, with their club ranking and pot. LAFC or New England will be added after the MLS Cup Final. If Columbus wins the final they will get a first round bye, and New England will qualify and go into Pot 1. If LAFC win the final they will get a first round bye, and Columbus will be in Pot 1.

image.png.9d6ccb76a5cb0180d9425233adc0f32d.png