Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Quarter-Finals - Pacific v TSS Rovers - May 10, 2023

Psyched for this game. If PFC can run the gamut we host through to the final. LFG!!!

Have to imagine that Polisi will be up for this game, but I think PFC will give them a sterner test than Valour did.  Should be good regardless. Love cup games. 

So do we know anything about away travel today from Rovers fans? 

Anyone travelling from Vancouver will pretty well have to take the afternoon off, at the latest a 5pm ferry and pushing it. The other thing is that the last sailing is too early to make after the game, you'd have to overnight it, so that cuts into any work or obligations tomorrow morn too.

Flying raises costs exponentially of course.

I know you probably know this, UT, but you've just described the reality for every sports fan from the island who has ever wanted to catch a Canucks, Whitecaps, Grizzlies, etc, etc, game.  Could we make the last ferry?  What will the tunnel traffic be like at that time?  Who could we stay with?  Can I make it back to work if we catch the 6am?

Nice to hear it's not just us anymore, lol.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So do we know anything about away travel today from Rovers fans? 

Anyone travelling from Vancouver will pretty well have to take the afternoon off, at the latest a 5pm ferry and pushing it. The other thing is that the last sailing is too early to make after the game, you'd have to overnight it, so that cuts into any work or obligations tomorrow morn too.

Flying raises costs exponentially of course.

There are fans travelling. I do not know there numbers.  But, it's a huge moment for them and they'll be there.

Edit: Over 100 Rovers fans will be there.

Edited by Watchmen

11 hours ago, shorty said:

I know you probably know this, UT, but you've just described the reality for every sports fan from the island who has ever wanted to catch a Canucks, Whitecaps, Grizzlies, etc, etc, game.  Could we make the last ferry?  What will the tunnel traffic be like at that time?  Who could we stay with?  Can I make it back to work if we catch the 6am?

Nice to hear it's not just us anymore, lol.

Perfectly aware. Of course in summer there are later sailings and all those other leagues had weekend matches. Remember a big contingent used to go from Nanaimo to Vancouver harbour on the old fast ferry (edit, for Lions' games). 

Which I see they're reviving. Speaking of which, hilarious:

https://nanaimobeacon.com/hullo/

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

36 minutes ago, nolando said:

Yup. They have a stadium and a fan base and sponsors, too.

$35k to host the first round was a financial concern for them.  Most games are sub-1000 attendance.  It's a nice story, but they're not at the CPL level.

43 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

$35k to host the first round was a financial concern for them.  Most games are sub-1000 attendance.  It's a nice story, but they're not at the CPL level.

If you build it, they "might" come.

57 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

...only watched part of the game but on skill level they matched Pacific OK. What let them down a bit was the relative fitness levels of the two teams but that's where full-time professionalism should make a difference.

29 minutes ago, nolando said:

I absolutely love what Cormack said in the post-match interview about TSS building a club mentality that is sorely needed in Canada vs the soccer as mostly entertainment model. He went on to say that soccer at it's root should be about community. Couldn't agree more.

i totally agree