Match Thread: April 16, 2023 - York United v Valour

Valour clearly the better team for the first 70 mins.
Very shakey in the final 20 plus injury time.

Samake was solid in his Valour debut.
Pianelli did not appear out of place in his 1st pro game.
Niyongabire looks to have the skills to be a force in the CanPL.  Player of the game, IMHO.
Chandler impressed in his short appearance.
Yesli solid when needed.

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Ponce and Rendon were 2 of the 1st re-signings Valour annouced and neither can make the starting 11 in the 1st game of the year :(

2 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Rendon is decent but not really good. Ponce is useless.

...Ponce and Rendon were the only unused subs, along with the backup goalie.

I don't think it's a coincidence that PDS brought on two U21 guys (Sanchez and Ulloa) once they went up two goals. It will be a challenge for the team to fill those minutes this year, unless de Brienne becomes a full-timer. I imagine we would have seen at least Rendon in different circumstances.

5 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Speaking of fixture congestion... we will see them on Wednesday.

Quite the travel week for Valour too. Eastern Canada to west coast to home. I imagine they'll fly straight to Vancouver today or tomorrow?

Cavalry also goes from GTA to west coast, but then they stay there for next weekend's league match. Cavalry also gets a decent rest with matches Sat-Thurs-Sun compared to Valour's Sun-Wed-Sat.

Edited by jonovision

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that PDS brought on two U21 guys (Sanchez and Ulloa) once they went up two goals. It will be a challenge for the team to fill those minutes this year, unless de Brienne becomes a full-timer. I imagine we would have seen at least Rendon in different circumstances.

I'm interested to see what Sanchez brings.

I dont think De Brienne is the answer on the left wing. Smarter teams will go at him.

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

york is showing nothing after all these quality additions...baldisimo de rosario dos santos ricci on the bench...nash in the last year of his contract...if he cant show anything better in the first half of the season maybe they let him go and go with smith as interim for the rest of the season

You’re in the GTA you probably could have gotten a quality decent local coach and actually saved money . A guy like Nash isn’t going to relocate here unless he is payed a decent salary . A local coach would probably ask for less because he would not have to relocate . I can understand some of the other teams bringing in coaches that are not local , but when your in one of the soccer hotbeds of the country do you really need to hire outside of the area ?

Faye, York's left back is absolutely atrocious no clue how he's managed to get more than 50 Eredivisie appearances at 24. Babouli looked disinterested which isn't ideal but Alou looked pretty good and with Bayiha and Ferrari feeding the strikers think it isn't all doom and gloom. 

Turnout seemed good for a York game and the pies hit as always.

52 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Faye, York's left back is absolutely atrocious no clue how he's managed to get more than 50 Eredivisie appearances at 24. Babouli looked disinterested which isn't ideal but Alou looked pretty good and with Bayiha and Ferrari feeding the strikers think it isn't all doom and gloom. 

Turnout seemed good for a York game and the pies hit as always.

Have any players with significant minutes in a top-ish European league looked good in the CPL? It seems like they inevitably disappoint.

25 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Have any players with significant minutes in a top-ish European league looked good in the CPL? It seems like they inevitably disappoint.

Well, someone who has spent time in the Eredivisie or a similar league and ends up here is not on the right side of their career trajectory.

26 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Think Paolucci was decent for Valour can't think of another (not that I know of too many either).

And,  I quote;

"We're top of the league.

"We're top of the league.

"Fu'k you, Wade Miller.

"We're top of the league!"

Thought Rafi had a match, well done lad.  Gave me chest pain every time he went down on that turf but still.  Good job. 

Thought Novak was right up there with him.  Stay healthy.  

And Pacific?  (Yeah, that's what I'm calling him).  Welcome to the club!  Feel free to make yourself right at home!

Edited by Cheeta

6 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

Think Paolucci was decent for Valour can't think of another (not that I know of too many either).

Paolucci was decent on the attrious 2019 Valour team -- would not have made any team in the league this year.

I believe Paolucci is currently a player/coach with FC Manitoba.

10 hours ago, SoccMan said:

You’re in the GTA you probably could have gotten a quality decent local coach and actually saved money....

Will be interesting to see how Halifax do compared to York this season because they have the coach and signed the players that could very easily have gone to York instead if they were operating in North York Rockets mode. That team looked 100% comfortable in possession against Atletico but maybe weren't the greatest athletes, while York has players who can run like a greyhound but aren't always able to make what should be relatively straightforward passes for players at this level. Can almost hear the Billy Beane commentary in the background saying everybody else has given up on this kid, but if he improves this one basic skill, he could be a Premiership player and we'll make megabucks with a sell-on clause etc etc

8 hours ago, Cheeta said:

..."Fu'k you, Wade Miller...

^^^think that's the last thing Valour fans should be singing this season when they have a Harvey Weinstein lookalike who probably doesn't give a flying one about soccer as a sport as the corporate exec making decisions as to whether to keep the club going. The Valour fell apart after making substitutions and were very lucky not to concede a couple of late goals. The Benny Hill theme could have been added to some of York's attempts to turn pressure into a goal but there are other teams in the league who would have been more ruthless. If that was really caused by putting players on to meet the U-21 minutes quota, the quality of depth available from the bench has to be a concern.