Match Thread: CONCACAF Champions League - Round of 16 - Leg 2: Cruz Azul (Mexico) v Forge - February 24, 2022

2 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I thought it might be a stinker at first, but the view from behind showed that it was a hell of a ball placement. Tough one

placement was decent, but wasn't amazing. if a goalie can get two hands on it, the placement could have been better. 

Interesting that Jenkins brought up the CCL scheduling issue.

MLS is the main reason the tournament occurs now. When the format changed Concacaf has asked MLS when they prefer the tournament to take place. MLS preferred the winter/Spring v Fall.

So they really have themselves to blame for how poorly they perform 

5 minutes ago, gator said:

Maybe I am being harsh but I think all 3 goals were very preventable, naive defending and terrible goalkeeping were the culprits!

I have not yet done my year to year roster analysis as I am waiting for the final rosters all CPL teams but it does seem that Smyrniotis is facing his greatest year over year defender line change up. Probably that is mostly what we are witnessing, more than anything.

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Cisse and having Babouli in an attacking role. I realize Campbell is not like for like, but they lined up a little different last year. We’ll see if Pacius has got anything more here.

Yeah, big shoes to fill. Cisse was Forge's best player in many of the matches I watched. Where is he?

Edited by jonovision

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Yeah, big shoes to fill. Cisse was Forge's best player in many of the matches I watched. Where is he?

No idea, haven’t heard anything from the club about him and he hasn’t tweeted or posted anything himself as far as I can tell.

Forge did really well overall all things considered, out of season with some roster turnover playing a Mexican giant who have won this tournament 6 times and are into their season! When the draw was made I figured this could be really ugly over 2 legs but it wasn't that bad, Cruz are obviously at a different level no matter what 11 they are going to put out, Forge as mentioned gave up at least 3 very preventable goals over the 2 legs and some of this can be attributed to being out of season! The team was obviously gassed at the end although they did create some half chances and have nothing to be ashamed of, I am going to miss not having Concacaf matches at THF this year, they are always so much fun!