Match Thread: CONCACAF Champions League - Round of 16 - Leg 2: Cruz Azul (Mexico) v Forge - February 24, 2022

2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Cisse and having Babouli in an attacking role. I realize Campbell is not like for like, but they lined up a little different last year. We’ll see if Pacius has got anything more here.

I see Hojabrpour as more of a Sabak replacement. A more attack-minded midfielder. Sabak didn’t show much, so I think this is a positive move.

Cisse was replaced by Sissoko, a natural defensive midfielder who can play fullback. Right now that is a clear downgrade.

Campbell definitely is a different player than Babouli, more like a Novak replacement after a year where we missed having a target man up top (and where Welshman didn’t fill the gap well enough). I think we will need Campbell this year, but it’s clear the link up play between him and the wingers/midfield just hasn’t grown chemistry yet.

Edited by Pottsy3

9 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

I see Hojabrpour as more of a Sabak replacement. A more attack-minded midfielder. Sabak didn’t show much, so I think this is a positive move.

Cisse was replaced by Sissoko, a natural defensive midfielder who can play fullback. Right now that is a clear downgrade.

Campbell definitely is a different player than Babouli, more like a Novak replacement after a year where we missed having a target man up top (and where Welshman didn’t fill the gap well enough). I think we will need Campbell this year, but it’s clear the link up play between him and the wingers/midfield just hasn’t grown chemistry yet.

It's too early to make any real judgements, but that's the luxury of being a couch critic. As a fan, it would have been nice to go into CCL with the full line-up that got them there, but that's impossible with the way this tournament is scheduled. This lineup may turn out to be more effective if Campbell can provide consistent goal-scoring. Morgan looked rusty, and none of them could connect offensively, but Cruz Azul is many steps above the competition they'll face in the league, so there are no meaningful takeaways from this in terms of league play.