All purpose ‘Going to Qatar’ thread

EJsens1

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I hope all of you Canada fans are in the square in Qatar because my country of Ghana...our fans we flooded the streets of Qatar especially if you have seen photos of us on IG through ESPN FC we came in waves but I only hope Canada fans are already in Qatar flooding the streets 

I hope those that go bring some pride flags with them or at least donate money to organisations supporting the workers. Make a statement, don't just be a part of this charade.

5 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I hope all of you Canada fans are in the square in Qatar because my country of Ghana...our fans we flooded the streets of Qatar especially if you have seen photos of us on IG through ESPN FC we came in waves but I only hope Canada fans are already in Qatar flooding the streets 

Same with Morocco.

On 11/14/2022 at 12:57 PM, red card said:

A must visit. But expect slow service as your waiter rolls around before taking your order.

LOL.  No shit.  The imagination runs riot.

Forget the rolling on the ground.  I think you'll find being mobbed by the waiters, assistant manager and manager disputing your order ( I know what I ordered and it wasn't a live, plucked, chicken!) for 10 minutes before conceding you did in fact order Thai Bites as an appi. is way more aggrevating. 

Well, not as AGGREVATING as all the time wasting the waiter does with the theatrics of trying to get his pen to work before taking your drink order.  

And not nearly as aggrevating as having to slip a gratuity to everyone in a CONCACRAP blazer who gets within arms length just to get you into the joint, and then to a shitty table, and then to eventually come 'round and bring you a bevy. 

"Go Home!"  Yes!  Exclamation mark! 

"Go Home!".  Here, students, is a text book example of failing to properly convey the message you're looking to deliver to your target market because of a misunderstanding in cultural nuance.   

Fuzzy, cuddly, your-amongst-friends-here "Go Home!" 🙂 reads quite differently to the ad execs in a board room somewhere in Doha compared to how most travelling CONCACRAP footie fan relate "Go Home!" 👿 to as it's being belched at them in English, Spanish or French by the local supports  No, no, not at all the same vibe.   

I would suggest "Go" may have been the wrong verb in this instance.  

I could go on, and on, and on, and on...

51 minutes ago, Gman13 said:

It’s the 3 hours in that heat and huge beer line ups that I won’t miss, just means staying in a air conditioned bar longer and leaving closer to kickoff…hope they amend the times at Canada House.

You also have to understand that not all the stadiums are close by and the Canada Soccer staff who are hosting need to get to the game themselves.  

58 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You also have to understand that not all the stadiums are close by and the Canada Soccer staff who are hosting need to get to the game themselves.  

Yes…but the hotel staff serving the beer do not need to leave, so fans are free to stay as long as they wish.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Good point especially now that no one is drinking beer at the stadium.  

It does throw a bit of a wrinkle into the planned march timing as there is now no need/desire to stand in that sweltering heat with no beer 3 hours before kickoff…I hope we are able to come up with another plan and still have a big turnout for the march to the stadium.

20 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The event at Canada house is supposed to end at 6PM.  And the game is at 10PM.  Should be enough time to get the game.   I would think.    

Yeah…it takes about an hour from Canada House to all of the Stadiums, I’m saying there is now no need to leave 4 hours before kickoff when the stadium is dry and hot as hell outside.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/world-cup-cruise-qatar-azamara-b2196333.html

I booked this cruise myself, and was going to watch Canada vs Belgium, but I was tipped off that the Qatari regime was going to ban it.

I would be weary going to Qatar now it seems like they have no respect for the deals they made prior to winning the bid.

FIFA should consider relocation, because this is ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/world-cup-cruise-qatar-azamara-b2196333.html

I booked this cruise myself, and was going to watch Canada vs Belgium, but I was tipped off that the Qatari regime was going to ban it.

I would be weary going to Qatar now it seems like they have no respect for the deals they made prior to winning the bid.

FIFA should consider relocation, because this is ridiculous.

Is this for real? If you honestly think for those of us going not being able to get $19 Budweiser before or after a game is a deal breaker for many of us who have already spent between $5-10 grand, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

I’m not even gonna touch the relocation factor 

4 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Is this for real? If you honestly think for those of us going not being able to get $19 Budweiser before or after a game is a deal breaker for many of us who have already spent between $5-10 grand, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

I’m not even gonna touch the relocation factor 

It's not about the alcohol, it just feels like FIFA has no control over the tournament, it's starting to feel more militant.

I was lucky to get a refund on my cruise, Qatar won't let any ships dock now during the world cup, which put a lot of people in a bad position.

27 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

It's not about the alcohol, it just feels like FIFA has no control over the tournament, it's starting to feel more militant.

Exactly. If they've gone back on their word regarding alcohol, what about promises to LGBTQ+ fans, for example.

Forgive the metaphor, but changing the goalposts this late after fans have already spent thousands of dollars and travelled is sketchy.

Edited by Blue and White Army

I am very curious to see what things are like when I get there.   I am not saying that the concerns are not warranted but I know that media reports can be agenda driven or from sources who have an agenda.   

There some very good  Youtube videos from TIFO football on the topic of Qatar hosting the WC.  It's a four-part series titled "The Qatar World Cup Explained".  Its cover the geopolitical & diplomatic impacts of the Qatar WC and its influence on Qatar winning and hosting the world cup.   I highly recommend it.  After watching, I have decided that I will judge for myself when I get there.  

PS.:  I just noticed now that they put out fifth episode 12 hours ago

Edited by Free kick