All purpose ‘Going to Qatar’ thread

EJsens1

5 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Anyone else have any issues with this? What if I test positive 48 hours before? Quarantine? Hotels are non refundable, Game tickets? They expect us to be ok with being out thousands of dollars and missing the events we travelled half way around the world to see?

You probably should semi-quarantine 2 weeks before your test lol.

13 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Anyone else have any issues with this? What if I test positive 48 hours before? Quarantine? Hotels are non refundable, Game tickets? They expect us to be ok with being out thousands of dollars and missing the events we travelled half way around the world to see?

What i find disappointing is that i have to stumble on this info on twitter or on some soccer fan forum.   I didn't get an email from Anyone (ie.: FIFA or otherwise) telling me this.  They should be telling us this.   They have my email address as a result of applying for tickets and applying for the Hayya card.

PS.:  i did hear about this on the group on Whatsapp last week.  But again, My point stands.   we should be informed from the source

Edited by Free kick

16 minutes ago, Onelessstar said:

Maybe this is elsewhere... just saw these pre-WC Power Rankings today:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/28/world-cup-2022-power-rankings-32-team-two-months-to-go-qatar

what caught my attention there is that they rate Croatia ahead of Belgium. Never saw that before.

Cro #8

Bel #12

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, DrunkenGoon said:

Lots of Canada/Croatia tickets available on the resale site (cat 1 and cat 2 only). Also for the other two games.

image.thumb.png.21d6da63b815aa8c365d6bd7c2a6bb9c.png

That’s been the theme all along. You’ll see a bunch of the same games over and over for sale, while others are next to impossible to appear 

On 10/6/2022 at 9:50 AM, Vancouver Fan said:

Anyone else having issues registering on the Ehteraz App?I entered all of my info but it just buffers endlessly after clicking "Register". 

Same here. 

From the opening screen, I have had more luck with the pre-registration system at the top (which sends you to a website on your browser). 

Takeaways from Sky News interview of World Cup chief Nasser Alkhater.

- 95% of tickets sold
- If you get drunk, you will be put in sober zones till you're sorted out
- Expect traffic jams if on the road especially on days with 4 matches
- Rainbow flags okay. Public shows of affection is okay.
- English & Welsh FAs should focus on teams not lobby for compensation
- FIFA will have to decide on captains wearing "One Love" armbands while cautioning against "political messages" by teams
- All we ask is for people to be respectful of the culture

On 10/4/2022 at 9:43 PM, DrunkenGoon said:

Lots of Canada/Croatia tickets available on the resale site (cat 1 and cat 2 only). Also for the other two games.

image.thumb.png.21d6da63b815aa8c365d6bd7c2a6bb9c.png

What does the Block # / row # / seat # mean? Is this telling us where the seats are? Any way to tell where the seats have own are?

I'm not sure what's showing up accommodation-wise on the official portal, but it looks like some Marriott hotels are now selling rooms on the Marriott website. It's pricey and non-refundable (around $600 CAD a night looks to be the cheapest option right now), but it might be an option for someone who wants to add any extra nights or is still looking for accommodation. If you book this way, it sounds like they contact you, you give them all your details (ticket confirmation number, passport information, etc.) and then once they process that and approve you, your booking is confirmed.

Even though I can't personally fly to Qatar to watch Canada play live, I almost am jealous of all of you who are but I'm also happy for all of you guys too because we need as many Canada fans in Qatar in the stands. We need to see a Sea of Red in the Qatari stadiums and when that O Canada national anthem hits at the World Cup for the first time in 36 years, we are going to need all of you guys to be loud.

9 hours ago, Neil R. said:

I'm not sure what's showing up accommodation-wise on the official portal, but it looks like some Marriott hotels are now selling rooms on the Marriott website. It's pricey and non-refundable (around $600 CAD a night looks to be the cheapest option right now), but it might be an option for someone who wants to add any extra nights or is still looking for accommodation. If you book this way, it sounds like they contact you, you give them all your details (ticket confirmation number, passport information, etc.) and then once they process that and approve you, your booking is confirmed.

Thanks for the info.  I wish this was available earlier.  I have a bunch of Marriott points and I could have stayed for free rather than paying for an apartment.  

On 10/16/2022 at 8:01 AM, JamboAl said:

Thanks for the info.  I wish this was available earlier.  I have a bunch of Marriott points and I could have stayed for free rather than paying for an apartment.  

That would have been amazing. The silver lining is there hasn't been an opportunity to use points, so you haven't missed out on anything. Even now with the ability to book directly through Marriott, when you select the points option, 99% of the time, the hotels come up sold out or the points option isn't even enabled. The only exception is a November 30-December 5 block of points nights at the Delta City Center, but that isn't really ideal for the group stage. That's as far into the tournament as I looked.

Back when I was planning on going, I thought I had an absolute steal on Marriott points. When the World Cup dates first became available on the Marriott website in December 2021, the Four Points Sheraton Doha hadn't blocked off their rooms yet when it was decided that reservations would go through the Supreme Legacy Committee portal instead. I had the whole group stage covered from November 20-December 3 at an unbelievable redemption price of ~11,000 points per night. Insanely good compared to what the cost would have been. Turns out it was too good to be true after all. The hotel reached out around Christmas and said they had to cancel everything since it wasn't supposed to be available, and they couldn't accept any reservations directly because everything was going through a special booking portal soon (which was true at the time but that seems to have changed). The opportunity to use points would have been amazing, and from looking at the street view outside the hotel, there's an escalator in front of the hotel's entrance which takes you down to the main subway station in Doha, Msheireb, where you can get the red line, gold line, or green line. Would have been perfect. Hope you have a great time!

93% of tickets have been sold or just under 2.9 million - almost on par with Qatar's population. 1.5-1.7 million applied for Hayya card. There will be another round of ticket selling. 

Qatar, US, Saudi Arabia, England, Mexico, the UAE, Argentina, France, Brazil, and Germany were the highest-demand countries.

240,000 hospitality packages have been sold which is most ever led by Qatar, Mexico, US, Saudi Arabia, Argentina, UAE, UK, Brazil, India & Switzerland.

Metro expanded to 22 hours of operation. Consular services from 45 embassies will be set up in a central location (Doha Convention Centre Hall 4).

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/qatar-world-cup-ticket-sales-near-3-million-says-infantino-8214454/

Edited by red card

Weird that there are no tickets available on the portal or resale market but they are opening not one but two ticket sales offices in Doha.  I realize there are blocks that various associations will return, plus a lot of FIFA sponsors, etc tickets that will not be used so it's a good idea to have it, question is if all will go on the market at once or if they will slowly release them. Based on the resale market, they are pushing a lot of cat 1 and cat 2 tickets until those are gone and then add cat 3 so patience might be a virtue when looking for affordable tickets.

image.thumb.png.d121488a79856368e03f135b715afb12.png

On 10/6/2022 at 11:50 AM, Vancouver Fan said:

Anyone else having issues registering on the Ehteraz App?I entered all of my info but it just buffers endlessly after clicking "Register". 

I was having similar issues on my phone, but when I went on my computer and entered the information it merged with the App the next time I opened the App.

It was easier to upload docs too.

COVID TESTING - as discussed above, if you test positive on your COVID test before you go- you aren't going. If you have had COVID this Fall, you could still test positive (for up to 3 months)! However the FIFA World Cup Covid19 Protocol ( https://covid19.moph.gov.qa/EN/Documents/PDFs/FWCQ22 COVID19 Healthcare Protocol V28 English.pdf )   says that if you have proof that you in fact did have Covid before (and not at the time of your test before departure) then that is acceptable. In other words get PCR tested now - If the test is negative- you have nothing to worry about - If it is positive then you will have proof to provide in the event that you are positive in a month- I suspect that there are going to be hundreds of fans turned away or delayed because they won't be able to show they had Covid not  have  it.