Kobe Franklin

JamesF

16 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Yep...he definitely has improved but we are deep at wingbacks.

He still needs time to develop an attacking game. he has been solid defensively but not outstanding either

We are deep at wingback but not crazy deep (stylystically speaking) at a more defensive fullback. 

Johnston is more RB than RWB. Laryea is more RWB than RB. But both can do a job at either. After that though, its guys like farsi, ZBG, Buchanan who are all wingbacks. We don't really have many proper RB's in the mix (after the A squad) if we want to play with defensive fullbacks.... especially if we give phonzie free license at LB. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Seems like it’s mostly playing experience based rankings? Not sure that’s a truly accurate way to rank:

IMG_4699.jpeg

Yeah, I saw that, though I think they weigh the importance of the games they play and the amount of starts they get too, which is probably a relatively accurate way to forecast young players who could become really good in the future. Franklin has the second fewest minutes of any player in that top 30, yet beats out guys in similar/higher quality leagues like the championship and Russia. It says it considers the points the team acquired during the games he played, which considering he played for TFC, you’d think that would knock his score down. He also didn’t play TFC’s one match against Atlas in Leagues Cup, and looking at his game log, the only notable games he really played was against Messi’s Inter Miami and TFC’s Voyageur Cup loss against CFM. He did start a relatively high percentage of matches compared to the guys below him, so maybe that’s what bumped his ranking up too. Either way, he’s probably top ~20 best U21 RBs in the world right now regardless of how you slice it, I think starting that many games at that position at his age and in that league, regardless of how bad TFC was is a pretty big achievement.

• 2 months later...

Lots of work rate and graft but not a lot of technical craft.  Makes safe passes but his presence in a wingback spot is likely more about his two way play in backtracking defensive support as well as providing a wide passing option for Bernadeschi (though the IItalian winger would play the ball inside 99 times out of a 100 than move it wide to him)  He looks to have some similar traits to what Raposo does in the same role with the Caps.

On 9/22/2023 at 10:44 AM, Bigandy said:

We are deep at wingback but not crazy deep (stylystically speaking) at a more defensive fullback. 

Johnston is more RB than RWB. Laryea is more RWB than RB. But both can do a job at either. After that though, its guys like farsi, ZBG, Buchanan who are all wingbacks. We don't really have many proper RB's in the mix (after the A squad) if we want to play with defensive fullbacks.... especially if we give phonzie free license at LB. 

At the MLS level he isn’t a wingback. Promising young fullback, tough, good tackler. Herdman clearly likes him a lot though I’m not sure he fits what Herdman needs (the fight aside). 

On 3/9/2024 at 10:51 PM, ECW said:

At the MLS level he isn’t a wingback. Promising young fullback, tough, good tackler. Herdman clearly likes him a lot though I’m not sure he fits what Herdman needs (the fight aside). 

As a defensive fullback, he needs to keep working on closing down space, avoiding ball watching and ball chasing.  I know that is within the context of a very bad defence last year but nonetheless I did see all of those things in the latter half of a very bad club season, so he needs to keep showing improvement in those important aspects of team defending.  I agree, he's not a wingback but he can continue to have a squad role and "do a job" when required.

Edited by BearcatSA

On 3/9/2024 at 11:51 PM, ECW said:

That was the sentiment of my post. Franklin is one of few proper fullbacks in the pipeline. Most of our other guys are more wingback than fullback.

He has improved over last year. If you watched him last season Bernadeschi was pretty frustrated with and had a lot of converstions. They have been obviously working on some of these issues in training. If you watch closely you will Franklin go inside when Bernadeschi goes wide which he naver did last year and seem to know each other's movements a lot better. Not sure if he'll ever be CMNT level, but he will be a usefull piece for TFC. Gotta remember he is Richie's back-up.

• 1 month later...