Match Thread: August 20, 2021 - Pacific v Cavalry

narduch

24 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Especially given Escalantes reputation. I watched the replay on the highlights and it seems the red was given based on the extra push... bizarre.

yah, maybe that push was a shot in the throat or something, but just looked like a shove in the chest to me. escalante literally grabbed a guy from behind and tried to throw him.

I don't understand how Escalante is not sent off for that but the linesman on the corner must have been looking at his shoelaces.

Doesn't really change the fact that Cavalry, Forge, and Pacific are the top 3 this year.  Pacific will still be there at the end and I still believe they will meet in the semis.

Good to see Campbell getting into scoring form again even though it was a penalty.

Edited by Terry_Canuck

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Especially given Escalantes reputation. I watched the replay on the highlights and it seems the red was given based on the extra push... bizarre.

To be fair to Escalante, that's the sort of player that can win you championships. Cheating mentality, very dirty style of play and with the ability to get away with it. That sort of style unsettles the opposition teams.

Some may call it cheating, but I call it a skill to do that if you know how to get away with it. I've seen it from Luis Suarez, Arturo Vidal, and Neymar all on championship winning teams. It works.

45 minutes ago, Ingham said:

To be fair to Escalante, that's the sort of player that can win you championships. Cheating mentality, very dirty style of play and with the ability to get away with it. That sort of style unsettles the opposition teams.

Some may call it cheating, but I call it a skill to do that if you know how to get away with it. I've seen it from Luis Suarez, Arturo Vidal, and Neymar all on championship winning teams. It works.

Looking at the highlights again, I wonder if he gave him the red because the ref had been asking him to step back from that spot. So he interpreted Escalante pulling at him as part of what he was asking for. In any case, that is not cheating or gamesmanship, really, he is just pulling at a guy who I suspect was ignoring the ref. It was a lousy tussle. And no way would I call that a red, dumb decision.

Pacific came close quite a few times and just lost the coverage on those two early goals. That was how Pacific lost to Cavalry the first season, more or less.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Our seasons tickets are in the west stand where PFC were defending in the first half.  I can see why Cavalry were down on Boskovic.  He looked lackadaisical, sluggish, uninterested -- no intensity.  Both goals were at least 80% his fault for not closing down.  Pa pulled him after only 29-30 minutes (no injury).  I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Pa's post-game one-on-one with him.

PFC were much better with TMG on for Boskovic, but they really missed McNaughton and Bustos.  Both being saved for the Whitecaps game, I assume.

Also, I can't stand this ref.  I recognize him but don't remember his name and the Canpl site doesn't seem to list the referee assignments anywhere.