Match Thread: June 26, 2021 - Pacific v HFX Wanderers

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

Is there a summary of who’s available and who’s missing from camp for each squad? I think both teams have key players away

I wish they would include this in their summaries.

One thing that they do in Europe that I wish they would do in North America is that teams actually tell fans who will be in the 18 the day before a match.

For some reason these are deep dark secrets here.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wish they would include this in their summaries.

One thing that they do in Europe that I wish they would do in North America is that teams actually tell fans who will be in the 18 the day before a match.

For some reason these are deep dark secrets here.

It depends on how the competition is organised.

In Spain you have no obligation to list your roster the day before. The only time you get a hint is if players don't travel away and are discards.  

Anyone who is not available is usually listed on an injury list or other, the rest are just there in limbo--until the coach is required to deliver the gameday squad, starters and bench, to the refs. This is usually an hour before or an hour and a half depending on the tier (even for top level kids here you do this an hour or 1:15 ahead of the match).

So as I say, if the competition would regulate it, we'd get it a day before, at least provisionally.

Unless there are sources of information I'm not aware of, it seems crazy to have single match betting available but still be left trying to piece together who is actually in camp from various Instagram stories. Let alone trying to guess who might have picked up a knock, who's looking sharp, what formation they might play etc.

5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Unless there are sources of information I'm not aware of, it seems crazy to have single match betting available but still be left trying to piece together who is actually in camp from various Instagram stories. Let alone trying to guess who might have picked up a knock, who's looking sharp, what formation they might play etc.

For instance is Geffrard with Haiti or is he in Winnipeg?

26 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It depends on how the competition is organised.

In Spain you have no obligation to list your roster the day before. The only time you get a hint is if players don't travel away and are discards.  

Anyone who is not available is usually listed on an injury list or other, the rest are just there in limbo--until the coach is required to deliver the gameday squad, starters and bench, to the refs. This is usually an hour before or an hour and a half depending on the tier (even for top level kids here you do this an hour or 1:15 ahead of the match).

So as I say, if the competition would regulate it, we'd get it a day before, at least provisionally.

I probably shouldn't have generalized. I know they do this in Italy and France

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

I probably shouldn't have generalized. I know they do this in Italy and France

I just rechecked the Spanish legislation.

All it says is that before the game you have to give the ref a list of the roster with the starters and subs, and that no more than X no of subs can be on any list. Then there are regulations about not having more than X no of players not on the first team, they limit the number of 2nd or B team callups and how many can see the pitch. 

The ref just needs time to check the list to ensure every name is registered with the federation, and then it is officially uploaded onto the Liga app. Of course the ref does not have the obligation to check if a player is suspended, the team delegate has to do that. This is why team delegates usually check the rival roster and starters for anyone suspended or without the license in order. If you play and lose or draw, then you denounce the irregularity to get the full points.

Two years ago Barça called up a B player, Chumi, who was suspended for yellows with the B team, and played him in a Cup match. But the rival team did not figure it out until too late, they had like 48 hours to denounce the case and they missed it. I once sat beside Chumi when he was injured, watching Tabla. To point: any CPL players with cards carrying over from last year?

Only after delivering the list to the ref (now I think clubs upload it to the Liga web, the ref checks it there and ticks it off), do they also deliver a list to the press, who will wait for their piece of paper. They may even stick the call-up and starters on the door of the refs' dressing room, or players' dressing room, that was the old way (for lower tier you used to have to go to the door and look at the list yourself, or seek out the local pressbox, often accessible, and ask them). 

Strictly speaking, since we have info online and a ref can check rosters an hour before a match, there is no good reason to deliver gameday rosters and starters before gameday.

The top two teams in the league for attractive football last season. They didn't disappoint, Pacific in particular played some beautiful passing football. Halifax looked a little gassed and disjointed but sure they will come around, think they took the Hart scare badly. Marshall had some great moments, Karajovanovic looks a steal and a great addition to an already potent attack. 

Pacific looked great all over. Great debut from Bassett and Lee. 

I missed what is going on with Victor Blasco? - edit - see his father passed away. Condolences to him and hope he gets back safe and sound to Canada when he is ready.

Edited by toontownman

Just finished watching the game....major delay from OneSoccer on having the game available to watch. 8 hours after the game ended???

Great result - like the ball movement from Pacific and at least in the 1st half they were chasing every ball. Reminded me of Leeds a little

8 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Bassett the former ENGLISH D7 BALLER was the best player on the field and shows that hes a strong player at this level

He had already agreed to sign with Pacific when he signed with the D7 team, this was just for conditioning, an opportunity to get minutes during COVID.  He also played a game with Northern Ireland's U19 team in qualifying.