Canadian European-based Champions (2020-21)

Obinna

As the 2020-21 European seasons draw to a close, we have a number of Canadians eligible to lift silverware. In fact, there are two Canadians who've already won a league and cup title, and we have the potential for that to rise to 7 Canadians winning a combined 6 league titles and 5 domestic cups across Europe. If all goes well, this would easily be the best season in recent memory, if not ever!

I'll update this accordingly as Champions continue to be confirmed in the coming days and weeks...

Canadian European-based Champions (2020-21)

David Wotherspoon (St. Johnstone FC) - Scottish League Cup, Scottish Cup 

Scott Arfield (Rangers FC) - Scottish Premiership

Milan Borjan (Red Star Belgrade) - Serbian SuperLiga, Serbian Cup 

Atiba Hutchinson (Besiktas J.K) - Turkish Super Lig, Turkish Cup 

Cyle Larin (Besiktas J.K) - Turkish Super Lig, Turkish Cup 

Jonathan David (Lille OSC) - Ligue 1 

Alphonso Davies (FC Bayern Munich) - Bundesliga 

Edit: Remarkably, every Canadian that was eligible to win silverware did so, except in the case where Arfield and Wotherspoon were both in contention for the Scottish Cup. This has been a legendary season for Canadians in Europe. I hope whoever is tasked with the TIFOs for home games (when they return) makes something nice for the boys in order to celebrate these triumphs.  

Edited by Obinna

From the talk in the Borjan thread it sounds like Red Star has won the Serbian League!

Meanwhile, Wotherspoon and St. Johnstone knocked Arfield and Rangers out of the Scottish Cup, so Spoony can still win a double this season.

Edited the list accordingly.

12 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

While he isn't currently on the roster, Manjrekar James has played for Midtjylland this year who are topping the table in Denmark. That would make him a champion as well.

If he played enough for Midtjylland to get a winners medal, I will add him to the list!

On 4/22/2021 at 8:17 PM, Obinna said:

As the 2020-21 European seasons draw to a close, we have a number of Canadians eligible to lift silverware. In fact, there are two Canadians who've already won a league and cup title, and we have the potential for that to rise to 7 Canadians winning a combined 6 league titles and 5 domestic cups across Europe. If all goes well, this would easily be the best season in recent memory, if not ever!

I'll update this accordingly as Champions continue to be confirmed in the coming days and weeks...

This was a really good idea, and I hope it becomes an annual posting on the board. 

Congrats to Atiba and Larin for winning the Turkish Super Lig! 

Hutchinson now becomes a 3-time winner and Larin earns his first trophy at the professional level.

This is the first league title for Besiktas since 2016-17 and their 16th league title overall.

This "Sampiyon" celebration video has highlights from the year featuring Hutchinson and Larin. I don't know if it's the music or what, but watching that and seeing both of our guys play such a key role in the title win, seeing the images of their fans and what this club means to them, really gives me goosebumps....

Edited by Obinna

Larin and Hutchinson have won the Turkish Cup, completing the domestic double!

This is the first time Besiktas won the double since the 2008-09 season.

This Cup triumph is their 10th overall and first since 2010-11.  

There are only 3 trophies now pending in what's been a stellar season for Canadians:

• David Wotherspoon Scottish Cup
  • Milan Borjan Serbian Cup
  • Jonathan David Ligue 1 

By week's end everything will have been decided...

Edited by Obinna

I'm not a tifo maker by any stretch of the imagination, but I feel like a tifo should be made to honour this championship season for whenever the hell the CMNT can play in Canada again, with fans. Just putting that out there for better people than me to run with if they deem it a good idea. I'm sure there are other better ideas though.

On 5/19/2021 at 1:15 PM, Obinna said:

Larin and Hutchinson have won the Turkish Cup, completing the domestic double!

This is the first time Besiktas won the double since the 2008-09 season.

This Cup triumph is their 10th overall and first since 2010-11.  

There are only 3 trophies now pending in what's been a stellar season for Canadians:

• David Wotherspoon Scottish Cup
  • Milan Borjan Serbian Cup
  • Jonathan David Ligue 1 

By week's end everything will have been decided...

Great Weekend for Canadians, and not just because it was Victoria day long weekend...

Congrats to David Wotherspoon and Jonathan David, who have won the Scottish Cup and Ligue 1 title respectively!

This continues the incredible and unprecedented trophy haul for Canadians in Europe!

Milan Borjan and Red Star play in the Serbian Cup final tomorrow, he's the last one eligible for another trophy. Should he win, everyone who was still in contention for silverware back on April 22 (when I created this thread) would have won, minus Scott Arfield who got knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Wotherspoon and St. Johnstone.

Edited by Obinna

16 hours ago, Kent said:

For anyone else wanting to confirm, Red Star won 4-3 on kicks after a 0-0 game, so I presume the saves are from the shootout, not during the 90 minutes.

Yep. Borjan saved kicks number 4 and 5 in the shootout. I didn't see the game, but according to my phone app commentary, he made a "tremendous" and then a "wonderful" save to win it.

• 2 weeks later...