Island Games - Best Canadians?

12 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Actually, they may not need a bridge for Baldisimo.  I kept asking myself all night - why has this guy not been playing!

At least should have seen time in MiB but MDS implied he was not ready.   But I never thought Metcalfe would see the field again and he started in these last two matches and now Baldi is in.  Perhaps this was a Schuster directive?  

Since RB is a sore spot and we are in Canada, where's Mikumbalwa?  

On 8/24/2020 at 9:25 PM, toontownman said:

Acuna if they have any sense. Especially as he might be available in two weeks should Ottawa drop out. 

Return of Camargo/Bustos? Aleman? They could certainly do with Zator and Dunn! 

Knowing the caps its probably Fordyce. 

Fordyce could prob play at the MLS level at least on loan 

10 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I find the blowback on Bekker interesting.

The Whitecaps need someone now.  Not someone who'll be great in three years like Baldisimo.  If they are looking at CanPL, why wouldn't they look at Bekker?

Forget about age, forget about potential.  If you are looking at the best, most consistent Canadian in a midfield role, I don't think you could look at anyone but Bekker if you are looking to solve a problem now.

Looks like Bekker is the Caps target but Forge needs him now as well with the Island games (potentially Canadian championship) and CONCACAF League.

Would be logical for Forge to sell after CONCACAF League when they'd have time to replace him

Edited by Ansem

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 8:27 AM, BearcatSA said:

No.  Baldisimo has similar skill set strengths, is ten years younger, and was one of the (very) few Caps who showed promise vs the Impact.  Give him his chance, please. 

Baldisimo is both the now for the remainder of this season as well as the future.  Good things are happening with him on the pitch.  Find a young, Cancon midfield destroyer type instead.

Now that the round robin is over, which Canadians have stood out?

Certainly, Bustos is in there.  Farsi has played well consistently as has Ongaro. Abzi warrants a look too.

On the other hand, Babouli has been a little inconsistent, but still stands out at times.

Kadin Chung, Zator (mostly), and others.

YOur thoughts? Care to offer an Island Games Canadian All - XI?

BTW, Edmonton's David Doe looked really good in his short play today.

Aparicio has stepped up in a big way, with those free kicks and IMO more mature than last season. 

Agree about Chung. 

Oddly the only keeper you could really laud in the entire tournament is Oxner--am I wrong? I think, oddly, that Carducci has not been a real standout, not like last season. Oxner has progressed very well from amateur and university to this level of pro. 

Up to now..

Oxner

Chung  Zator   Dunn   Awuah 

Di Chiara  Bekker  Sissoko

Bustos                               Farsi

Ongaro

That isn't likely the best Canadian XI, but it is who has impressed me the most this tournament. Obviously Henry or Carducci could easily replace Oxner. Edgar and plenty of other names could be at CB, likewise CM. Also a little uneasy with Ongaro who didn't have the greatest tournament. That isn't strictly his fault though and as of now he is the top Canadian goalscoring striker in the league. Guess that can certainly change! If anything I would go without a striker and put in an extra standout mid!

Edited by toontownman
Got carried away. Bent isn't Canadian.....yet!

• 1 month later...