Island Games - Best Canadians?

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Dunn is a TFC player anyway, but CB is probably the only position that the Whitecaps actually have some decent depth.

I think he was intimating it was a midfielder he was after. Does say someone in CPL either way.

The do have decent depth in numbers, just not quality. Potential at best but questionable. 

Short term loan of Acuna would be decent tbh. Could tie them over until the new year.

14 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Sissoko had been on trial in preseason.  That's why I was asking about how he was doing with HFX.  Athletic ball winner type who might allow Owusu to do more offensive stuff because the thought was that he was more of an 8.  I really think they are looking to tighten up the midfield without having to go with a five man back line all the time.  I don't see a 10 type coming in from domestic leagues.

Made the team of the week 

Not saying he's getting into the CMNT picture but if we're talking best Canadians this season Joseph Di Chiara has to be in the discussion. 

Taken out of the strict defensive midfielder role and allowed to be more of a box to box player he's been everything in the midfield for Y9 this season. He's played every minute thus far, is leading the team in goals, he creates chances, holds to ball well and passes the ball with accuracy.  In taking on more of an offensive role he hasn't slouched on the defensive end either leading in multiple defensive categories.

As it stands right now Di Chiara should be in the discussion for Island Games MVP.

1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

Not saying he's getting into the CMNT picture but if we're talking best Canadians this season Joseph Di Chiara has to be in the discussion. 

Taken out of the strict defensive midfielder role and allowed to be more of a box to box player he's been everything in the midfield for Y9 this season. He's played every minute thus far, is leading the team in goals, he creates chances, holds to ball well and passes the ball with accuracy.  In taking on more of an offensive role he hasn't slouched on the defensive end either leading in multiple defensive categories.

As it stands right now Di Chiara should be in the discussion for Island Games MVP.

He really is a workhorse. I think he’s under appreciated by a lot of people, probably because he’s not a flashy player, but his contribution on the field is substantial. 

I find the blowback on Bekker interesting.

The Whitecaps need someone now.  Not someone who'll be great in three years like Baldisimo.  If they are looking at CanPL, why wouldn't they look at Bekker?

Forget about age, forget about potential.  If you are looking at the best, most consistent Canadian in a midfield role, I don't think you could look at anyone but Bekker if you are looking to solve a problem now.

2 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I find the blowback on Bekker interesting.

The Whitecaps need someone now.  Not someone who'll be great in three years like Baldisimo.  If they are looking at CanPL, why wouldn't they look at Bekker?

Forget about age, forget about potential.  If you are looking at the best, most consistent Canadian in a midfield role, I don't think you could look at anyone but Bekker if you are looking to solve a problem now.

That was sort of my thinking on it as well but I didn't want to start a debate. 

33 minutes ago, Big_M said:

they dont even need a player at cm..teibert baldisimo metcalfe owusu bikel rose..if they wanna bring someone it has to be higher quality to really bring something more

And thats the main point. @El Hombre

Bekker is great in the CPL. But to be great in the MLS, is guaranteeing Cavallini will score all his penalties. And plus if they were watching him yesterday,  Di Chiaria just showed if you put pressure on his ass, he will drop deeper to non-existence.

I have watched the Caps a ton and during MDS's time his midfield has really needed that mobile athletic disruptor presence, like a Diego Chara, someone who can win the ball and then dish it off to the linking mids and creative types as well as help an often beleaguered back line.   They have had too many guys who are linking/keep possession-rolling-types who have struggled at shutting down the opposition's midfield and getting the ball back, hence they get sand kicked in their faces and dominated in the middle of the park, followed by carnival arcade shooting gallery.  There is hope for Bikel but he can't help the team from the physio room.  That's why I am intrigued with Sissoko's progress because it sounds like he might fit the bill, now and for the future.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I have watched the Caps a ton and during MDS's time his midfield has really needed that mobile athletic disruptor presence, like a Diego Chara, someone who can win the ball and then dish it off to the linking mids and creative types as well as help an often beleaguered back line.   They have had too many guys who are linking/keep possession-rolling-types who have struggled at shutting down the opposition's midfield and getting the ball back, hence they get sand kicked in their faces and dominated in the middle of the park, followed by carnival arcade shooting gallery.  There is hope for Bikel but he can't help the team from the physio room.  That's why I am intrigued with Sissoko's progress because it sounds like he might fit the bill, now and for the future.

I watched both CPL games yesterday and you are describing DiChiara as the player they need much more than Sissoko (or Bekker).

Di Chara sounds like he has had a really good tourney but for a journeyman guy pushing 30, I'm not sure he'd have that much of an influence in the Caps midfield now let alone down the road.  

The Caps have had a good look at Sissoko in preseason and I genuinely believe they liked what they saw in him but decided to hold off taking him on.

At this point, Schuster is building for next year and beyond.  Better to look for that younger, MAK late bloomer on a lower wage, which Sissoko might become.

Good points.  But maybe DiChiara (didn't realize he was that old!) can be the bridge for a couple years to Baldisimo?  I have to say, Baldisimo looked damn impressive the other night vs. Impact.  Sissoko didn't really impress me that much if I'm honest.  I liked N'sa much more.  And isn't Sissoko 24?