Theo Corbeanu

jordan

That was about 6 minutes of play, he was the left mid with intention to attack, did not have time to do much. Granada was outplayed but got an early own goal to their advantage and held. 

I only watched the last 15 or so. I think he did not take advantage of his start a few weeks back, at this level you have to make it happen if they give you a starting job. 

The point puts Granada 10 back of Celta to avoid relegation, Celta play tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2024 at 4:04 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

They won handily, he stayed on the bench. Gotta take your chances when you see them, Theo.

If he was getting a ton of chances, I could understand this comment. But he has only one start and 146 minutes from seven games.

Yet, even playing for a crap team, he still bagged a goal against solid opposition. 

I wonder if Granada is just benching him to ensure no one notices his quality and so they can just drag him down to Segunda. 

He needs to take every opportunity -- that is true. Thing is, it should be to impress other La Liga teams and leave Granada. That should be the motivation. 

On 4/19/2024 at 5:06 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I only watched the last 15 or so. I think he did not take advantage of his start a few weeks back, at this level you have to make it happen if they give you a starting job. 

This is true, but it's also a ridiculous way of evaluating a player's ability to contribute. No player produces at the same level every game, and it takes time to play effectively with a new team. You need to give a player a run of games to truly get a sense of what they can do. But Corbeanu has been given a chance at other teams, and just never seems to stick, even though he has put up numbers in some of the places he's been. There must be something else going on with him that makes managers stick him on the bench.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Cicero said:

This is true, but it's also a ridiculous way of evaluating a player's ability to contribute. No player produces at the same level every game, and it takes time to play effectively with a new team. You need to give a player a run of games to truly get a sense of what they can do. But Corbeanu has been given a chance at other teams, and just never seems to stick, even though he has put up numbers in some of the places he's been. There must be something else going on with him that makes managers stick him on the bench.

He'll get minutes, he just has to be patient. Pellistri will likely go back to Manchester United, to do whatever with him; then Azuni their leading striker is rumoured to stay in La Liga, like with Las Palmas. Boye is ageing and ineffective, same with José Callejón, they'll lose 4 attacking pieces for next season in 2nd tier and Theo will have to step up and help lead the charge to get back into top flight. They'll be one of the favourites, one of 5-6 teams favoured to promote back up. So that is a strong enough calling card at his age, it is where Kone and Millar are and it should be good enough for Canada too, a top level 2nd tier.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 11:27 AM, Cicero said:

All this needs to be emphasized, it can't just be coincidence.  Like you say, he's always gotten starts with new teams quickly, puts up good numbers, just for the starts to dry up equally as quickly.  Worst of all, no team has seemed interested in keeping him even with the obvious skill and physical attributes.  Something off-field definitely seems to be going on here.

Edited by costarg

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

All this needs to be emphasized, it can't just be coincidence.  Like you say, he's always gotten starts with new teams quickly, puts up good numbers, just for the starts to dry up equally as quickly.  Worst of all, no team has seemed interested in keeping him even if the obvious skill and physical attributes.  Something off-field definitely seems to be going on here.

Whatever the case, now would be a great time to see him come on. Granada down 2-zip with just over a half-hour left. 

46 minutes ago, costarg said:

All this needs to be emphasized, it can't just be coincidence.  Like you say, he's always gotten starts with new teams quickly, puts up good numbers, just for the starts to dry up equally as quickly.  Worst of all, no team has seemed interested in keeping him even with the obvious skill and physical attributes.  Something off-field definitely seems to be going on here.

Anyone know of some examples of players who end up settling and succeeding after so many back to back loans?

image.png.55d34aeaa91acbf834be9d0ecab590da.png

Very Ugboesque vibe here.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

Anyone know of some examples of players who end up settling and succeeding after so many back to back loans?

What I see from this is a player who has made appearances and produced somewhat decently, despite the constant moves while with Wolves. And he's in La Liga now, which is a testament to his success at Grasshopper and is more than we can say for a lot of players.

Next up, Real Madrid. What an experience that will be. 

49 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the EPL is ruthless. There is so much competition that lots of guys go out on loan back-to-back. I'm not saying it's great for development, but there are many examples. 

Depends what level we are comparing Theo to and where we can see him eventually but if you look at guys like Jake Livermore (currently Kone's teammate) and Andros Townsend.  They carved out decent careers between the Premier League and leagues just below after famously being loaned out numerous times (more than 5 each I am willing to say).

1 hour ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the EPL is ruthless. There is so much competition that lots of guys go out on loan back-to-back. I'm not saying it's great for development, but there are many examples. 

Not just that. They also hoarde talent

Let's just see what happens. They lost 3-0 today and basically have no chance to stay up. I would welcome Theo finding a better side than staying with Granada in Segunda. In this case, change wouldn't be the worst thing, even if it means another move. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

They signed him, it's not a loan. You pay money for a player, it's different. They have to play him next year, this year they've been taking this wild stab at avoiding relegation and the coaches aren't thinking about anything else.

But come on, Theo, step up!