WNT Pre World Cup Thread

Figured we should start a thread for the team, not just for fans prepping to watch them. 

I watched part of Spain-Cameroon today, with Spain missing 5-6 players still and not having called up the final WC roster, and they destroyed them, 4-0.

Really the rival looked poor, on a lot of levels. I would say it is a must win for Canada starting the WC. 

One thing I saw was that the backline was disorganised, and the keeper though tall, did not hold onto any balls, everything got punched away. They are error prone but athletic going forward. You just have to hit them and pressure them and they'll crack, they are not, or really should not, be a rival for us. 

Our group will come down to which of us or Holland can also ensure a win vs. NZ, assuming Cameroon loses three times. 4 points may not be enough to get out of the group. 

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

No surprises. Vanessa Gilles and Jade Rose may be a bit disappointed to miss out, but I'm not shocked that they were left out given their lack of playing time with the senior national team.

2 hours ago, DoyleG said:

Rose is in the lineup now. Matheson had to pull out due to a foot injury 

Deanne Rose is in the squad, but I was referring to 16 year old Jade Rose. I believe that Gilles and her were the only players called to the Mexico game who did not make the final 23 for the World Cup.

Question was whether they'd get another midfielder to replace Matheson, but I'm guessing that Quinn will play at midfield at the World Cup. I was talking to Sam the other day (before we knew about McLeod and Matheson) and he mentioned the fact that Hellstrom wasn't on the team and I remember thinking oh shoot I totally forgot about the Swedish based players. It wasn't mentioned that they would miss out the Mexico friendly due to club commitments. Most media only mentioned Buchanan being absent, but no one mentioned the other 3 players who eventually made the roster. 

Jade Rose and Giles have no caps, so you can't expect them to be selected. Rose looks promising for the Olympic team. Good to see Hellstrom made it. 

Veterans have slowly been moved out. Only Sinclair remains from 02 breakout team. Only Sinclair, Scott & Schmidt remain from the London team - and I expect 1 of them at least won't be on the Tokyo team and it should be the last WC for all three.

For the future, goalkeeping and back line depth look solid. Players like Grosso and Carle will need to step up to shore up the midfield and we'll need 2-3 more starters to emerge. Likewise for forwards, Huitema will need to fulfill her destiny and we'll really need to improve our pipeline of younger strikers.

Edited by red card

Some notable stats from FiFA report based on all team's roster:

Canada at 25 has fourth youngest team after Jamaica, Japan & Spain. USA is oldest at average age of 29.

Christine Sinclair and Marta are two of nine players who have scored in four Women’s World Cups and the only ones with a chance to increase that record to five. 

Canada has the second least amount of players in domestic leagues. FIFA says 2 but it is only a disappointing one (Riviere). Only Jamaica is lower at 0.

USA has most players at WC playing in their leagues with Spain second. FCB has most players amongst clubs at 15 with Lyon second at 14.

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/m1msxtyr8oygcaezlkfa.pdf

1 hour ago, red card said:

Canada has the second least amount of players in domestic leagues. FIFA says 2 but it is only a disappointing one (Riviere). Only Jamaica is lower at 0.

The only thing more disappointing than that would be having more than two national team players in our domestic leagues.  The team wouldn't be very good if that were the case.

It's disappointing that we don't have any high-level domestic leagues, but given that's the case, I like the stat to be low.

Edited by rkomar

2 hours ago, red card said:

Some notable stats from FiFA report based on all team's roster:

Canada at 25 has fourth youngest team after Jamaica, Japan & Spain. USA is oldest at average age of 29.

Christine Sinclair and Marta are two of nine players who have scored in four Women’s World Cups and the only ones with a chance to increase that record to five. 

USA has most players at WC playing in their leagues with Spain second. FCB has most players amongst clubs at 15 with Lyon second at 14.

https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/m1msxtyr8oygcaezlkfa.pdf

Sorry that did not show in the Champions final, they wiped our butts. 

FCB is signing players with money from a deal from Stanley as a sponsor, but we are not really signing the best, or not getting the best out of them. And we don't have the best coaches, and neither does Spain, with Vilda. 

I know national pride does not work that way, but you have to sign the best possible elite coach if you want results, apart from seeking to ensure the core of the NT is elite as well. 

I'm feeling very optimistic going into this tournament.  I feel like the "media/experts" aren't giving us much of a chance - but I think/hope we are gonna surprise some people.

We have a ton of depth, a solid back line, and finally have lots of other options to pop in some goals other than Sinclair.

No, the women's team defense is the best part of the team. They have largely kept clean sheets in their friendlies. Labbe will still make a poor judgement play and Chapman will still make a clumsy tackle here and there. But otherwise, the starting back line is solid and also key cogs in the attack. 3 play in the French league. Scott still has it and Schmidt is probably better in the back. Back ups like Riviere have also looked good. 

KHM also seems to focus on defense first which has meant limited chances for opposing teams. The downside of this and the real weakness of the team is not scoring goals and creating chances. Sinclair will pot one every match but she is no longer a constant threat. The non-starters have looked more dynamic but KHM hasn't been giving them much minutes. 

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

I still remember Lauren Sesselmann's goof.  The worst part was that the Preacher kept her on the team.

False. She wasn't invited to a camp after that because Herdman knew he was moving away from the veterans and liked what he saw from the younger players from PanAm games and never invited her bakc.

5 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Nike just released one of their famous world cup ad's. It's really cool but have to say im disapointed that Canada, sponsored by Nike and having a higher ranking than other teams featured, wasn't included.

Janine Beckie agrees.

I remember my feelings about Sesselmann were different.  We had no one better for the position, so I was grateful that she was there.  She was quick and brave, and not afraid to head the ball, which was uncommon among the rest of the defenders of the time.  And it's not like she stepped on the ball most of the time it came to her.  It was a one-off blunder, so I can forgive that.

Right after the tournament, our young up-and-comers played in the Panam games.  They showed well, but weren't good enough to beat the better teams in that tournament.  So, they definitely weren't ready to replace the players we had in the World Cup at that time.

4 hours ago, rkomar said:

I remember my feelings about Sesselmann were different.  We had no one better for the position, so I was grateful that she was there.  She was quick and brave, and not afraid to head the ball, which was uncommon among the rest of the defenders of the time.  And it's not like she stepped on the ball most of the time it came to her.  It was a one-off blunder, so I can forgive that.

Right after the tournament, our young up-and-comers played in the Panam games.  They showed well, but weren't good enough to beat the better teams in that tournament.  So, they definitely weren't ready to replace the players we had in the World Cup at that time.

We had Chapman for that position.  Sesselmann natural position was forward, hence the problem was created by Herdman slotting her in defense.

We had Chapman for that position.  Sesselmann natural position was forward, hence the problem was created by Herdman slotting her in defense.

Chapman was long gone after the 2012 Olympics. I think she played one year after the Olympics in NWSL and that was it. I don't know if it was her decision of the CSA's decision on moving on. However, they had to play most of the group stage iwthout her and Sesselmann stepped up. Yes, she had a poor Women's World Cup in 2015, but it's not like we had great defenders to back her. Could they have moved on from certain defenders or tried someone like Kaylyn Kyle who was at a point starting at centre back over a Canadian national team centre back on her club team? But, that was the only thing that I thought maybe that could be better.

Chapman played left back in that game.  Sesselmann was a center back.  Our only other options for center back were Zurrer and Moscato.  I liked Moscato, but I think she was getting too old at that point.

Edit: Oops.  Not sure which Chapman we are talking about here.  I was talking about the one who was still playing at the time.

Edited by rkomar

I thought Sesselmann did a good job as an LB, especially with providing service from the wing when on the attack.  She didn't have great recovery pace (knee issues didn't help) but she was a good tackler.  I thought she did quite well being slotted into an emergency (at the time) CB at London in 2012, including her run and cross which set up the winner in the bronze medal match.  She was coming back from a long knee injury layoff prior to WWC 2015 so I'm not surprised rustiness and confidence were a problem but I thought it was telling that Herdman persisted with her instead of other veterans (Moscato, Chapman, Gayle) to partner Buchanan.  Also notable:  there probably was some dissension because of this but it seemed to stay in the dressing room (I couldn't imagine that happening with our men's squad:  we'd see somebody beaking off in a sulky manner with, "You'll have to ask the manager," when asked by a media member).