2018 CONCACAF Women's U-20 Championship

tc-in-bc

Great game for Canada again.  3 wins in 5 days is very impressive, especially with scoring 11 goals and only giving up 2.  I having a feeling that they will be playing the US in the semi-finals, as the US haven't looked very impressive so far.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The commentators have mentioned many times that the field is a bit soggy, and takes more work to get around on than if it were dry.  Despite that, our players look to be in decent shape physically even after three games in such a short time.  It's good that they didn't have to give maximum effort today, though.

I wonder if either Mexico or USA will rest players like Haiti did, or if they will make a serious effort to win to avoid Canada in the first round?

[ 1 ] I don't  think the USA  ever fears playing Canada.

[ 2 ] If Mexico dress a strong roster and play for an upset over  the USA in today's  final Group B  meeting for both sides  then a Mexico win would put them  into  a semi-final with Haiti ( instead of Canada ) and maybe a better shot at  getting into the 1st place game ( with  immediate qualification for the 2018  U20 WWC France) .

It looks like USA is definitely going for the win.  Probably the same for Mexico, although I'm not as familiar with their line-up.

Edit: commentators mentioned that Mexico did not field their strongest squad.  They still kept the game close, so we'll have our hands full against them next game.

14 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

We're gonna play Mexico on Friday in the semis after the US won today's game 2-1.

I was surprised at how poor the Mexicans were at getting out of their own end. All their goal kicks were played short to the fullbacks and the American's high press forced a turnover or intercepted the pass. I think this is something Canada can take advantage of.

This is going to be our first true test at this tourney.  I feel that how well we are able to play in Mexico's final third could be a huge factor. We need to play in the final on Sunday!!!

The other semi is one of those games that the longer it stays tied the better Haiti will feel and the pressure on the US will mount. The first team to score will be a huge factor.  Haiti tends to play like a wet blanket and in the past has resorted to persistent fouling  which can  disrupt their opponents rhythm. They also have shown mental fragility.    

I think generally the US is tougher mentally than they are physically at this tourney.    

I'm looking forward to both semis!!  

2008 semi:  Canada 2-1 Mexico (0-0 HT) (Robinson, Filigno)(Charlyn Corral)
2010 semi:  Canada 0-1 Mexico AET (Charlyn Corral)
2012 group:  Canada 1-0 Mexico (1-0 HT) (Legault-Cordisco)
2014:  automatic qualification as U20WC hosts
2015:  semi:  Canada 0-0 Mexico (5-4 on PKs)

2008 group:  USA 3-0 Mexico
2010 group:  USA 1-0 Mexico
2012 semi:  USA 4-0 Mexico
2014 final:  USA 4-0 Mexico
2015 group:  USA 2-2 Mexico
2018 group:  USA 2-1 Mexico

The US was up 2-0 on Mexico in their group game and gave up a goal in the last 15. Mexico's goal was their only shot on goal in the game.

Association press is notoriously rose-coloured but a direct US Soccer quote is they "stayed busy inside the Mexico penalty area for the entire 90 minutes."

Haiti ties it with a minute left in extra-time. Mondesir on a quality finish with her thigh... just when I was lamenting finesse in the box. They had a good crack a few minutes before the American GK just tipped over the bar as well.

Very entertaining 2 semi-finals.  Unfortunately it had to come down to penalties in both games, but congratulations to USA and Mexico for making the finals.  Canada didn't play too poorly, but they were definitely more sloppy than in the group stage.  I'm confident that they'll be able to take care of business in the 3rd place game.

Archived