2018 CONCACAF Women's U-20 Championship

tc-in-bc

37 minutes ago, MrsC said:

It won’t? That’s really dumb. Is it because they expect attendance to be low, or is there some other reason?

I'm guessing it's the first reason and also because they've hosted EURO 3 years before the WWC, so it's not that much needed and I do think that having all the tournament in Brittany means a lot less of expenses for travelling and that teams don't need to travel much. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, MrsC said:

It won’t? That’s really dumb. Is it because they expect attendance to be low, or is there some other reason?

Yeah, it is weird but France has had lots of soccer in the past year or so and will have more soon. With Euro 2016 and WWC 2019 all in the country you can't expect Parisians to fill the Stade de France for a U20 tourney. I guess that warrants holding the tournament in small stadiums in towns nobody has heard of.

Game starts in a bit.  Pretty much the same main lineup that they've been using the whole tournament.  Ariel Young in for the probably injured Hannah Taylor, and Tanya Boychuk in for Shana Flynn.  We're going to see a very different Haiti squad from the side that Canada beat in the group stage.  I am a big fan of Ariel Young, but she hasn't played much this tournament, hopefully she and Antoine will be able to contain Mondesir.

Not a very good half for us obviously, not a lot of cohesion in our play although we were showing signs of improvement late in the half, Haiti are a very dirty team and are using the intimidation factor quite well, we could have had a Red though for a stupid elbow that usually gets called against us in CONCACAF! Who the hell is this biased colour commentator "What do I know about football" dude, he is becoming more annoying the longer we are losing?

Edit: The biased commentator is none other than Terry Fenwick who was one of my favourites while playing for Queens Park Rangers in the 80's!:D

On 14/3/2016 at 12:08 PM, rob.notenboom said:

My understanding of the situation that Herdman/Priestman inherited was a program in serious jeopardy of serious backsliding (at the U17/U20 level I mean) and what they've done is to at least stave that off. That's not necessarily something to get all celebratory about, but neither is it something negative that would require their dismissal. Additionally I mentioned elsewhere that I've heard nothing but good things from parents, players, and coaches about the two, and I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to talk with several who have no reason to defend them unless they meant it. 

On 14/3/2016 at 9:40 AM, rob.notenboom said:

A 2-1 loss to Haiti gives as little reason to fire Priestman, without more evidence than the score, as the 4-2 win vs Haiti gives that she's a genius. 

So, 22 months later, and having lost 0-1 to Haiti, is this still all true? Is the program backsliding? Or are we simply static while Haiti have (with super limited ressources), managed to get Marc Collat, who coached the Haiti senior Men's National Team and Stade de Reims (got them promoted from 3rd division France to Ligue 2 and became coach again when they were in Ligue 2).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Collat

A shocking 1-0 loss, but massive congratulations to Haiti for their play in the semi-finals and 3rd place match.  Obviously it is a massive disappointment for Canada not to qualify for the U20 world cup.  Canada started off the tournament very strong in the group stage, but did not provide any spark in the semi-finals and 3rd place game.  The tactics as the tournament went on were quite questionable.  Not much rotation of players, same formation game in and game out, and they played 5 games in 11 days!  It must have been very tough for the players to play so many minutes, and it definitely showed.  Lots of walking from our defenders happening and not tracking back, which allowed Haitian counterattacks later in the game.  Not qualifying for the world cup is disappointing, but remember that it went down to penalty kicks in both semi-finals, so any combination of teams could have taken the 3 spots.

Just now, Benjamin Massey said:

I would like to not congratulate Haiti, who between this and this same generation at the U-17s are the most disgraceful team I have ever seen. I hope they experience nothing but pain and agony on the soccer field.

I think I will cheer for Haiti all the more because of that comment. @Blackdude and I may even have a viewing party in your honour. :lol:

Tournament format is a marathon and by the end everyone is so overwhelmed and I would argue mentally more than physically. And playing a simpler variation of the game like Haiti is a lot easier when you're mentally burnt out.

Twenty years ago the difference between women's U20 and senior wasn't so much. Now it's night and day.

Women's is now full time professionals and U20 is kids in school. The difference in things like decision making, comprehension of play and principles, strength, etc is considerable.

The game seems so naive compared to women's international and pro.

Unfortunately could only catch the last third but throughout the tournament I felt like I was watching school teams play.

And when the ability to control possession and dictate play is low, tactics and coaching become of far less importance.

The Americans were lucky to get by Haiti in PKs, so they're not a flash in the pan. Until you learn more game intelligence an athletic physical team can be very disruptive.

I'm sure everyone will grow and learn from it. Players, coaches and program. We have some great prospects but again, they all have a lot of work to do it they want to become strong senior internationals.

Like to give thanks to the young ladies and the staff for all their hard work and commitment.

Reminded back to that great Even Pellerud soliloquy about "it's a great game..." 

Wish I could quote it verbatim, it went something like: "it's a great game. The fans, the media, being role models for young girls. It's a great game. The pain and the bleeding, the getting cut from teams, the injuries. The travel, the lifelong friendships etc"

He went back and forth between the ups and downs repeatedly. It was one of the best speeches about the game I've seen.

In the life of an athlete (and coach) there will be plenty of ups and downs. Keep them in perspective, user them as motivation and never stop believing in yourself.

The quote I came across this week which is most apropos is:

"It's ok if you fall down and lose your spark. Just make sure that when you get back up, you rise as the whole damn fire."

And we have a new champion!  Thought they were the best team in the tournament so glad they won. They have a couple of wonderful players and they finally have a quality goalkeeper. That's foreboding for our seniors down the road. I thought what really stood out for the Mexicans was their confidence. Not sure if that was from the coaching or the team selection, but it took them to the podium.

Maya Antoine and Jordyn Huitema made the tournament Best 11.  Congratulations to them on the individual accolades. Strong tournaments and solid play. That said, Huitema was ineffective in the semi and final and Antoine fell asleep and drifted out of position on the goal that knocked us out. 

Women's is now full time professionals and U20 is kids in school. ..

Could this be because 12 of 20 on the Canadian roster are still in High school? Canada had 3 true U20 players while Mexico and the US had a total of 15. Canada also had 7 U17 players while the US and Mexico had a combined total of 0 U17. The girls worked hard, but difficult to justify the make-up of the group.

5 minutes ago, The Ref said:

In my view Chenard gifted the U.S. on their goal as the Mexican keeper was fouled to the ground.

Missed it, curious now for the replay. I saw her do an earlier game and between that and today pretty much everything I saw was well handled.

Mexico U20 is coached by Christopher Cuellar, son of the old fox Leonardo Cuellar, now retired, who took Mexico to new heights.  He must have passed his experience to his son.  Well done!  I remember L. Cuellar when he used to play for Mexico, it was the guy with all that hair.

Archived